Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bootlegger

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So far, I've owned three Aero Bootlegger jackets at various points.

My first one was a very heavy black CXL, I forget whether steer or FQHH, but it was massively heavy stuff, 4-5oz, from the era when heavy meant HEAVY. It was a size 36, and I sold it because the previous owner had modified the sleeves slightly to taper the cuffs, and I thought I'd rather get a jacket that wasn't tailored aftermarket, but whoever did that work to it did a great job of it. Being a tagged 36, it was a surprise that it even fit me but you go by the measurements, and they were reasonable. I mean the jacket fit me, and not badly. I probably still have pictures of it somewhere. Maybe even on the forum here.

My second Bootlegger was a size 44, fit a bit looser, of course, but the measurements weren't far off from the 36. It was made from a brown leather that I never properly identified, but might have been the stuff they called "oil pull horsehide" -- which I don't think they offer any longer, but if that's not what it was, I don't know what it could have been. I wore it for a winter, and I liked it, but I convinced myself that I didn't need it, so I sold it on to fund something else I wanted.

I didn't have any Bootlegger for a good three years at least, if not more, and then I saw the one that @jacketjunkie had up for sale on the classifieds. It was a 38, and the measurements seemed like they'd be tight, but I thought I could rock it.

He'd listed it back on my birthday in 2021, and yet somehow I overlooked this sleeper until October of this year. I messaged him on 10/5, and he had it in the mail to me by 10/7. It then disappeared from the shipping tracking, no updates at all for almost two weeks, causing me some anxiety, but then emerged from shipping limbo in the US, and from there proceeded through customs rather quickly and then made its way to me. Delivery occurred very late in the day, almost 9pm, which again gave me another bout of anxiety, as I'd already received mail earlier in the day, including several other packages that I had been expecting. But then finally it arrived.

I got it out of the box, and tried it on, and found that this one does indeed fit on the snug side, but the measurements work for me just about as well as I could hope for. I guess a standard 38 is like a STF 44.

I'll have to look for images of the old ones and take some fit pics of the new one tomorrow.

Of these three, I definitely like this one the best. The mouton collar looks great and compliments the brown leather beautifully. I love the zippered sleeve cuffs, the moleskin lining is awesome, warm, comfortable, and durable, and the two inside pockets. I even like the nickel zipper, even though I'm normally a brass guy.

I don't wear a Bootlegger as well as @ton312 does, but I think I'll be keeping this one longer. It's good to have one back in the closet again. Especially with jacket season upon us. It won't spend a lot of time in the closet, that's for sure.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The mouton collar elevates the whole jacket a few levels up imo. Aero's brown moleskin lining fabric has the most density around. Great pick up.

Do the sleeves on the Bootlegger taper? Or is it more like regular Highwayman?

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
The mouton collar elevates the whole jacket a few levels up imo. Aero's brown moleskin lining fabric has the most density around. Great pick up.

This jacket was so perfect in specification I had my finger on the trigger several times a day, only coming to the conclusion that I have too many jackets already.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

I'm not sure, to be honest. The new Bootlegger has zip cuffed sleeves, which is not the standard way Aero does the jacket. With zip cuffed sleeves, I would say that the sleeve does have more of a taper than probably the standard, but how the standard compares with the Highwayman sleeve, I'm not sure. I do have a couple of HIghwayman jackets in the collection that I could compare with, but I wouldn't necessarily know that they're "standard" or if Aero has changed the way they do them since making them, either. All that said, I would guess that probably the two have a similar-enough sleeve that I haven't noticed a huge, or obvious, difference between the two.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure, to be honest. The new Bootlegger has zip cuffed sleeves, which is not the standard way Aero does the jacket. With zip cuffed sleeves, I would say that the sleeve does have more of a taper than probably the standard, but how the standard compares with the Highwayman sleeve, I'm not sure. I do have a couple of HIghwayman jackets in the collection that I could compare with, but I wouldn't necessarily know that they're "standard" or if Aero has changed the way they do them since making them, either. All that said, I would guess that probably the two have a similar-enough sleeve that I haven't noticed a huge, or obvious, difference between the two.
Yeah that's what I suspected. Zipped sleeves is the way to spec them with. I have the regular highwayman and always found the cuff of the sleeve a bit loose, especially without storm cuff. But my moonshiner has the button cuff which provides nice taper sleeve but hard to get on and off, especially with watch wearing. zipped sleeve is the way to spec these.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I ordered the jacket with zip sleeves because I wanted to avoid tunnel sleeves with too wide cuffs and it turned out well imho.

Guppy was very pleasant to deal with, despite the shipments temporary disappearance, glad he likes the jacket. I sure did. Unfortunately life is too short and space too limited to store jackets for „it might fit again in 10 years if I regain another 10 lbs“ reasons, so it had to go.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Apologies for lack of fit pics... I had a computer problem and am currently working on getting files off the old machine. So the older Bootlegger pics are there, and working on the old computer is tying me up from taking pics of the new one. Maybe this weekend.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Bootleggers, what a tease! :) They might be as difficult to fit as a Highwayman, or maybe not. If you keep in mind the fit of a 50's Half-Belt, you'll be pretty close, much of the time at least.

Glad you found one you like Guppy. I have owned just two of these, but one of them I actually owned twice...yes, that Fedora Lounge effect is real, at least at times. It was like your black one - massively heavy. Sadly, too short of sleeves killed the deal for me, both times. You can have a look at it here:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-oddly-heavy-cordovan-bootlegger-size-44.103053/

Where did that jacket wind up anyway? It went on ebay out West, but that's about all I know.

It wasn't long after this sale that I slowed way down in the buying & selling trade...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points