Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero custom Bootlegger

jack miranda

A-List Customer
May 18: jacket ordered
Sept. 10: Amanda contacts me for payment info, says the jacket is about to be made, and will mail on/or about
Sept 17 or 18
Sept 28: jacket arrives

This jacket is made from a 'mid-weight' steerhide that is like nothing I've ever worn. While it has weight, 3 kg (6.6 pounds), it is so supple and soft it could be lamb or the finest goat.

I added Californian buckle cuffs and a bi-swing G-1 back; eliminated the front breast pocket; added a map pocket to the inside; a black satin lining; NO storm cuffs. The satin lining and lack of storm cuffs make it a dream to slip on and off. The fit is exactly right; I can wear a sweater underneath the jacket with complete comfort. The color is cordovan. Here are some pics:

2963887020104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2403968930104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2596470700104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2335878550104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2215202270104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2265868350104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2406910800104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm dressed up because I'm just home from teaching school on my first day of wearing the new jacket. Saturday pics would be blue jeans and my Chippewas, but, you get the idea. To me, this really looks and feels like a 30's jacket; I like it a lot. It was well worth the four month wait.

gfirob

Familiar Face
Great Bootlegger

Beautiful jacket. I got a FQHH Cordoba Bootlegger earlier this year and it is very interesting how nicely the lighter leather fits on your jacket. If I have a complaint about my jacket, it is just that this heavy leather takes a while to get comfortable.

Great choices on the custom work.

Congratulations

blethook

One of the Regulars
Nice!

Jack,

Congratulations on the beautiful jacket!! I can see from the pics that the leather is very soft & supple - almost cotton-like!! I didn't know Aero has this kind of hide.

What's the sizing of the bootlegger like? Is it neat fitting like their 1930 Half-Belt? Did you order your normal size?

I love the sleeve design - like the Aero Californian...Does it have the stormcuffs?

Erwin

JanSolo

Practically Family
Super nice!!!

Jack, that is a superb looking jacket. The fit is perfect and the details are amazing. Good choice of leather too! Your whole attire in the pics looks sharp. Very 1930-40ish. I wish I could grow a beard like you.
I bet there's no breaking in required...

Enjoy your cool jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks sharp

That really suits you, you pull off that look, which would not work for everyone. But it's still real heavy for a mid-weight steer. Anything over 2 kilos, I personally find too cumbersome to wear, even in the cold.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket, Jack. Beautiful leather and great fit. Although the standard FQHH is nice, its great to see some of the other leathers Aero has to offer. Definitely looks like it was worth the wait.

(And NO storm cuffs! No Miranda home customization required...)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Great Looking Jacket!!!

I think you were very smart to pick the lighter weight hide and action back- the regular bootlegger is a liitle snug through the upper back. The bi-swing back eliminated that 'tug' when you reach forward.
Smart looking jacket!:)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Good choice.

One of the very few Aero jacket models I actually like.
A lot of their "vintage" styles don't look quite so vintage.
Mine will have a scalloped shoulder yoke and centre pleat in the back.

The action back is a good idea, shame they couldn't have made it a bit
more discreet- snugger, a bit less of the bat-wing but then maybe I'm
being fussy.

Good choice of style and hide- that is very nicely grained steerhide.

Congratulations.

B
T

andy richards

Practically Family
Superb looking jacket! Excellent choice and excellent fit also. I like the Californian cuffs. Please post some pics after a couple of weeks of wearing.
Cheers,
Andy

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
That really is great looking leather, sir! I've been pondering which leather to order for a longer jacket, something pliable enough that you could sit comfortably in it right from the start. I think maybe you've just given me my answer.

Did they tell you anything about how well that leather is expected to hold up in rain?

jack miranda

A-List Customer
No, Splitcoil, Aero made no mention of

how well the steerhide will wear in rain. But, as my wife always says to me, "It kept the cow dry didn't it?"

Seriously, Split, I don't wear my leather jackets in the rain. Out comes the Goretex when the wet starts. If I get caught in a rain with one of the jackets on, I don't worry about it. I simply take a towel and wipe it down when I get home.

The first version of the Bootlegger I had was made of such heavy steerhide I could scarcely scratch my nose while wearing it. So, at least three times, I put it out in heavy rain for several hours at a stretch to loosen it up. It didn't hurt the leather a bit; nor, did it loosen it appreciably, either. So, I'd just wear it and not worry about it.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Ah yes, but I'm coming at it from the other angle. I definitely wear mine in the rain, on purpose! That's why I went with the FQHH for my LHB, as it's nicely waterproof. I know the heavy steer slowly soaks up rain, but is good enough for reasonably light rain. If it's as good as that, then it would do fine around here. We get rain often, but not very hard.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Thanks for all your comments:

blethook:
What's the sizing of the bootlegger like? Is it neat fitting like their 1930 Half-Belt? Did you order your normal size?
This is a standard '42'. The Bootlegger is a slim pattern; that is why I asked for the bi-swing back, for ease of movement. Though with this leather, I probably did not need it. Aero's 42 is a natural good fit for me--another reason I like their jackets so well. No fooling around.

southernwayfarer:
(And NO storm cuffs! No Miranda home customization required...)
lol That sleeve pic was just for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko