Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Barnstormer

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The seal brown is a lovely colour. Quite shamefully, having not even got my first one yet, I was looking at the Aero website last night, earmarking possible 'next purchase' candidates and I kept being drawn to a B-6 flight jacket. Does anyone who owns one of these, or tried them on, know if it's the kind of jacket that you'd get a lot of wear out of? I mean, beyond the depths of winter, is it a 'usable' purchase in say spring or autumn. I know the likes of the Luftwaffe shearling is such a hard core piece of leather that it's just too heavy for the UK climate, even up here, so I'm wondering if that's a general problem with flight jackets.

Last edited:
The seal brown is a lovely colour. Quite shamefully, having not even got my first one yet, I was looking at the Aero website last night, earmarking possible 'next purchase' candidates and I kept being drawn to a B-6 flight jacket. Does anyone who owns one of these, or tried them on, know if it's the kind of jacket that you'd get a lot of wear out of? I mean, beyond the depths of winter, is it a 'usable' purchase in say spring or autumn. I know the likes of the Luftwaffe shearling is such a hard core piece of leather that it's just too heavy for the UK climate, even up here, so I'm wondering if that's a general problem with flight jackets.
I live in California and I got my son an Aero B-3. Sure, it's not worn every day, but when he travels or,goes to the mountains, it's worth it's weight in gold. I happen to like the look of "redskin" B-3's, but I'm not a fan of some of the companies that make them. The B-3 I got is beautiful, if not the most "accurate" (for those stuck on such things). Neither of us are flying B-17's over Europe, so it'll do donkey - it'll do lol

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I live in California and I got my son an Aero B-3. Sure, it's not worn every day, but when he travels or,goes to the mountains, it's worth it's weight in gold. I happen to like the look of "redskin" B-3's, but I'm not a fan of some of the companies that make them. The B-3 I got is beautiful, if not the most "accurate" (for those stuck on such things). Neither of us are flying B-17's over Europe, so it'll do donkey - it'll do lol

Actually, how that I've had a look at it, that's a very lovely piece. I particularly like the seal-russet combination. I may just set up a little 'B-3 fund' at the start of the next year, with a little judicious saving it shouldn't be too hard to get the cash... I'm obviously losing my marbles here, but hell, it's fun!

Edward

Bartender

You're up in Scotland, if memory serves? I'd say go for it. I've never owned a B6, but I have an ELC Irvin and a LW B3 both, and they see plenty of wear down here in London from mid November through to early February. I'd say they're wearable for a good three months of the year, give or take. The B6 being that little bit lighter probably moreso.

Most of the experts I know have long preferred ELC over Aero in terms of all-out accuracy of their military jackets, but I had the impression the vibe was they were pretty much spot on with the B3? I could be wrong. Aero's "problem" with the Irvin seems to be with the sleeves (always look a bit too narrow / tubular in the photos, to my eye anyhow?), but the B3s look good. I agree, though, that in a civilian context I'd be happy to waive a couple of minor details i it overall looked "right" in favour of a bit of a price saving.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The full-body shearling flight suit Aero have on show in their wee museum is amazing, though I suspect impractical for a night in front of the telly.

You're up in Scotland, if memory serves? I'd say go for it. I've never owned a B6, but I have an ELC Irvin and a LW B3 both, and they see plenty of wear down here in London from mid November through to early February. I'd say they're wearable for a good three months of the year, give or take. The B6 being that little bit lighter probably moreso. Most of the experts I know have long preferred ELC over Aero in terms of all-out accuracy of their military jackets, but I had the impression the vibe was they were pretty much spot on with the B3? I could be wrong. Aero's "problem" with the Irvin seems to be with the sleeves (always look a bit too narrow / tubular in the photos, to my eye anyhow?), but the B3s look good. I agree, though, that in a civilian context I'd be happy to waive a couple of minor details i it overall looked "right" in favour of a bit of a price saving.
The B-3 I can't fault at all. But I'm not one of the experts on such things. I've read that those folks like ELC. I've never been a fan of the sheering hides I've seen sans a couple of their redskins. According to some, they use new hides now, and they're supposed to be better. The Aero B-3 I got for Dakota is a perfect jacket. If it's not 100% accurate, it doesn't matter to him or me. If I lived in a cold clime, I'd have a B-3 and B-6. Scotland qualifies for sure! :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Out of interest, and I'm not saying it's to be relied upon completely, but Wikipedia has this to say on shearlings: "The fibers of shearling tend to wick away moisture or retain moisture, depending on humidity, and thus a garment or item of footwear made from them tends to be comfortable year round."

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Sloan1874,
I have an Aero B6, I love it! I previously had an Irvin replica which I personally found a little too warm for more than a couple of months a year, the Aero B6 suits my needs just fine, I know it may not be as historically accurate as an Eastman(nothing against Eastman, I have one of their A2's), the fleece on an Aero B6 is thicker than an Eastman, I found the Eastman rather too thin for my needs, It is a jacket which you can wear in Autumn or Spring with just a single layer underneath, I also think the B6 has a very flattering shape from the rear and is slightly longer, I'm very pleased I went for the Aero version after a long deliberation!

D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Right, January 1st, the Aero shearling fund starts! Or, if my lottery numbers come up, then it's a long afternoon over in Galashiels...

Lear

One of the Regulars
Someone will drag this thread back on-topic. Until then... I'm also a wool sock person for summer. Anything else has my foot sitting in a pool of sweat. Wool can stay dirty/sweaty and won't smell like cotton does. I like the idea of having a FQHH jacket with wool lining. Might day do this one day, knowing it would limit its usage to a couple of months a year.

Really must investigate Smartwool in the UK. Currently using RM WIlliams, as they come in large sizes to fit a size UK 12 foot.

Now, back to the Barnstormer...

Lear

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - the socks 'thing' is GREAT and very valuable, but wrong thread 'here' and really deserves a 'thread of it's own' so it doesn't get lost - okay? thanks :)

BACK ON TOPIC please - thankyou Gents.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - the socks 'thing' is GREAT and very valuable, but wrong thread 'here' and really deserves a 'thread of it's own' so it doesn't get lost - okay? thanks :)

*It takes a fair amount of time to edit these things and move them to a new, more easily 'findable' area, so please try to stay on the thread topic so it doesn't become a mishmash :) Cheers*

NEW SOCK THREAD IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS

BACK ON TOPIC please - thankyou Gents.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Lol. Amazing how you get distracted. I was going to bring it back to the barnstormer - well, at least the collar - does anyone know if there's an issue with adding this on to an order post-the initial measuring etc? I'm guessing that much of the lag is just the backlog in orders, but I suppose there must be a point where people phone up endlessly shouting "just one more thing!" and asking for changes must become tiring for them.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
You can generally make changes up to the time the jacket gets produced usually 2-3 days before you will get it, however I wouldn't leave it that long, give Amanda or Will a ring and tell her what you want they will then let you know if it's OK

D

Edward

Bartender
Right, January 1st, the Aero shearling fund starts! Or, if my lottery numbers come up, then it's a long afternoon over in Galashiels...

Ha..... I'd be having a week up there to bother the Aero team, right after I'd dropped down the Row to Henry Poole and ordered up a dozen suits....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As they say, it's all about mind over matter: if you don't mind, then it doesn't matter... Oh, and if my numbers come up then it's Huntsman for me! I've lusted after one of their suits for years.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass