Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman, help!

Barry

Practically Family
:cry:

I was sitting on the bus this morning and looked down and noticed that the zipper on my zipped up highwayman had come unzipped - at the bottom! It basically split. Once I got home I tried zipping down and reconnecting the zipper but it didn't work. After a four hour struggle I said to myself either I'm going to have to pull it apart forcefully or cut through the leather to get out of the jacket. I opted for pulling the zipper apart.

How is Aero on repairs? I wrote to them but I doubt I'll hear back until Monday. Based on my experiences so far I think they'll be able to get it back into shape in a short period of time - they seem to have great customer service.

Thanks,

Barry

shamus

Suspended
I had a similar issue with my D1. The bottom male part of the zipper pulled out from the cotton backing a little and makes it difficult to zip up. Ken sent me a new zipper to sew in asap.

I've never sent my jacket there for repairs, it might be cheaper to have them send you a new zipper and have a local guy do it....

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
A friend of mine recieved an Aero Hercules jacket last week made from their sale jerky cordovan horse. upon examing it, I was shocked to find that it featured a central YKK (stamped "Aero" on the front of the pull and "YKK" on the back of the box) zipper and not a Talon.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
It's hell isn't it, especially when the zip goes in public!

For future reference: the best way out is to remove the metal stoppers from the top of the zip, pull the slider up and off at the top, then pull the teeth apart. Once you've got the jacket off, refit the slider and see if the zip still works. Quite often the problem is that you didn't align the two halves properly at the bottom when you zipped it up, and a couple of teeth didn't mesh, or the male end piece pulled out of the female box. The rest of the zip then pulls apart as you move around. However, If you still have trouble then the problem is usually that the slider is starting to widen, and a gentle squeeze between a pair of pliars before you refit it can often cure this.....if not a new slider will often do the trick.

(I like the new Avatar mud - the great John Dillinger if I'm not much mistaken?!)

Harry Lime

Suspended
This is odd...

...but I have a number of Aero jackets and have had zipper problems with a number of them as well. Maybe the standard zippers they use aren't heavy duty enough to handle the horsehide? I dunno.

Harry Lime

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I think the fittings are the weak spot on Aero Jackets. Fantastic leather, great designs, but often let down by cheaper zips,buckles, snaps etc.

Barry

Practically Family
nightandthecity said:
I think the fittings are the weak spot on Aero Jackets. Fantastic leather, great designs, but often let down by cheaper zips,buckles, snaps etc.

I noticed the same thing. The leather, designs and stitching are all wonderful but the zippers & buckles seemed to be so-so. If they were producing thousands and thousands of jackets (maybe they are, I dunno) I could understand it. Either way - if I'm going to spend what I spent for one of their jackets I would be willing to spend a few extra bucks for better fittings.

Barry

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Barry, re; your Aero jacket (suggestion).

Barry. Really sorry to hear about the zip in the new jacket. Contact Mark Moye the Aero rep in the USA. Mark is pure 25ct gold to deal with and he will seamlessly sort the problem out. Tell him that Paddy said to go to him. There should be 'no cost' to you as Aero pride themselves in looking after their customers. If the jacket needs to go to Scotland, Mark will sort that out. Or, he will get a zip sent over and a recognised professional to replace the zip.
Sadly, once in a blue moon things do go 'tits up' in life, and we remember those things for it!! :)

MARK MOYE OF AERO

Hope that helps you out!! :cheers1:

Barry

Practically Family
Paddy,

Thanks. I appreciate it. I sent the jacket in to Amanda, probably should have gone through Mark though. It landed in the UK last night. I guess it will arrive at Aero today or tomorrow - whenever it clears customs.

I am not too upset. I might actually order a half-belt next year if I can slim down a bit - it seems to be a slimmer fit jacket.

Barry

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Barry, that is the black Highwayman, you have had less than a month?! Did you stress it in any way prior to this happening? I received my second Aero Highwayman jacket on Christmas Day. I would hate to think it is going to break in a few days... :confused:

I have heard of jackets having the zipper break or even folks who have ripped the leather when they caught the jackets or stressed them while sitting. This is usually the longer style jackets though.

Barry

Practically Family
rick5150 said:
Barry, that is the black Highwayman, you have had less than a month?! Did you stress it in any way prior to this happening? I received my second Aero Highwayman jacket on Christmas Day. I would hate to think it is going to break in a few days... :confused:

Yep, that's the one. The leather is in 100% great shape. It is one heck of a beautiful jacket. It is by far the nicest jacket I have ever owned. It didn't go through any undue stress that I know of. It fits well and I wore it a lot. It actually split from the bottom a few days prior to the incident where it came apart. I'm not sure what causes this.

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
I just wanted to follow up and say that I am very pleased with my communication with the folks at Aero. They have been extremely helpful and kind! Looking forward to getting the jacket back soon.

Barry

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great to hear things are moving forwards..

Great news Barry. I know its annoying when you get a baby like that in your hands and you have to let her go for a 'wee while!' But she'll be back in your arms soon enough keeping you warm through those cold winter nights. The guys at Aero won't like this anymore than you do, as they pride themselves in workmanship, so I dare say the stops will be pulled out and maximum effort given to get the jacket back onto 'your back!' Sounds like a gem of a hide you've gone for!

Barry

Practically Family
Glad you mentioned that.

I have been preparing for two trips and totally blanked on that one. Thought I asked but apparently I did not because I checked my old emails.

This shipping fee issue is the one drawback to the whole ordeal...will report back when I find out what they can do.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats