Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer Comparison Size 40 v 42

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I like them both and would keep them both. In my opinion it is not worth losing about a grand turning it over and getting a 42.
If you stay in good shape you will wear them both. If not some of us will gain weight others will lose weight so you are prepared for both ;)

If you wear the jackets unzipped most of the time you shouldn't feel much of a difference. As others mention before the most important fact is how you feel yourself in the jackets. Some days you like a more comfort fit, other days you may want to wear a tighter jacket for the "badass feel.

Great jackets and fits! I hope mine still fit me that well in 20 years...

barnabus

One Too Many
I definitely prefer a slim, snug-fitting jacket for myself. And when I'm trying something on I always have the mantra about buying the smallest size you can do up running around in my head.

BUT.

The 42 looks better. The 40 fits of course, definitely, but the 42 fits better.

I think I've been fooling myself for a few years that the smallest possible fitting jacket is the best, but now I'm spreading a little round the middle (I'm 47) I've started to see the merits in a neat fit that's also actually comfortable.

So the bottom line is: whatever you feel most in, whatever you don't feel self-conscious in, whatever doesn't make you subconsciously mutter about the cuff hitting just a bit higher or lower on your wrist.

Never mind whether it's appropriate for your age. Go with what's appropriate for you to feel good.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I have a sz 42 board racer and two sz 42 premier half belts. The hb's are a little roomier than the br even though the measurements are roughly the same

Too tight is such a funny thing and a fine line at that. This Kehoe that I loved and will likely never get another crack at was just that. For me, if you can't zip it, then it's too tight. Everything else is fair game.
IMG_0128.JPG

Yeah, but that one can barely contain the guns! Not really the same thing...
LOL...I could live with that...but I hated the fact that I couldn't zip it. Not surprisingly my wife liked this one the best b/c it was super thin and didn't make me look like a cop.

willyto

One Too Many
I don't see anything wrong with the Size 40. In fact I like the lenght and the zipper opening better.

Keep them both. I suppose you can layer just a thin sweater on the 42 and then you have the 40 for only a shirt or T-shirt.

A cafe racer is supposed to look trim and since you can zipper it fine and you aren't complaining about the fit being uncomfortable then it means it isn't.

I think that when one tries to go the cafe racer way and get a looser fit it doesn't look as good as it could. It doesn't matter what age is the man wearing it.

I don't see anything wrong with the Size 40. In fact I like the lenght and the zipper opening better.

Keep them both. I suppose you can layer just a thin sweater on the 42 and then you have the 40 for only a shirt or T-shirt.

A cafe racer is supposed to look trim and since you can zipper it fine and you aren't complaining about the fit being uncomfortable then it means it isn't.

I think that when one tries to go the cafe racer way and get a looser fit it doesn't look as good as it could. It doesn't matter what age is the man wearing it.
This sums it up about perfectly. I'd keep both PN. Unless you want something totally different. Both of those are top o' the line fits and different enough to justify keeping both. But don't ask me. I'm falling down a lancer front, half-belt rabbit hole:oops:

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
Fit comparison photo below show the Navy 42 v my Steer 40.

Measurements
Size 40
Pit to Pit: 21
Shoulder: 17.75
Waist: 19
Length: 25

Size 42
Pit to Pit: 22.25
Shoulder: 18
Waist: 20
Length: 25.75

Not a huge difference in the numbers but they do feel very different when worn, probably a combination of the size and the thicker steerhide on the smaller size jacket.

The 2 different types of leather will make a huge difference in fit (as you know). No need to scrutinize, each jacket fits great and has it's own look. Like others have said, don't impose age restrictions/expectations on yourself, you're fit and look a few years younger than you are, enjoy it!

One thing that's curious is Aero's size/measurement variations. My Vicenza BR (received in October) measures as follows:
Size 38
Pit to Pit: 21.5 - 22 (fully stretched)

Thanks for posting your numbers. They have helped me settle a personal concern - I now see that mine, in fact, fits like a hybrid between a 40 & 42 (which is a huge blessing as I bulk up a little in winter and I definitely needed the room).

Cheers!

Last edited:

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
I'de go with the 42, but the 40 is obviously broken in and really cool. The color of the 42 is awesome. I wouldn't give it a second thought, and keep both. If you have need in the future for a new jacket, evaluate fit then. I don't think age matters, and you wear both well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just received a Navy Vicenza Board Racer that I picked up off Nick123. Honestly, if he told me he never wore it I would have believed it...it hasn't even started to crease in the sleeves!

This won't be a review of the amazing Navy Vicenza leather, I'll do that a bit later as I'm sure there are others interested in the colour etc.

So this new jacket is a size 42 and I'm concerned that it may spell the doom for a few of my other jackets, fit wise in particular my Premier Half Belt. Can anyone confirm they have the same measurements as a Board Racer?

Fit comparison photo below show the Navy 42 v my Steer 40.

View attachment 67171 View attachment 67172

Measurements
Size 40
Pit to Pit: 21
Shoulder: 17.75
Length: 25

Size 42
Pit to Pit: 22.25
Waist: 20
Length: 25.75

Not a huge difference in the numbers but they do feel very different when worn, probably a combination of the size and the thicker steerhide on the smaller size jacket.

Now I realise they both "fit" perfectly fine but the obsessive compulsive in me is having a field day thinking maybe the 40 looks just that touch too small/tight for a guy approaching his mid 40's and I'd be better replacing it with a 42.

More than happy to hear any opinions, i.e.: if this were you, would you keep them both and be happy or would you drop the cash you will inevitably lose on the switch out knowing it will gnaw away at you relentlessly lol

The 42 looks better. Scratch that itch!

dan_t

Practically Family
In Sydney, how often do you really zip it up?
A grand down the tube is a fair bit to loose. I say hang on to them both, or put it out there for an interesting trade item. A jacket style that you don't yet have covered.
Trading doesn't have to mean any realised loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points