Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero BOB jacket question

BRJACKET

New in Town
Hello everyone. I haven't posted lately but have been reading the posts. I have a question about the Aero BOB jacket. I ordered mine back in March. It came about 8 months later (last month). That worked because here in North Carolina it is just now starting to get cold. My question is about breaking in the jacket. The shoulders are just right, the sleeve length and the overall length work perfectly. My concern is the snug fit. I typically wear a sweater under a jacket or coat because when I am inside I feel more comfotable with a sweater (in cold weater).

With this jacket it is hard to wear a sweater both in the midsection and especially in the sleeves. The sleeves are very tight. I feel somewhat like the kid in the Christmas Story movie who is so bundled up he can't put his arms down. The jacket works well without a sweater and I wouldn't want any more bulk in the back and shoulders. So the question is; how much does the pile lay down as the jacket is worn and does it give any with wear? What can I expect (expecially in the sleeve tightness)?

Thanks and happy holidays to all!
Bill

You can do this for sleeves - I just did on my new Aero HBD. Wet the sleeves with hot water. Get them soaked on the outside and take beverage bottles - obviously they have to be larger diameter than the sleeves - and push them into the sleeves to stretch them. Leave overnight until they dry out.
You should do it in increments as not to overdo it. The tough part may be finding the right bottles, but with all the shapes and sizes out there now, it's not hard, plus you get some beverages to drink while you wait for the drying lol
Good luck.

John Lever

One Too Many
Bill,
The pattern for the Aero RAF has very tight sleeves particularly the forearm area. I have tried so far without success to get Will to change this. Aero make great jackets with skill and use beautiful materials, but Eastman still make the best repro RAF jacket because of their better arm shape. Aero's are too tubular like stove pipes.
I have had two custom jackets but sold both because of the tight arms.
I particularly like the sheepskin they use and the shape of the collar, they will even make late war versions, but sadly the arms spoil the jacket.

Last edited:

BRJACKET

New in Town
Thanks for the input. I meant to add in my post that this jacket has by far the best quality of construction of any jacket I have ever owned. The sheepskin is excellent and plush. It looks and even smells great. It is bulkier than I was expecting but I should have known by looking at the posted pictures.

I will look into the bottle approach for the sleeves. If anyone has additional ideas please post. I look forward to hearing them.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Wet the inside of the sleeve with a spray bottle and warm water...then wear it indoors until it's dry. That helps to settle the fleece where the sleeve is little tight. It works and does no harm to the jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Bill,
The pattern for the Aero RAF has very tight sleeves particularly the forearm area. I have tried so far without success to get Will to change this. Aero make great jackets with skill and use beautiful materials, but Eastman still make the best repro RAF jacket because of their better arm shape. Aero's are too tubular like stove pipes.
I have had two custom jackets but sold both because of the tight arms.
I particularly like the sheepskin they use and the shape of the collar, they will even make late war versions, but sadly the arms spoil the jacket.

Shame to hear that, John.... I've long been hoping Aero would sort out their sleeves, as otherwise their Irvins look great, and I've long had my eye on a prewar pattern.

John Lever

One Too Many
I hope they will sort it out eventually. I did send them a template for the arm shape of my custom jacket, but it came back with stovepipe arms so I sold it.

Edward

Bartender
Mmn. I seriously looked at the CC Irvin they did as a custom order - the Lounger who bought it sold it on eBay a while back - but I dropped out of the bidding early on over that.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
On the phone to Will recently, I mentioned this jacket and he couldn't remember making one ...

It was a while back, but not THAT long! Pretty sure I received it in the summer of 2010. They did a prewar and added a hood, nothing all that far out of the ordinary.

Best,
Trog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner