Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Horsehide Samples

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just add a wee bit to this thread. I received some samples of Aero's Italian seal and dark seal HH, plus the jerky seal HH to have a look at. I've got an 1756 A-2 on order, and generally they recommend the seal jerky HH for it. Pics are slightly more red in pic than real life, and are closer tonally, but not too far off.

From what I can see of these samples, the Italian seal (centre) has by far the softest hand (it flops), followed closely by the dark seal (right), while the jerky HH is relatively, er, stiff in comparison. The Italian seal has the most grain and lovely russet undertone, but the dark seal has a lot to recommend it too and is closer to the colour of original 1756's that I've found online.

I'm tempted to go with the dark seal with the caramel knits to try and get as close to a proper repro. Opinions?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The knits on the one above are replacements. I spoke to Ken and he said that the one original he had seen were the lighter caramel, and I notice that The Few's version has something similar, though these cost the thick end of a grand:

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Having lived with my Sheene for a few months now, I can't recommend it more highly. The newer batches of the dark seal, which are a little lighter than the first batch, look really sharp. Sounds like you're on the right track to an amazing jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think I'm going to have to change my order though, I initially went with the straight ahead seal and a 36, but I'm told I'll probably have to size up to a 38. Will be going over next month, so I'll have a chance to try on one and see how I get on. I think it could look very sharp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24