Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero "Black Soft Steerhide"?

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Looks very similar to my Vanson Comet when it was new.

Ya know, those pictures Carrie sent me are frankly surprising, as the jacket appears to have a very high sheen whereas, based on the sample I received, I was expecting something much more matte...so now I'm just confused as to what it really looks like in person.

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Sheen is likely the result of tuning the photo up in an editor.
Some filters do that as I notice most vendor's pics show sheen where the jackets and samples are often not.
Just sayin'
Not done to mislead, but make the photos look better.

You raise a good point--namely that photos can misrepresent a jacket's real-life sheen. I guess that's where the value of a sample lies.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Wow. Thanks to you all on this thread. So much very useful information, photos, details, and valuable experienced opinions. Very helpful to me as I am such a total newbie. My very first leather jacket in my life arrives Tuesday. I have never even touched or seen an Aero of any kind in person or even a sample, not to mention all the other high end jackets. So many details, possibilities, choices it is overwhelming, and will be somewhat abstract for another few days till my HBD Dark Seal Vicenza is on my back.

Didn't know there was such a thing as Italian soft horsehide. The side by side pictures were great, thanks. It looks beautiful, yet distinctive compared to the Vicenza, and especially the CXL FQHH. I kinda like the look of the texture of the Vicenza, even though I was going for a softer leather. I certainly don't have the patience to break in the CXL, although it does build so much character over time. I also had never heard of the the blackened-brown Vicenza either. Is it anything like the dark seal or even darker and closer to black? I was kinda going for somewhere in-between brown and black. I also had never heard of the black soft steerhide. Does it come in other colors as well? Also very interested to hear that it is a bit thicker than the Vicenza, so I think I made the right choice.

I don't do bikes but I loved the specifications on abrasion resistance although I probably only need to worry about falling over on the sidewalk. I am amazed at how much detail everyone gets into. I think I am becoming obsessive. I have measured myself probably 10 times since I sent off the payment to Thurston in order to try and figure out if I have the right size coming. I pretty much put my faith in Carrie's hands on most of the details, and got a stock jacket. Sorry to go on, I have never even been on a forum before. Thanks again everyone for all the information.

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Wow. Thanks to you all on this thread. So much very useful information, photos, details, and valuable experienced opinions. Very helpful to me as I am such a total newbie. My very first leather jacket in my life arrives Tuesday. I have never even touched or seen an Aero of any kind in person or even a sample, not to mention all the other high end jackets. So many details, possibilities, choices it is overwhelming, and will be somewhat abstract for another few days till my HBD Dark Seal Vicenza is on my back.

Didn't know there was such a thing as Italian soft horsehide. The side by side pictures were great, thanks. It looks beautiful, yet distinctive compared to the Vicenza, and especially the CXL FQHH. I kinda like the look of the texture of the Vicenza, even though I was going for a softer leather. I certainly don't have the patience to break in the CXL, although it does build so much character over time. I also had never heard of the the blackened-brown Vicenza either. Is it anything like the dark seal or even darker and closer to black? I was kinda going for somewhere in-between brown and black. I also had never heard of the black soft steerhide. Does it come in other colors as well? Also very interested to hear that it is a bit thicker than the Vicenza, so I think I made the right choice.

I don't do bikes but I loved the specifications on abrasion resistance although I probably only need to worry about falling over on the sidewalk. I am amazed at how much detail everyone gets into. I think I am becoming obsessive. I have measured myself probably 10 times since I sent off the payment to Thurston in order to try and figure out if I have the right size coming. I pretty much put my faith in Carrie's hands on most of the details, and got a stock jacket. Sorry to go on, I have never even been on a forum before. Thanks again everyone for all the information.

I'm right in the same boat as you! Except you have actually made a decision and taken a distinct step forward, whereas I'm still in the "planning" phase, LOL. (As a mini-update, I'm still waiting for a sample of Diamond Dave's Horween Chormexcel horsehide to see how I like that.)

Regarding your questions:

My guess is that the black soft steerhide only comes in black, but I'm not positive. I do not know that the soft black Italian horsehide only comes in black.

The blackened-brown Vicenza is quite a new offering, and from my understanding, it is essentially dark seal "on the inside" and black on top. Carrie posted some great comparison pics between blackened-brown and regular black in another thread, and to my eyes, they look almost identical. Where it starts to make a difference is when, over time, the black topcoat of the high-stress areas of the jacket begins to wear out, exposing the dark seal underneath. Should make for a cool effect. I was also specifically interested in a color that's kind of between black and brown. But I think blackened-brown will pretty much look just like black, at least in the beginning.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars

Yep then you realize there are other makers like Lost Worlds, Schott, Lewis, and more....
Abrasion resistance is always useful although mid weight hides are more than good enough for casual wear.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
My first leather jacket is an Dark Seal Vicenza HBD stock jacket.

OK, here it is. Remember now, I had never even laid eyes on a high-end custom jacket before, not to mention try one on. I measured incorrectly, using a piece of string and a carpenter’s tape. The only thing I knew about any of this is what I read on this forum, and on Aero’s web page

I asked Carrie for a jacket loose enough to layer for when it gets really cold. I chose the HBD because it is a looser than the 1930s, or Premium styles. Put my trust in Carrie and here is what I got. I think she did pretty good. I like it.

These shots are of me only wearing a t-shirt underneath. I also tried it on with a t-shirt, dress shirt, and thick synthetic fleece vest underneath, and still felt pretty comfortable and ready for a cold snowy winter,

Now tell me what you really think, (as if you wouldn’t). Do I need to send this in as a fit jacket and start the whole obsessive compulsive process of ordering a custom jacket or is this gonna be ok for my first try. Because not that I have the illness, of course I am going to have to buy more jacets.

Thanks,

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
My first leather jacket is an HBD Dark Brown Vicenza, stock jacket right off the rack at Thurston.

OK, here it is. Remember now, I had never even laid eyes on a high-end custom jacket before, not to mention try one on. I measured incorrectly, using a piece of string and a carpenter’s tape. The only thing I knew about any of this is what I read on this forum, and on Aero’s web page

I asked Carrie for a jacket loose enough to layer for when it gets really cold. I chose the HBD because it is much looser than the 1930s, or Premium styles. Put my trust in Carrie and here is what I got.

IMG_2892.jpeg

IMG_2893.jpeg

IMG_2902.jpeg

These shots are of me only wearing a t-shirt underneath. I also tried it on with a t-shirt, dress shirt, and a thick synthetic fleece vest underneath, and felt pretty snug but comfortable, could easily move my arms and torso around, twisting and bending. Ready for a cold snowy winter up in the Sangre de Cristo mountains.

Now tell me what you really think, (as if you wouldn’t). Do I need to send this in as a fit jacket and start the whole obsessive compulsive process of ordering a custom jacket or is this gonna be ok for my first try. Because now that I have the illness, of course I am going to have to buy more jackets.

My thanks of out to Carrie and the folks at Thurston

Thanks,

BobJ

Practically Family
Brother, you nailed it!

That jacket looks like it was made for you! I've seen guys around here spend years flipping jackets and not get one that fits that perfectly or looks that good!

Sleeves, shoulders, length, width... you won the lotto!

Take that tag off! :D

Harris HTM

One Too Many
My first leather jacket is an HBD Dark Brown Vicenza, stock jacket right off the rack at Thurston.

I asked Carrie for a jacket loose enough to layer for when it gets really cold. I chose the HBD because it is much looser than the 1930s, or Premium styles. Put my trust in Carrie and here is what I got.

View attachment 81736

View attachment 81742

View attachment 81743

These shots are of me only wearing a t-shirt underneath. I also tried it on with a t-shirt, dress shirt, and a thick synthetic fleece vest underneath, and felt pretty snug but comfortable, could easily move my arms and torso around, twisting and bending. Ready for a cold snowy winter up in the Sangre de Cristo mountains.

Now tell me what you really think, (as if you wouldn’t). Do I need to send this in as a fit jacket and start the whole obsessive compulsive process of ordering a custom jacket or is this gonna be ok for my first try. Because now that I have the illness, of course I am going to have to buy more jackets.

My thanks of out to Carrie and the folks at Thurston

Thanks,
Keep it! If only we got that lucky... the fit is perfect.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket you got there. I would call that a keeper. I was not so brave and asked for a fit jacket first from Carrie just so I know I wouldn't muck it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran