Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman or Half Belt?

South

One of the Regulars
Thinking about ordering one in brown, probably FQHH. (Also considering heavy steerhide.)

It seems from pictures that they are both the same length, with the Highwayman having side cinches at the bottom and the Half Belt having them at the middle?

I would like it to be longer than belt length - maybe about 2-4" longer. Haven't decided for sure, yet.

Any other differences?

Thanks (and would welcome any recommendations between the two).

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
The 'Long Half Belt'

is quite nice. I've been wearing mine to death this winter, and it's about the length you're looking for. Mine, in cordovan FQHH:
P1030221-aerolhbvancouver.jpg

Really..both jackets are nice..and it does come down to personal preference.
I have both jackets...and here's my take. The HalfBelt jacket has a straighter smoother shaped body..and with back belt..a more tailored or trimmer appearance. The Highwayman jacket retains a tailored look in the shoulders as the HalfBelt..but a more relaxed body shape compared to the HB(not baggy or blousey)..perhaps mainly because the absence of the higher back belt..and with the leather panel trim located around the bottom of the Highwayman. They are,indeed,both the same length in stock jackets.
The Highwayman is probably more forgiving for those kinda thick in the middle(so to speak). However..in my view..the HalfBelt may be a better style for adding longer length. Aero also makes a long Halfbelt(as pictured above and very nice)that you may want to consider as well.
The only other difference between the HB and Hwymn is the HB has a slanted chest pocket where the Hwymn has a straight pocket.
I have several HBs...and a Bootlegger..but must admit that I do grab the Highwayman most often. Maybe because it is broken in very well compared to the others(first Aero civi jacket)...or because the Hwymn style is just so comfortable.
I recommend that you eventually try both styles..but for me..if I only planned on one Aero jacket it would be a brown FQHH Highwayman...hands down.
HD

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Does the Halfbelt still come with the pleats on the back? I noticed that a recently posted action-back Halfbelt didn't have them. If I were ordering a Halfbelt I would skip the pleats. When done correctly the pleats are nice, but some Aero tailors have 'interesting' ideas when it comes to pleats.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Elmonteman said:
Does the Halfbelt still come with the pleats on the back? I noticed that a recently posted action-back Halfbelt didn't have them. If I were ordering a Halfbelt I would skip the pleats. When done correctly the pleats are nice, but some Aero tailors have 'interesting' ideas when it comes to pleats.

I assumed the pleats were a standard feature when I ordered my halfbelt a few months ago. I would strongly urge you to be specific in your order - if you don't want pleats, make that clear when you give the order details.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Elmonteman said:

Do you have any pics of an "interesting" pleat?

Im not entirely sure I know what it is, but I think its the folded end of the leather?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Aha yeah that was my second guess it meant :D

I think they look good but understand that they could be catastrophic if done wrong, but that would be an error in the making and it could be returned am I right?

Tripleterror

New in Town
I asked the same question about pleats when I ordered my '50's Halfbelt recently.
If you look at the 'Details' page and click 'Backs' it does show a '50's Halfbelt with pleats.
Will told me that they no longer put pleats above the belt anymore, but as with everything at Aero, if you want it, they'll do it.
Simon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn