Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman fitting advice needed

Mich486

One Too Many
I might be a bit slow today. But, what do you mean?
If your actual chest is 42” a size 38” highwayman might look like it’s got a p2p that works ok but then it’s going to feel small in many other places (the neck hole is way too tight, the front pulls… etc.) .

The highwayman has very low armholes making the p2p measurement not that useful imho.

I’ve owned 4 highwaymans. From 2 size down up to my standard chest size. I don’t feel like recommending to size down 2 is the right approach unless you plan to only wear it open or half zipped with a single thin layer underneath.

Anyway, speak to the people at Aero and firm up your measurements or that of a jacket that you feel fits fine.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have size 40 regular highwaymans. Its 19” shoulder, 24” P2P, 22” hem, 25” back and sleeves. These are stock dimensions. They fit quite big for size 40 but make no mistake the neck hole is not that big. I wear 16” 34.5” dress shirts and the size 40 highwayman is on the borderline at the neck. So downsizing can only work if neck size checks out.

If you like slimmer fitted highwayman’s it’s best to go for the premier cuts like @MrProper phwymn. You can widen the shoulders to fit, I’ve done it on my board racer, Aero can widen shoulders up about 3/4”. The premier cuts comes with better hardware too, and button cuffs.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
May I ask why you’re considering the Highwayman at all?

Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s a really cool jacket–but I’m not sure I get what about it fits your needs.

Fred121

New in Town
Found a picture of one of those jackets that felt pretty good. Could someone say whick one it is? Looks like a premier highwayman?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129_063157_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_063157_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148

Fred121

New in Town
I wanna say thank's for all the help. My first thread and didn't expect this kind of action. I've decided to go for a premier hwm in black cxl horsehide with brass zippers/talons. Still not sure what size, but now I don't have the issue with pit2pit and the low armholes. Still not sure what size, either 40 or 42. Surely Aero will help me from here on.

MrProper

Found a picture of one of those jackets that felt pretty good. Could someone say whick one it is? Looks like a premier highwayman?
No Highwayman.
The band on the hem is missing, the chest pocket is not horizontal enough, the side adjusters seem to be at the waist.

I really liked this set-up
Zip sleeves, brass hardware, slanted chest pocket, d rings for the side cinches.
The only things I’d change are longer front drop (extra inch) and thinner leather in the sleeve gussets, or Indian Ranger style flap gussets- it gets thick with all the hide bunched up in the slim sleeves.
Oh, get sateen in the sleeves!

Fred121

New in Town
I really liked this set-up
Zip sleeves, brass hardware, slanted chest pocket, d rings for the side cinches.
The only things I’d change are longer front drop (extra inch) and thinner leather in the sleeve gussets, or Indian Ranger style flap gussets- it gets thick with all the hide bunched up in the slim sleeves.
Oh, get sateen in the sleeves!
I want my jacket to look like that. So that's CXL? Cxl=Steerhide?
That's another decision. What leather to choose..hmm...

That was CXL Horsehide.
Beautiful to look at- difficult for me to wear. I once had a jacket in the same batch of CXL that was “broken” by soaking in a tub of hot water for 2 hours. I didn’t do that to the Premier HYWYMN.
QfZHpNi.jpg

RAkKgz2.jpg

This jacket is a Seven: a board racer with shirt collar.

Last edited:

MrProper

I want my jacket to look like that. So that's CXL? Cxl=Steerhide?
That's another decision. What leather to choose..hmm...
If CXL, then I would definitely recommend the CXSH = Horween CXL steerhide. CXFQHH is nice, but too stiff for my taste. CXSH is more wearable.
Interestingly, my CXSH and my Badalassi weigh exactly the same at 2.65 kg/5.85 lbs. Also seem to both be almost identical in thickness.

Fred121

New in Town
Allright. Yeah I've heard the horsehide is usually very stiff and takes some time to break in. Makes me think of my engineer boots. They nearly crippled my feet. The steer a bit easier. In appearance, what is usually the difference between the two? The CXFQHH a bit more shiny?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch