Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bootlegger, Hooch Hauler, HWM chest fit question

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway!

I have a size 40 HWM that fits me well; it has a 22" chest. I also have a size 40 Bootlegger that I love, even though the fit is a bit odd; it's too large in the chest at 23 3/4 (and narrows down to a snug fitting 19" hem.) I like this BL and don't care too much about getting a perfect fit in the chest--it IS a Bootlegger after all, and I doubt the original bootleggers cared much about their jackets being just so!

Question.... I'm eyeing a Hooch Hauler with a 23.5" chest. Now, this is 1 1/2" larger than the HWM that fits well and closer to the BL that's too large... But the HH DOES have higher armholes and slimmer sleeves than the BL.

However, I'm sure that that extra 1 1/2" in the chest makes it too big, the armholes notwithstanding.

It's too big, isn't it?

Darn it.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Probably "yes" but I would ask - how many of these three have the action back design?

If none do, all the same Plain back style, it may be a good bet.

But yeah, if your 22" Pit to Pit HWM is the best fit, I would keep looking regarding the HH.

Psant25

One Too Many
That size seems odd. Stock size 38 highwayman has a 23.5 pit to pit. Some came closer to 23 but that is within aeros tolerances. Size 40 would be huge on me. I wear a 38 (custom ordered 5 over the years) highwayman and would normally wear a “42” suit coat

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yes, the hooch hauler is too big. I think you can get away with extra room in the BL because it is a roomier jacket by design, but the HH would just look odd with the slim sleeves and the too large tunnel body.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
That size seems odd. Stock size 38 highwayman has a 23.5 pit to pit. Some came closer to 23 but that is within aeros tolerances. Size 40 would be huge on me. I wear a 38 (custom ordered 5 over the years) highwayman and would normally wear a “42” suit coat
Yes, I was surprised when I measured the HWM--I thought it ws bigger.

I know I got accurate measurements from the ebay seller when I bought it, and it always fit well, but during the intervening period just remembered it was "smaller than normal" and for some reason convinced myself it was a 23.5 chest on the basis of stock sizes. I also have a shearing lined 38 HWM which fits similarly on me, which makes more sense given HWM sizing.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Yes, the hooch hauler is too big. I think you can get away with extra room in the BL because it is a roomier jacket by design, but the HH would just look odd with the slim sleeves and the too large tunnel body.

Yeah, that's a very good point--thank you! The BL looks like it's supposed to be roomy on me, but a HH would make me look like a child's drawing--large body and single-line arms! And I'm so weird-looking anyway I don't need the help!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also have a size 40 Bootlegger that I love, even though the fit is a bit odd; it's too large in the chest at 23 3/4 (and narrows down to a snug fitting 19" hem.)

This seems like a pretty normal V-shaped jacket measurement. What makes you think it’s too large?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ