Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer Leather help

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That’s a beautiful jacket and great fit. What is your chest measured size vs. jacket chest size?
P2P is 60 cm/23.6" and relaxed I have a chest circumference of approx. 111 cm.
Shoulder is 49.5 cm/19.5"
The jacket is tight, but not so tight that I can't wear anything underneath.

Cortexas

New in Town
Thanks for the pics! Badalassi is a beautiful leather. I think I read in another thread that you had put Gussetts on a board racer. It add much range of motion? Did it add some bulk to the upper back in a good way I want my racer to fit a bit more like a jacket than a shirt and I’m wondering if the gussets might help make that a reality.

MrProper

That was my Sheene (Café Racer) with the shoulder gussets.
They will do a bit, but at least with the ones I've had so far, less than expected. If you really want freedom of movement, I think footballs (the gussets on the armpits) or action back are better. But I don't like action back. The shoulder gussets are now also my second choice because I think they make the back look too bulky. With a strong drop p2p to hem, I think it sometimes looks a bit disproportionate.
Pics
5F576B42-63AF-4E90-9413-B94070B31386.jpeg
03E3CAB9-FEF8-4B0C-B6B8-6DD499D44764.jpeg

Cortexas

New in Town
That was my Sheene (Café Racer) with the shoulder gussets.
They will do a bit, but at least with the ones I've had so far, less than expected. If you really want freedom of movement, I think footballs (the gussets on the armpits) or action back are better. But I don't like action back. The shoulder gussets are now also my second choice because I think they make the back look too bulky. With a strong drop p2p to hem, I think it sometimes looks a bit disproportionate.
Pics
View attachment 609087
View attachment 609088
Do you know if Aero can do football gussets on a board racer?

Aloysius

They will only do it on designs that historically came with them, like the US Navy jackets or the Irvin.

@MrProper I quite like the look of shoulder gussets but my experience has been that they feel very different with different makers' patterns. Schott's feels almost like a full action back; Vanson's was close.

MrProper

I can hardly imagine it, but it costs nothing to ask. With a café racer there is the option of shoulder gussets or no shoulder gussets. I have not yet seen this on a boardracer.
Footballs will change the pattern of the sleeve and that makes me wonder why they would get involved. The feature probably won't be asked that often. Whether it looks good on a boardracer remains to be seen.
I have the footballs on my Irvin and I think they're great.
Just ask.

Aloysius

I can hardly imagine it, but it costs nothing to ask. With a café racer there is the option of shoulder gussets or no shoulder gussets. I have not yet seen this on a boardracer.
Footballs will change the pattern of the sleeve and that makes me wonder why they would get involved. The feature probably won't be asked that often. Whether it looks good on a boardracer remains to be seen.
I have the footballs on my Irvin and I think they're great.
Just ask.

Aero posted on here before when someone was advising to request underarm footballs on a jacket to say they only do it on those military designs that already had it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Board Racer Seven with shoulder pleats,
Image19.jpg

Boardracer with center pleat,
BR center pleat.jpg

My Boardracer Seven has stock back design, I wished I had gone one size bigger and with the center pleats.
IMG_3074.jpg

I've got Aeros with full action back, shoulder gussets and center pleats. I find that full action back works about the same as the center pleat in terms of range of motion. The shoulder gussets are the least effective imo, but I am biased against them.

The sleeve has a lot to do with range of motion too. And the BR has very slim upper sleeves. The CR has bigger upper sleeves and more shoulder room, but smaller collar than the BR... I still favor CR over BR though, mainly because it has bigger upper sleeves for easier movements. My CR with a full action back instead of the shoulder gussets,
IMG_4168.jpg

Cortexas

New in Town
View attachment 609189

View attachment 609190

My Boardracer Seven has stock back design, I wished I had gone one size bigger and with the center pleats.
View attachment 609192

I've got Aeros with full action back, shoulder gussets and center pleats. I find that full action back works about the same as the center pleat in terms of range of motion. The shoulder gussets are the least effective imo, but I am biased against them.

The sleeve has a lot to do with range of motion too. And the BR has very slim upper sleeves. The CR has bigger upper sleeves and more shoulder room, but smaller collar than the BR... I still favor CR over BR though, mainly because it has bigger upper sleeves for easier movements. My CR with a full action back instead of the shoulder gussets,
View attachment 609193

This is great info! It seems the full action back would be hard with the board racer pattern unless it’s heavily modified. I’ll ask Carrie and see what she says. If shoulder gussets are the only realistic option without heavy mods, do you think it is worth it or no?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you are going through TB, they had a vintage Bates before, which is very very similar to the BR, but with a special type of under shoulder yoke gusset. This would be the perfect world scenario, if TB can get Aero to make this Bates design BR reproduction.

bates board racer.jpg

Board Racer Back.jpg

IMG_4363.JPG

This type of shoulder gusset not only good for range of motion but also gives the wearer very athletic shape, while not actually super tapered in dimensions, just looks like it. This would be a perfect world scenario imo. I would totally upgrade my BR to it if someone did the trial pattern run first, haha.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would highly advise going through Thurston Brothers if you are based in North America.
The fit-jacket process is well worth it to get the fit correct.

The Board Racer is a very slim-fit jacket. On a BR, I would take a "46" or even a "48". Whereas a 4-pocket Cafe Racer I fit very well in a 42, or a "44" if I wanted room for a sweatshirt. I am 6' 1" tall and 195 lbs. I owned a Size 42 Horween CX Steerhide 4-pocket CR from 2014 - 2019 and it was my favorite Aero jacket, also my first one to buy it new while Thurston Brothers still had their physical store location.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 609189

View attachment 609190

View attachment 609192

View attachment 609193
Or you could just order a brand-new Bates Competition CR - although it's a 6-12 month wait for it

https://batesleathers.com/competition

zebedee

One Too Many
I'd definitely second not going with FQHH for something like a Board Racer or Café Racer. I have a CR in heavy steer hide, another in battered seal and one in Vicenza - the latter two are by far more comfortable, flexible and practical. The tan steer hide CR is a nice jacket, but it's not very 'wearable' in the ways that my fqhh Highwayman is or any of the other looser patterns I have in fqhh are. Vicenza or goat would be my choices.

Al 916

One Too Many
Are these both CRs? I seem to recall reading the CR is better suited for those with wider shoulders. I assumed board racer would be a better fit for my physique. I’m 6’0 180lbs athletic build. My shoulders aren’t overly wide. Is the CR really better suited for wider shoulders or does it just wear more like a jacket and the BR more like a shirt regardless of shoulder to waist ratio?

Yep both CR and 20" shoulders

Cortexas

New in Town
I'd definitely second not going with FQHH for something like a Board Racer or Café Racer. I have a CR in heavy steer hide, another in battered seal and one in Vicenza - the latter two are by far more comfortable, flexible and practical. The tan steer hide CR is a nice jacket, but it's not very 'wearable' in the ways that my fqhh Highwayman is or any of the other looser patterns I have in fqhh are. Vicenza or goat would be my choices.
Yes I ordered mine in black Vicenza. I know some guys do BRs in FQHH but I could not imagine how uncomfortable that would be at least for the first 3 years.

Zetachaox

New in Town
Have you considered ordering some leather samples? Getting a feel for the different types of leather offered might help. If you want something that doesn't need break in.. maybe their soft grainy steerhide? I quite like the sample I got of it but I don't know if there are things that are only noticeable on a full jacket.

Cortexas

New in Town
Have you considered ordering some leather samples? Getting a feel for the different types of leather offered might help. If you want something that doesn't need break in.. maybe their soft grainy steerhide? I quite like the sample I got of it but I don't know if there are things that are only noticeable on a full jacket.
Yes I did get samples. I liked the Vicenza and Badalassi best. I didn’t learn about the soft grainy steerhide until after I got my samples. Im gonna definitely consider it for my next jacket. My fit jacket came in Vicenza and I felt it had plenty of weight to it. Obviously the CXL stuff is heavier but Vicenza definitely felt substantial enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner