Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Half Belt fit check

pacreamer

New in Town
I received my Aero 30s HB fit jacket today. What do you all think of the fit.

I think sleeves maybe .5” too long.

Would love a longer back of body and a less pronounced dip in front.

I wore with a T-shirt and then with a heavyweight sweatshirt for layering test as I will most likely be layering with a flannel or lighter sweatshirt.

Any other styles I should consider?

Also is it too baggy around my back of shoulders?

A9732E19-44BD-48D0-8492-150F77C5EBBD.jpeg
D0E8E9FC-6DA9-4C09-B203-DD4A936EB2CE.jpeg
A96E5E8C-5661-4F82-8FBF-519EA83283BC.jpeg
2216EAA8-03A1-4418-83CE-36A0766E5394.jpeg
9B70A132-A74D-4F29-A077-0B52C84821A6.jpeg
16A3511A-EF1F-44A1-A041-4B346CC8BE6A.jpeg
67008849-EF8C-493E-B303-53DF7D62770E.jpeg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Back of the shoulders looks too big, sleeves slightly long, and a bit snug in the waist, though that may be the sweatshirt. From these pics, it looks like you might want a more straight, less tapered pattern.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Just my honest view, the sleeves are about 1.5 inches long. The reason is for your shoulders looking a little big is due to the sleeves not seating correctly at the writs. Furthermore just think the jacket is also 1 size too big. But if you like to rock it with a sweatshirt that is all cool in my book. This cut is in the trim size and I think it wears better with a thinner shirt.

pacreamer

New in Town
Cool. I appreciate the input.

Yeah, I would more times than not be wearing this with a thinner hoodie, or flannel. I’m in Colorado so I’m afraid getting a jacket made just to fit perfectly over a T-shirt would limit the wearing of said jacket.. will definitely be some type of layering happening.

Are there any other styles from Aero that I should consider?

Highwayman?
Hooch Hauler?

Thanks!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
In addition to the 30s HB being slimmer fitting relatively speaking, I believe the shorter back and pronounced front dip are part of the defining features of this style/pattern. Perhaps the Highwayman or the 50s HB would be more in line with your preferences/needs.

pacreamer

New in Town
In addition to the 30s HB being slimmer fitting relatively speaking, I believe the shorter back and pronounced front dip are part of the defining features of this style/pattern. Perhaps the Highwayman or the 50s HB would be more in line with your preferences/needs.
Thanks for that recommendation. Ive been eyeing the Highwayman, but not the 50s HB yet.

Last edited:
Is this a Thurston Bros jacket? IMO they spec these entirely, frankly laughably, too long. This jacket typically has a 2.5”-3” front drop. If you put that on a 26.5” back the front becomes a car coat.

For most folk in the average height range of 5’10”-6’ this jacket should not be more than 25” in the back. Maybe even an inch less.

I agree the back/shoulders does look a bit excessive/large. For comparisons sake, the 50’s HB gives you a very similar style with a bit more room all around and a blunt cut hem.
50’s HB (the better pattern imo):
B5381C68-FD97-423D-A169-73F6D780ACA3.jpeg
26804E52-8E38-4A14-B33E-A6A2C409018D.jpeg
ACDDF005-EB9A-4691-83B1-95311D14686F.jpeg

30’s:
E1D58840-D785-4090-AC5B-69B06316349B.jpeg
EA333D71-5250-429B-8D43-DDFC039C2BEE.jpeg
31360B70-4679-4758-8F38-4ADD479D66BF.jpeg

sshack

A-List Customer
I think it's a good, real-world fit. Personally, my test of a good fit doesn't translate to pictures. My own check list: Can you take the jacket on and off without grimacing? Can you reach one of the chest-inner pockets without pinching your forearms? Can you drive a car in your jacket? And most importantly (with Aero jackets): Does the collar dig into the back of your neck and push down on your traps? Because as good as it looks in pics, if it hurts to wear, you don't wear it.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I agree with what's been said, especially Tony's input above.

The Highwayman is an even more difficult style to fit correctly. There are several threads that deal with it and the sizing of this very nice, but a bit difficult to nail - fit wise jacket.

Carrie is the best way to go especially first time around, but I agree sometimes these HB's can be a little too long, My '30's HB was, then again I wanted it to be a "layering" piece and I bought it off the rack when they still had their brick & moter store.

It's a nice jacket, but the shouder especailly are too broad, even with the sweatshirt.

pacreamer

New in Town
I think it's a good, real-world fit. Personally, my test of a good fit doesn't translate to pictures. My own check list: Can you take the jacket on and off without grimacing? Can you reach one of the chest-inner pockets without pinching your forearms? Can you drive a car in your jacket? And most importantly (with Aero jackets): Does the collar dig into the back of your neck and push down on your traps? Because as good as it looks in pics, if it hurts to wear, you don't wear it.
I would say yes to all of those. I guess I'm not leaning towards a super traditional fit. That's pretty clear giving that I need/want to layer with this. I'm not in So.Cal. where perhaps I'd seek the more trad fit.

I've got a Himel Bros. Northlander (listed in Marketplace) and yeah, driving is a bit uncomfortable with that jacket. I'll see if I can get some fit pics of that one on here to compare.

sshack

A-List Customer
I would say yes to all of those. I guess I'm not leaning towards a super traditional fit. That's pretty clear giving that I need/want to layer with this. I'm not in So.Cal. where perhaps I'd seek the more trad fit.

I've got a Himel Bros. Northlander (listed in Marketplace) and yeah, driving is a bit uncomfortable with that jacket. I'll see if I can get some fit pics of that one on here to compare.
Basically, the bottom line is this. Some of my former jackets I looked forward to taking them off more than putting them on. That's when you realize it's not a good fit.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
My 5c for this pair of denim and zipped up with this hoodie:
- Sleeves could be shorter .5" but this is also pretty good.
- Back length is spot on, a bit too short if anything.
- Front length could be .25"-.5" shorter but also pretty good as is.
- Seems a bit too snug around the belt and especially around the belly/waist.
- Bit too much material around the upper back and triceps area.
So yeah maybe I would go for some model (or custom adjustments) that would have less space in the upper back and more space around the hem and waist. Like someone already said - something less tapered, more boxy.
Cool jacket, tobacco badalassi?

Aero makes a Premier 30s HB with narrower shoulders and slimmer sleeves. At 5’7” I would figure a good back length would be around 22-23” in this jacket. I like front-drop on my jackets, but maybe you could ask for less extreme- like 2in.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Aero makes a Premier 30s HB with narrower shoulders and slimmer sleeves. At 5’7” I would figure a good back length would be around 22-23” in this jacket. I like front-drop on my jackets, but maybe you could ask for less extreme- like 2in.
I'm 5'7" and 22 or 23" back is pretty spot on. I could go for 21, but I wear high waisted stuff. One of the biggest mistakes myself and other short guys have made is accepting jackets that are too long for us.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
I see the same issues as everybody here has pointed out. I had the same issues considering bodylength on my 30's halfbelt. (other measurements were spot on.) For me at 5ft10 backlength cannot be longer than 25" preferably 24,25-24,5" at 25,75" it made the front of the jacket look all wrong when worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider