Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Badalassi Leather - Black

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
Greetings everyone

I am in the process of ordering an Aero Cafe racer, leather-wise i am leaning towards the Black Badalassi steerhide. Has anyone had any in-depth experience with the Badalassi in black?

Is it the right kind of leather for a style like the cafe racer?

Many thanks

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
My fit jacket from Thurston was a Board racer in Tobacco Badalassi. I thought it was a wonderful leather, if a little noisy. I understand this diminishes over time.

Many here love CXL on moto jackets, but you have to out a lot of work to get it to break in.

As far as the color, black is classic For the cafe racer.

Damon141

Practically Family
It makes an excellent boot I know that. I wonder how Badalassi compares to the good thick vintage steer hide that was used in the vintage 40’s and 50’s jackets that are still around. Before the 60’s 70’s jackets that had that shiny leather that peels.

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
It makes an excellent boot I know that. I wonder how Badalassi compares to the good thick vintage steer hide that was used in the vintage 40’s and 50’s jackets that are still around. Before the 60’s 70’s jackets that had that shiny leather that peels.
Sleek-in-leather1.jpg

Something like this?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I wonder how Badalassi compares to the good thick vintage steer hide that was used in the vintage 40’s and 50’s jackets that are still around.

Basalassi is vegetable tanned full aniline leather. Unlike the chrome tanned leathers of the 50s it doesn't have a topcoat, therefore it's probably not as water resistant. Unlike the 50s hides it will darken over time.

50s chrome tanned steerhide

FD2EB265-3E35-4487-B320-E4888A9CC1AB.jpeg
9CE831D4-8507-47AB-95B0-E6B2199CAADE.jpeg
87F0C917-22B0-4516-B5F7-CFDB6C426980.jpeg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Initially I was all about clx and vintage-styled patina but I have come to a point in my jacket journey where I favor a rugged chrome tanned leather that doesn‘t show wear too soon. Nothing like a broken in jacket that shows tons of grain but doesn‘t have all these scratches and discolorations most veg tanned hides develop fairly quickly..

That being said, Badalassi appears to be a great compromise between the super quick wearing clx and say an ever-new looking goatskin hide. Apparently it is very squeaky though!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have Black Bada on my Aero Orig. Herc.

I believe it works well for a Kaff Racer. You will want the Racer to fit pretty closely (other than say a 1930s or 50s Sport jacket), and than very stiff hides can be a nuisance. Badalassi is very pliable and molds to your body contours pretty quickly. It´s still a substantial hide.

In terms of overall impression, Badalassi is a rather luxurious looking and feeling hide. If you want your Cafe Racer to look more on the functional ("badass") side of things, don´t mess with flashy extras like constrats stitching, but keep it simple.

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
That being said, Badalassi appears to be a great compromise between the super quick wearing clx and say an ever-new looking goatskin hide. Apparently it is very squeaky though!
The general consensus seems to be that the Badalassi is sort of a middle ground between the Vincenza HH and the CXL. It's more significant than the Vicenza in terms of thickness, stiffness and weight, although lacking somewhat in those departments compared to the CXL. I've owned Vicenza before, i've tried the CXL. The Badalassi seems like the logical next step.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
The general consensus seems to be that the Badalassi is sort of a middle ground between the Vincenza HH and the CXL. It's more significant than the Vicenza in terms of thickness, stiffness and weight, although lacking somewhat in those departments compared to the CXL. I've owned Vicenza before, i've tried the CXL. The Badalassi seems like the logical next step.

Based on personal experience, I tend to agree. The Vicenza I have is underwhelming. However, there are voices from very emiment members of our forum saying the new batch8es) of Vicenza are excellent. just saying...

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
I have Black Bada on my Aero Orig. Herc.

I believe it works well for a Kaff Racer. You will want the Racer to fit pretty closely (other than say a 1930s or 50s Sport jacket), and than very stiff hides can be a nuisance. Badalassi is very pliable and molds to your body contours pretty quickly. It´s still a substantial hide.

In terms of overall impression, Badalassi is a rather luxurious looking and feeling hide. If you want your Cafe Racer to look more on the functional ("badass") side of things, don´t mess with flashy extras like constrats stitching, but keep it simple.
I've read that the black Badalassi is quite stiff when you first get it, and then it molds to your body (as you mentioned), it almost stretches? Do you have any pictures of your Herc by any chance?

I'm going with all standard, all black Cafe Racer, will probably add a yoke for some back structure.

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
Based on personal experience, I tend to agree. The Vicenza I have is underwhelming. However, there are voices from very emiment members of our forum saying the new batch8es) of Vicenza are excellent. just saying...
I agree with you. I ordered a Cafe Racer in summer 2019 in the black Vincenza, whilst the build quality was amazing, the leather felt insignificant.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Badalassi is great. I have a board racer in tobacco and a premier highwayman in black. Definitely somewhere between most Vicenza and a thick CXL. The black batch that I received is thicker than the tobacco, and it’s also thicker than the last CXL horsehide Sheene that I had, but not quite as thick as a black CXL highwayman i had as well. Due to its pliable nature it seems to be breaking in more quickly than CXL, and I personally prefer the Badi in black over CXL, simply because my batch of black CXL went teacore VERY quickly. Badalassi IS squeaky, but seems to quiet over time. I’ve read here In another thread where others have conditioned the seams with success in shushing it. I’m also a big fan of blackened brown Vicenza, and I would have trouble deciding between that and Badi on the next black one I have made up. A thick, grainy batch of BB Vicenza is a thing of beauty. For riding, I’d choose thicker Badalassi out of the three.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Since you had experience with both Vicenza and CXL already I agree Badalassi is the logical next step!
Black Badalassi is same thickness as Black CXL FQHH. But a lot more pliable, especially when starting cold. It also looks the most "refined" out of the three. Has the deepest shine of the three. It's all black, no brown no grey, just black. It feels stretchy because it's thick and pliable but it doesn't actually expand/stretch, just feels that it does.

From left to right, CXL (light brown teacore) / Blacken Brown Vicenza (medium brown teacore) / Badalassi (All black)

IMG_7623.JPG

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Since you had experience with both Vicenza and CXL already I agree Badalassi is the logical next step!
Black Badalassi is same thickness as Black CXL FQHH. But a lot more pliable, especially when starting cold. It also looks the most "refined" out of the three. Has the deepest shine of the three. It's all black, no brown no grey, just black. It feels stretchy because it's thick and pliable but it doesn't actually expand/stretch, just feels that it does.

From left to right, CXL (light brown teacore) / Blacken Brown Vicenza (medium brown teacore) / Badalassi (All black)

View attachment 456595
Wow, that CXL sleeve looks incredible. Completely different from the batch I had.

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face

View attachment 456595
Badalassi looks badass :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner