Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cafe Racer - Opinions!

jps79

New in Town
I really like the slim fit of a Cafe Racer. But this jacket needs to sit perfectly to look good. And you need the right proportions...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Probably considered heresy, but has anyone ever considered ordering an Aero Cafe Racer with a standard Highwayman collar rather than the "mandarin" collar typically found on the CR?

Probably considered heresy, but has anyone ever considered ordering an Aero Cafe Racer with a standard Highwayman collar rather than the "mandarin" collar typically found on the CR?
I've had collared riding jackets. But - if I did that, I'd make sure I got an A-2 style button down on the collar to keep from getting b****-slapped in the wind! lol

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I've had collared riding jackets. But - if I did that, I'd make sure I got an A-2 style button down on the collar to keep from getting b****-slapped in the wind! lol

Butte, I anticipate my ride to be a 150cc Honda scooter and will cruise no more than 50mph. When I showed my wife the specs of a Harley Sportster, she threatened to have me committed to a mental hospital. However, your comments regarding the collar performing a tap dance on one's cheeks is a valid point. The snapped collars on the A-2 do help prevent this, although I don't recall the collar on my G-1 presenting a problem in an open cockpit of a T-34 at 120 knots.

Well..I've stated my opinion about most leather collared jackets before..but some seem to disagree with me. I've put alot of miles on MCs since 1964..and had plenty of denim and fabric collars(without snaps) face slap me..but don't ever recall a leather jacket collar doing so. Most are just too heavy to flutter or slap. I suppose a flimsy Mall leather might. Can't imagine an Aero HH collar even coming close to fluttering in the wind. My Vanson Enfield...Harley 100th..Aero HBs & Hwymn haven't at 80mph on the interstate. I've never ridden with any of my Aero A2s...but they all have pretty thick stiff hvy collars that would take a hella wind to move. Again..just my opinion,though...
HD

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Well..I've stated my opinion about most leather collared jackets before..but some seem to disagree with me. I've put alot of miles on MCs since 1964..and had plenty of denim and fabric collars(without snaps) face slap me..but don't ever recall a leather jacket collar doing so. Most are just too heavy to flutter or slap. I suppose a flimsy Mall leather might. Can't imagine an Aero HH collar even coming close to fluttering in the wind. My Vanson Enfield...Harley 100th..Aero HBs & Hwymn haven't at 80mph on the interstate. I've never ridden with any of my Aero A2s...but they all have pretty thick stiff hvy collars that would take a hella wind to move. Again..just my opinion,though...
HD

Amen! My bikes dyno out at 185 and 193 HP at the rear wheel, a 2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 and 2010 BMW S1000RR respectively. In the winter, my riding jacket of choice is an Aero 1930s Slimfit Halfbelt. Never had the collar so much as even flap up a tiny bit, even on spirited rides, getting well over 100mph... Vanson and Aero collars are simply just NOT going to slap you in the face...

Well..I've stated my opinion about most leather collared jackets before..but some seem to disagree with me. I've put alot of miles on MCs since 1964..and had plenty of denim and fabric collars(without snaps) face slap me..but don't ever recall a leather jacket collar doing so. Most are just too heavy to flutter or slap. I suppose a flimsy Mall leather might. Can't imagine an Aero HH collar even coming close to fluttering in the wind. My Vanson Enfield...Harley 100th..Aero HBs & Hwymn haven't at 80mph on the interstate. I've never ridden with any of my Aero A2s...but they all have pretty thick stiff hvy collars that would take a hella wind to move. Again..just my opinion,though... HD
. Never ridden with my Aeros. I had a jacket in the early 90's that slapped me quite a bit as I had no windshield on my bikes then. It wasn't the top notch jackets I have today, so maybe it's not an issue there. But it happened going rather briskly in the CA desert at not so legal speeds. Guess I should take my HH skydiving to see how it does...

Graemsay

Practically Family
Fanch, for some reason women get concerned when their menfolk start looking at things like Harleys. But Sportster is something of a misnomer, as a true sportsbike (like Wade's brace) will produce something like twice the power. :eek:

As for collars, how about seeing if you could get the AN6522 / M422 style with a throat latch on a Cafe Racer?

Fanch, for some reason women get concerned when their menfolk start looking at things like Harleys. But Sportster is something of a misnomer, as a true sportsbike (like Wade's brace) will produce something like twice the power. :eek:

As for collars, how about seeing if you could get the AN6522 / M422 style with a throat latch on a Cafe Racer?

'For some reason'..?? Don't know if you've ever ridden a MC or not...but a Harley can get you just as dead as something with twice the power(even if only one of those misnomers). Inexperience..neglect or foolish habits on the highway doesn't require super bike performance by any means to produce serious trouble. Although..many new rocketeers consider themselves a 'Wade caliber' of rider right outa the box and may not even make it through a season. Anyone considering a street legal 2 wheeler better be concerned...and,of course,their family as well.
HD

Graemsay

Practically Family
Going horribly off topic for a few minutes...

Yes, I ride a bike. I've been on a Harley Sportster a couple of times, but don't generally get on with them as I'm on the tall side.

Here in the UK we've got a tiered licensing system. The basic level is the CBT (certificate of basic training), which is a day's training that allows a rider to go out on a scooter or motorcycle of up to 12 or 13 bhp and 125 cc for two years. In that time they either need to pass their test, or redo the CBT.

A rider under the age of 21 can take a restricted license that allows them to ride a bike of up to 33 bhp for two years, after which it's automatically upgraded to allow for any machine. If they're older then they can take what is known as Direct Access, allowing them to ride anything straight away, up to and including one of Wade's fire breathing monsters.

Most people seem to take their test at the end of a week's full time training course, unlike in the States where something like the MSF programme is recommended but generally not mandatory.

I've heard recommendations of the smaller Sportster (the 883) as a bike for a restricted license. It doesn't lose a huge amount of power if it's detuned to 33 bhp, so I'd argue that it's not something to cause sleepless nights. I suspect that Harleys are perceived as being somewhat more badass than they actually are.

In fact, I'd argue under the UK licensing scheme that a Harley rider is likely to be safer than a scooter rider. The amount of training an individual has is inversely correlated to the chances of having an accident. Plus motorcyclists tend to wear a lot more protective gear than their counterparts on scooters.

If you want to get all nerdy, and dig into accident stats, most fatalities happen when a rider enters a bend too hot and falls off the road. There's a good chance that he (or maybe she) will be wearing full racing leathers and riding a sports bike. Conversely, falling off in a pair of jeans, leather jacket and open face helmet, which is what a lot of riders wear, is going to hurt and probably result in avoidable injuries.

I have no desire to argue with you,Graemsay. Evidentally you've ridden for years and years as well..and have formed your opinions on motorcycles..safety..and gear down pat for your needs..or everyone else for that matter it would appear. We're both still here..and in one piece..so it seems something is being done well enough.
However..there are several 'camps' of what riders prefer to ride..and even how far they will go for protection and comfort. My riding pleasure is quite different than yours...but lets leave it at that..rather than arguing and getting all nerdy. A few minutes off topic can stretch to a few pages of disagreement.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Yeah, this could quickly degenerate into a Holy Flame War. And I can appreciate that Indiana will be warmer than the UK, so my set of leathers would be murder in the summer. :)

I think the tiered system is a great practice. I've ridden for 40 years and feel the kids on Hyabusa's are a blemish on motorcycling in general, as are the drunken ""club" affiliated iron riders. Motorcycling is dangerous. Period. You can only control you. Ride smart, get trained, and wear the gear. It's highly enjoyable, but not without risk. Chin-slapping collars be damned lolMy current dilemma is my son wants to ride. Not a shock, I rode him to school as a little guy and took weekend rides with him on the back. But now the parental hypocrisy gene is kicking in and I'm not so hot on him riding. I feel bad too because I know how fun it is. But can't ignore the others that make it deadly too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart