Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero highwayman Custom Order Help

wawfully

New in Town
Hi,

I need some support concerning size selection for a new AERO highwayman jacket.
I am a thin guy and I want a snug fit.
I hope it tapers from the chest to the waist.

My measures are:
Height: 177 cm
Weight: 60 KG
Chest: 94 cm
Trouser: 29
Waist at navel: 73 cm
shoulder seam to shoulder seam :46cm
sleeves :66cm
collar seam to bottom (back) :66cm

Should I choose a size 38 or size 36?

Thanks for help!
cheers
wawfully

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Difficult to say without a chest measurement. Drop Aero an email with the above details, plus chest size, they'll be able to sort you out on sizing. Not much taper on a Highwayman though, they're quite boxy really. I believe they used to taper them a bit if requested, but not sure if they'll still do that now.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, best to ask Aero about both size and fit. As Dav says, the Highwayman is a boxy fit by deliberate design, so you might want to describe the sort of fit you want to Holly at Aero and ask which models come closer.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm 155lbs, 39" chest and I was recommended a size 34 or 36 Highwayman by Thurston. I reckon you'd take a 34 or even a 32. Sounds crazy but they really do run about 2-3 sizes big.

wawfully

New in Town
Could I get some help with some Aero sizing? I know what Amanda and Will at Aero think, but I wanted to get some replies from folks here who have owned highwayman jackets.

Thanks for your replies ahead of time ;-) !!!

Dav

One Too Many
I've got a 42" chest and a size 42 HWM, which is a little large with just a tee shirt but is ideal for layering, so based on that I'd say go for the smaller of your two options.
Amanda and Will no longer work for Aero btw, they are now part of Alexander Leathers.

EDIT

Welcome to the Lounge, Wawfully!

Last edited:

wawfully

New in Town
take a 34 or even a 32.:eeek:
I need 46cm shoulders seam to seam. size 34 jackets is impossible for me to fit in.

wawfully

New in Town
Hello Dav,Thank's for your comments... :)
Since regular length for 36 is 24", adding 1.5" in the back and 2" in the front.What do you think about the fit?

Edward

Bartender
Could I get some help with some Aero sizing? I know what Amanda and Will at Aero think, but I wanted to get some replies from folks here who have owned highwayman jackets.

Thanks for your replies ahead of time ;-) !!!

As Dav has said, neither Amanda nor Will have been at Aero for some time now. I've heard it said that Ken has revised the sizing in respect of some patterns since he took over the reins at Aero again, so it's definitely worth asking those questions again at Aero regarding sizing.

Having owned several Aeros myself, while it's important to get the right size, I'd caution against buying a size smaller in order to get a neater fit (rather than needing a size smaller). Some folks have done that - there was also someone here some years ago who had serious modifications made to a Highwayman to produce a much slimmer jacket - but it seems to me to miss what the jacket is about. I think you'd be better off trying a different one if you want a slimmer fit than the standard pattern in your correct size. Good luck with whatever you buy, though... I love Aero's stuff. If only I had the cash to buy every one of them I want....

Dav

One Too Many
Adding some length to the arms and body shouldn't be a problem, I have to do the same, not sure they'll do different front and back lengths on a HWM, I think you'll need a different jacket for that, the 30s half-belt I think does have different lengths.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi,

I need some support concerning size selection for a new AERO highwayman jacket.
I am a thin guy and I want a snug fit.
I hope it tapers from the chest to the waist.

I'm a slim guy and my experience with a highwayman is you won't get the fit you are looking for if you want a snug fit. Its a boxy design made for more generously proportioned gentlemen. By design it doesn't taper from the chest to the waist.

The best advice for you would be to go through insurrection and get a fit jacket to help you decide or just go for a slimmer fitting style jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just saw your post, and based on your body size and expectations for a trim fit, I would recommend that you choose a 30's slim fit, Dustbowl, or something else that is based on a 30's fit rather than a more full 50's fit which would include the Highwayman.

wawfully

New in Town
30's slim fit is an understated classic from an era where longevity was expect of a leather jacket,but I don't like the halfbelt at the back of the jacket:confused:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Nothing wrong with a halfbelt so that the jacket can be cinched a bit tighter if needed at the level of the true waist rather than at the belt level that tends to produce premature wear of the lining from the rings or cinches rubbing against the belt. Early on, I too preferred the HWM design over the HB's but now prefer the HB design over anything else. Just my preference at this point in time.

wdw

One Too Many
I'm with Fanch. I had a HWM and thought it was great at first, but didn't like the boxiness and the way the front sits higher. I sold it for a Dustbowl, which is a much trimmer fit, and am so much happier with it. It's now my favourite jacket.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm with Fanch. I had a HWM and thought it was great at first, but didn't like the boxiness and the way the front sits higher. I sold it for a Dustbowl, which is a much trimmer fit, and am so much happier with it. It's now my favourite jacket.

If you're a 38 in the Dustbowl, a 36 or 34 (36 for a more generous fit and 34 for a more fitted look) should be about right in the Aero Highwayman...when the Highwayman in sized down, the fit looks very, very nice!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran