Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer - fit advice needed!

BassandB3

One of the Regulars
Hi—I’m ordering a custom Board Racer from Aero through Thurston Bros. Working with Carrie. I’m 5’11”, 175 lbs and approaching 50 years old. Want this jacket to be comfortable and functional for everyday wear; I live in Northern California and don’t ride (yet...).

This fit jacket is a 42. For some reason, it looks really different based on the angle of the photos. The chest and shoulders feel pretty tight with anything more than a T-shirt. Thinking of going with Bainbridge abyss blue in a hybrid 44 on top/tapering down to 42, Add 0.5” Body length, shoulder gussets, kidney panel, cotton sateen, moving sleeve zips to back (no straps), with straight pockets (no stars), nickel hardware with main zip brought closer to end of hem.

For comparison, I have a 38 Aero Highwayman (wish it we’re a bit longer in sleeves and body), a 42 Aero Ridley (Fits great), and a 40 Aero Teamster (slightly roomy but good for winter/layering). Appreciate any and all advice!

Attachments

• 9A9E12F1-2570-48FB-A941-748217ABC577.jpeg
    9A9E12F1-2570-48FB-A941-748217ABC577.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • 1DDD2B87-E495-4CC9-8F6C-AEC23ABD94E5.jpeg
    1DDD2B87-E495-4CC9-8F6C-AEC23ABD94E5.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,144
  • 7FBEB91A-3756-41FA-87E7-A1380657A152.jpeg
    7FBEB91A-3756-41FA-87E7-A1380657A152.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 79752D7E-BA64-4AC7-AE23-6933C976C340.jpeg
    79752D7E-BA64-4AC7-AE23-6933C976C340.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 4AE31F91-5B5E-4A6A-ACFC-8EE1619A9BE9.jpeg
    4AE31F91-5B5E-4A6A-ACFC-8EE1619A9BE9.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 995
  • EEC10CAB-1A4B-45DC-A6EC-DBB0B2FC6FD3.jpeg
    EEC10CAB-1A4B-45DC-A6EC-DBB0B2FC6FD3.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 971
  • A858A353-530C-4D61-8EB5-DA9C7F4E9552.jpeg
    A858A353-530C-4D61-8EB5-DA9C7F4E9552.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 980
Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
one thing about that jacket is it will feel tight in the upper chest and shoulders when you have your arms straight down, due to the curvature of the sleeves. They create a pull in the shoulders/upper chest if your arms are straight down. The sleeves are curved into a position that's supposed to comfortable for riding. If you put your arms up as if you're holding handlebars you'll feel that it then feels natural, and the tightness in those spots goes away. That's just the nature of this design. It will break in and feel more comfortable over time, but that tightness in those areas if your arms are down at your sides never really completely goes away. You could size up, but that's not ideal either. The fit in the photos looks perfect

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can you breathe in deeply with ease when zipped up? If not get a bigger one.

Size looks ok. You easily can overthink this stuff into the land of nutty compulsion. Some might say it is long in the body and short in the sleeves. Others like it that way. But really, I'd be happy with that as long as you can breathe. It will loosen up. But I would want to be able to wear a thin sweater underneath it without issue. I do not own any jackets that can only be worn over a t-shirt. That's not an aesthetic I value.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Looks pretty close to perfect! I’d be worried about it being too baggy if you size up, but that’s my personal preference. You could maybe add a half inch to the arms, but again, totally just what you prefer.

I feel like the benefit of getting a custom jacket is getting one that’s trim and looks tailor made just for you... A baggy jacket screams “off the rack.”

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
don't get a bigger size than that, sure a proper moto jacket would feel tight on the chest when zipped up, sleeve is is slightly in front, probably slightly more rotated to the front too, but all those will make it look great when worn half zipped since the top part would pull more to the side and created V opening past your zipper with your arms down on the side.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That jacket is friggin perfect. Front, back, and side. If it does not restrict your movements, I say go with it.

Psant25

One Too Many
If it feels tight I think you have your answer. My best looking jackets in pictures were just to too small for everyday use. The board racer has a very narrow shoulder width. Why not get a cafe racer model that has a wider shoulder and spec it like a board racer with same pocket confirmation and zip placement

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
If it feels tight I think you have your answer. My best looking jackets in pictures were just to too small for everyday use. The board racer has a very narrow shoulder width. Why not get a cafe racer model that has a wider shoulder and spec it like a board racer with same pocket confirmation and zip placement
I’ve owned both. I vote for a cafe racer with the board racer collar. A little body width added at the waist makes it a less tapered, but a more comfortable jacket to move in. I found the bit of outward flare at the bottom hem that the board racer has was something I didn’t like. Tobacco baladassi would look great!

BassandB3

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much everybody, appreciate the comments! Keep ‘em coming as I’m nervous about screwing up the order.

Also—anybody have experience with Bainbridge leather? I want a deep dark blue color jacket. The Vicenza Navy is pretty but doesn’t have the depth of color that I really want, so exploring the abyss blue in Bainbridge, which is pretty dark in photos and the swatch I received.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

I second that idea. Go for a Cafe Racer and spec it with BR attributes.

I had a Board Racer that was a pretty good fit and a great look, but always felt too tight. In the end I exchanged it for a Cafe Racer (even sized down) and was much happier.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

Size looks ok. You easily can overthink this stuff into the land of nutty compulsion. Some might say it is long in the body and short in the sleeves. Others like it that way. But really, I'd be happy with that as long as you can breathe. It will loosen up. But I would want to be able to wear a thin sweater underneath it without issue. I do not own any jackets that can only be worn over a t-shirt. That's not an aesthetic I value.

This. It looks good to me. If it's tough to breathe in or move around much when zipped, then it's too small. Otherwise, you're good.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Photos are often a poor indication of fit. I really liked this one. An Iron Heart cafe racer in French goat. Bloody lovely jacket. I was unabel to breathe in it. It had to go. Damn.

Ironheart.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

This is an important consideration. Size your jacket to fit how you want to wear it - don't dress to fit the jacket. I have a number of leasther jackets that I have bought knowing I'll never fit a hefty sweater under, but if I can maange a shirt, tie and a waistcoat comfortably, I'm good with that. Others, of a more 'overcoat' style, I want to fit all my layers under. No point ending up with a jacket that's too warn for "t-shirt weather", and not warm enough if you need more than one, thin layer between the jacket and your skin.

THat said, for me these days a t-shirt is essentially underwear, so I'd always want at least a shirt to fit under the jacket...

BassandB3

One of the Regulars
764B8410-9AC3-4292-95E6-008B13F33670.jpeg
FC5B8B51-3784-47B5-99A3-A7827216C65F.jpeg
Thanks—I can definitely breathe in it! Actually the more I try on the fit jacket, the better it seems to feel and I was able to put on a shirt and thin sweater—felt very tight but I could do it.

See new photos with shirt and thin sweater—the jacket looks tighter in the non selfie photo but better in the selfie, probably because of the mirror and angle?

Also, the fit jacket is badalassi leather, Carrie says the Bainbridge will definitely relax over time. I’m at my lowest weight in several years and concerned that I may not be able to hold it once restaurants are open again... also keep in mind I’m approaching 50 and am no waif haha.

Last edited:

BassandB3

One of the Regulars
Maybe bc it’s tightest around my chest and shoulders? Do you think a 44 on top tapering to 42 below (Carrie said they can do this) would fix it? What about shoulder gussets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points