Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cheyenne issue – defect? expected?

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Well, here's my take on it...

I'd send it back. You custom ordered a jacket and it wasn't made exactly how you wanted it. There's also an obvious defect that bothers you. I can't see how else you'd be satisfied with the situation.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Turn Around Time?

I'm curious what the turn around time is on repairing/replacing your jacket? IF you waited four months initially then are you in for serving another quattro or do they expedite the whole thing since you've already got time served. . .?

So if it's gonna clog up the works and delay my pending jacket . . .then hang onto it like grim death . . . KIDDING! . . .. sort of . .;)

If it bugs you send it back . . . At least it's Summer . .so the down time isn't as significant as a Winter-time discovered defect . .

The SPLIT: I wonder that there's always the possibility that the jacket left the factory perfect indeed . .but with any jostling and/or temperature variances perhaps the leather was smooth, dry and taut in that area and it only needed time to "sproing" . .as it were . . . I've had brand new Filson bridle leather do the same sort of thing . . You tweak it a bit and it'll crack here and there . . This reminds me of the Seinfeld cantaloupe episode: "I don't return fruit. Fruit is a gamble. I know that going in." -Seinfeld to Kramer . . Guys will disagree I'm sure but leather presents the same sorts of issues . . Unless you know the exact whereabouts and nutritional history of your involved animals . . you've got unknowns in the leather today and 2 months later unworn in your closet . . . e.g. barbed wire marks, hot spots, dry skin, poor food choices, pesticides, solar flares, follicle degradation from global warming pollutants etc . .as much as you try and control the finished hide there still may be latent defects . . . . BUT then again your particular cantaloupe cost $600+ . . .

For me I'd probably sand down the split and redye it . . .but as for the storm cuff thing . . .I'd either send it back with assurances of a timely turn around or source a local tailor and have Aero refund some cash . . thereby avoiding another round of shipping hassle/extra charges/potential transit loss . . .

skippymchaggis

New in Town
i think GHQ1 made a decent point:

for me, the leather is going to get worn and will show wear. that appears to be a scuff and not a split, so i personally wouldn't split hairs about it.

but the storm cuffs are a bigger deal. as people have pointed out, if you don't like them and didn't order them, Aero should fix it. I imagine the turn around time will be around 2 weeks.

i recently got my first aero and was afraid i was going to get them, and the jacket arrived without them, so i was very pleasantly surprised. i had been planning on using the services of my mother in law (a wonderful seamstress/tailor) to remove them if i didn't like them.

i think because we have a captive and passionate audience here, the relative expense involved (it's a luxury jacket purchase after all), and the anonymity of the internet we allow the drama of it all to magnify certain aspects of the purchases and customer service experience into big old hairy deals.

aero makes a great product, and i'm sure, wants to continue to do so. if you receive a product that isn't what you expect, by all means, take it up with them. i'm sure they'll do whatever they can to make it right.

bobjones

A-List Customer
univibe88 said:
I hope that is not the case

Will runs a tight shop, is VERY selective on who he hires, and his training is very thorough. Thank goodness we are in the very beginning of summer - which even here in NY means another 3 months :eek: of no leather jacket wearing.

I even told Will he can take until August or early September to get my Hwyman replaced; it is so friggin' hot here I could barely tolerate putting the thing on when I got it Wednesday.

(FYI: it might be my sensitivity, but the black stewart modern seemed a heavier material than the reiver, but I could be mistaken.)

I think they just got buried by orders over a 3-6 month period and became a bit overwhelmed - which as a fellow small business owner, can happen from time to time, but is a good problem to have.

It is in our collective best interest for Aero to continue to have this "problem," I hope to be ordering from them for many decades to come...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot