Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Oh, and I'd definitely echo the advice not to touch the jacket with any conditioners! On occasion we get exchanges of jackets that have been loaded up with them, and they always feel odd. You shouldn't need to do anything to your jacket for decades - if ever!

Holly @ Aero

Tomek61

New in Town
Ok, thanks for all the great advice guys, and thanks to Holly for the comments from the source. Good to know that the manufacturer takes notice of places like this.
Best

Alistar79

Familiar Face
Just wear it as often as possible. I bought mine just before christmas and its breaking in very nicely.
I walk quite a few miles with it on everyday and everytime i take if off am really seeing and also feeling the differences.
It no longer stands up by itself (although it does try) and the leather is developing that soft buttery feel your going to come to love.

Tomek61

New in Town
Further thoughts on the highwayman...

The jacket I bought was from aero stock and came with what (I think) are a couple of optional extras. First it has a full length wind flap behind the zip which looks to be double thickness leather. While this looks aesthetically ok I wonder if it serves any really useful purpose unless you're out in a hurricane! On the downside I think it effectively acts as a "stiffener" down the front of the jacket and adds to the rigidity. Second it has two inside press stud pockets which again I think stiffens up the front especially as the studs are attached to thick leather openings. On the basis that you couldn't get much in these pockets anyway, I don't really see the point.

With hindsight I doubt if I'd have included these as options by choice and I thought it may be worth making the point in case anyone was considering ordering them.

Don't get me wrong, the jacket is great, no regrets at all!
Best

andywuzc

New in Town
Hi Tomek

I also have the windflap on my new modified collar cafe racer with 4 front pockets.
Indeed, I also encounter the same problems. When I try to zip the front zipper, I could not do it without bending the whole front side outward to see the hookup point. Pretty stiff and useless, unless you ride motorbikes.
Also the hand warming pockets are hard to stick my hands in. Elbow parts are too hindered to bend into pocket. My jacket is only 2 days old and arms are still very stiff.

Could you share some pictures of you wearing your new jacket?

Last edited:

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
For those interested, a "newbie" perspective on breaking in a hh jacket. I have a fqhh Maxwell on order (January build) and am eagerly looking forward to receiving it. In the meantime, I have picked up a beautiful Aero Board Racer in black from pawninguy (excellent transaction btw). I believe this jacket was relatively unworn and arrived in great shape and "stiff" as expected exactly one week ago. On first wearing, it felt great but was definitely tight and uncomfortable in the armpits (I chalked this up to the high armholes, and was expecting it to loosen up). I have worn it as much as possible over the last week and took the advice of many on the forum including hoosierdaddy (Spray with a spray bottle of tap water until quite wet and wearing until dry will help to mold it to your body), pawninguy (wear it zipped up), and zebedee (sleep in it). All this has been helped by a 8 hour flight to France (wearing the jacket) and the past few days here in Paris, wearing the jacket over several layers. Leather is loosening a LOT, and beginning to pullup on sleeves and develop some graining. Overall MUCH softer after only one week. Also, black is "wearing" nicely in part to the undertone brown (which I definitely wanted). This was the most surprising to me as I have a 3 year old Fox Creek cafe racer that (although much softer) looks like the day it was purchased. I believe in wearing (not babying) a leather jacket, and I'm sure this has helped. It will be interesting to see if my Maxwell experience is the same. A few quick picks of jacket today (on my hotel room floor)..and a quick "selfie" here in the small hotel room. Board front 1.jpg Board back 1.jpg aero board 3.jpg unnamed5.jpg

pawineguy

One Too Many
^ Greg, looks great. I can see a huge difference already (in a good way), with a lot more grain popping out. Just goes to show that FQHH can be tamed, and it doesn't have to take that long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy