Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer Back Panel

RedWolf

New in Town
I've started the custom process of an Aero board racer. I had initially chosen a cafe racer but after some consideration and input from Thurston I am going with a board racer fit jacket.

I am looking for input on the back of the jacket. I have always liked the cafe racer solid back with lower panel. I have seen the board racers with the split panel back and either a lower panel or upper panel across the shoulders.

What is everyone's preference here and why. I do want my jacket with gussets since I ride.

jglf

A-List Customer
Go for the single back with double leather lined lower back panel with either shoulder or back gussets

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I am not a fan overall of the split-back design. If Carrie is suggesting a BR over a CR she likely has a very good reason. I would trust her instincts, she is really good with nailing the fit.

They (Thurston) offer the Aero Fontana as well, which has a nice western "V" near the top, and it looks sharp on the BR pattern. I agree with jglf that the inner & outer kidney panels help with protections & durability. For something like this, consider cotton drill for body lining, it's pretty durable, and perhaps even a corduroy strip around the bottom hem to further protect from damage.

RedWolf

New in Town
I am not a fan overall of the split-back design. If Carrie is suggesting a BR over a CR she likely has a very good reason. I would trust her instincts, she is really good with nailing the fit.

They (Thurston) offer the Aero Fontana as well, which has a nice western "V" near the top, and it looks sharp on the BR pattern. I agree with jglf that the inner & outer kidney panels help with protections & durability. For something like this, consider cotton drill for body lining, it's pretty durable, and perhaps even a corduroy strip around the bottom hem to further protect from damage.

The split back is alright but I've always liked the solid back look.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 51

Edward

Bartender
I've started the custom process of an Aero board racer. I had initially chosen a cafe racer but after some consideration and input from Thurston I am going with a board racer fit jacket.

I am looking for input on the back of the jacket. I have always liked the cafe racer solid back with lower panel. I have seen the board racers with the split panel back and either a lower panel or upper panel across the shoulders.

What is everyone's preference here and why. I do want my jacket with gussets since I ride.

I like the back mid-seam on the Board Racer myself. It's a point of difference to the standard Cafe Racer model, which is a nice visual distinction. It also has a specific design purpose, as it allows the rear of the jacket to me more shaped to the body (as memory serves, the sleeves are also curved on this one to the same effect). Aero will do it with a single piece back, though they are clear on the website description that this does mean it cannot be made to fit quite as snugly at the back, so that's the trade off. I like it myself and of the two, purely on a visual basis (I've not tried either on; it's a design I moved away from for years, but am coming back round to now), the BR has more appeal as standard to me. I understand though why a lot of folks still want to stick with a single piece back, as there's still the old notion kicking around that associates multiple pieces with poor quality. It's not directly linked, but of course it is common for many low end jacket to be cut with more pieces because it requires smaller individual panels, and therefore wastes less which cuts cost. For that reason it has gained something of a negative perception, but it's not really a negative in and of itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy