Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman

Peacoat

Bartender
After a little over a year of reading about the leather jackets on this forum, I have decided that I really need another leather jacket and what it should be. I like the flight jackets, especially the WWII originals, but that's not what I wore when I was a pilot. We had nylon. So the leather flight jackets don't hold a lot of fascination for me.

After seeing the Highwayman a bunch of times on this board and on Aero's website, I have decided that I can actually justify buying one. I ride a motorcycle, and we sometimes need to update our leather. Now is that time!

The HH is out as my wife really didn't understand when I told her that horse made the best motorcycle jackets (we have Thoroughbreds). She wouldn't discuss it further. So, it looks like the "heavy" steer is the choice. We haven't had cattle on the farm in seven or eight years.

My question is about the Alpaca. That is the lining that comes with the steer Highwayman. I am wondering if it adds much bulk--as the shearling would--or if it is fairly compact. I want something that is warm, but allows for good movement on the bike. If any of you have experience with this lining, please let me know your thoughts.

Hi Peacoat
I have the alpaca lining in my Highwayman. No..it is not heavy at all. Nothing like shearling. In fact it is my favorite more versatile lining for the climate here in Indiana. It would be great for MC riding. I'm also an avid MC rider. May I suggest adding a bi-swing back to the Highwayman for riding..and perhaps a little longer sleeve. Aero also offers Zip sleeves and inside pockets are an option. Contact Mark Moye at AeroLeatherUSA@aol.com for great service.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for the info, HD. I had considered the inside pockets, and the bi swing back is an excellent suggestion. Have made contact with Mark and am well on my way to narrowing things down. Whoever said he is always by the computer is right.

R

Red Beard

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I'm in the process of ordering a Steerhide Long Half Belt, myself, and I have some similar questions about the lining options. I'm torn between the blanket and alpaca. I searched but couldn't find any comparison between the two.

Barry

Practically Family
I own a Cossack with the cotton drill cloth and a Highwayman with the alpaca lining. These two jackets are cut differently - the Highwayman is roomier while the Cossack is a slimmer fit.

In my opinion the alpaca lining adds a fair amount of soft padding. It's quite warm even when it's very cold out. It's very comfortable too.

Barry

perrins57

New in Town
HIghwayman

I have a highwayman with Alpaca lining as my warm jacket. The lining is indeed warm, but not bulky like new sheep skin lining.
If you can't have horse you may also consider Aero's Buffalo-hide, its got great texture, although the steer-hide will be more like the horse.
I also had an inside pocket added (well worth doing) and a dark brown fur collar (on a mid brown jacket).
Aero are very flexible with customising, the pocket was free and the dark brown collar was not listed as an option, I think its what they normally put on a navy goat-skin jacket.
Whatever you decide on, I'm sure you'll like the result. They take some breaking in mind! I've worn mine loads during two winters and people still think its new. I've found applying Pecards helps to make the leather slightly more flexible.

Peacoat

Bartender
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Peacoat,

How's your L-2B project coming along?

Atticus

I have found a source for the leather name tag, and have found some old patches that are similar to the ones on my original jacket. Also found my plastic shoulder bars I took off when I got promoted. So, I have either found or know where to find all the accessories. Tamoko put me on a jacket, but the year and the shoulder pocket were not exactly right, and it had some stains, so I passed on it. To answer your question, I am a lot further along with it today than I was last month! It's coming together, but I am pausing for a few days to get this Aero jacket squared away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou