Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero HWM - Steerhide - Cordovan

ShaneB

New in Town
I've possibly got the opportunity to get one of these second hand - anyone have any experiences with them in the steerhide? Not sure about the cordovan tbh, but from reading threads on here the steerhide might be a bit too rigid & cumbersome as a run of the mill jacket?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Cordovan steer is gorgeous, the flexibility will depend on how much breaking in time the jacket has seen... to me, the big question will be how you feel about the weight, which will be substantial.

schitzo

Suspended
Certainly it'd be a heavy SOB alright. Perfect for falling off a bike in but less great for knocking around in. IMHO if it's a casual jacket you're after the steer is too heavy

wdw

One Too Many
I had a cordovan steer HWM for a while, and it was definitely heavier and stiffer than my FQHH one. The colour is great, as said so often on this board. Very versatile.

ShaneB

New in Town
I'd just be knocking about in it....hmmmm, I'll have to think about it, it's still fairly pricey & for a couple hundred extra I could get something from Aero. I doubt I'd recoup what I'd pay for it if I didn't get on with it.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't own one myself, but from what I've gathered here the HWM is a boxy, big-fitting jacket. Maybe some others could give him advice as to sizing. It might save him a few bucks.

schitzo

Suspended
It's what aero describe as an 'oversized pattern'. Members here have been known to size TWO sizes down, though for me one size down was enough. Again, IMHO if you are going in for the heavy leather - which I'm not - you want as little excess as possible. Ergo I really think this one is not the model you want in heavy steer if it's a casual jacket you've in mind

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Unless you have wide shoulders or some feature worth noting, two sizes down in the horse. Steer is thicker, so You might be able to get away with one size down. I don't know.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually prefer CXL steer instead of horse and don't ride. Just casual jackets. That being said, the CXL steer varies in weight from hide to hide. My black steer is noticeable thicker than my brown jacket which is really soft / flexible. Also, the thicker hide will still mold to your body and softer up but it might weigh a bit more. Not too noticeable when worn but definitely when being carried in the hand. And much more grain if you like that look.

ShaneB

New in Town
The fit should be spot on. I'm just under 6ft, weigh about 12 stone 6 pounds, my chest is about 39.5" / coming on to 40" - a regular medium, in other words. I've got an Aero A-2 in horsehide that's a 40, and that measures 22" across the chest and 18" in the shoulders (from memory) - so a bog standard medium really.

This jacket I'm eyeing up is between a 36 / 38 and measures exactly the same as my Aero, i.e. 22 across the chest and 18 in the shoulders so it should be fine. I get the impression that apart from Aero's A2s, their other jackets come up pretty big - I've seen other size 40 HWM on ebay that were 25" across the chest!!

So the jacket should fit okay - I was just reading other people's comments here in other threads and they seemed to have reservations about the steerhide - Aero have got a 36 for sale at the moment in horsehide, maybe that'd be better, albeit probably a bit more expensive?

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Shane, we're almost identical size-wise. I'd go for a 38 HWM or if you want something neater go for a 38 or even 40 30s HB.

I think going down two sizes might look a bit odd, unless you lengthen the back and sleeves to compensate a bit.

Edward

Bartender
I wear a 44 in the neater Aero jackets and a 42 in a HWM and other, more generous cuts. Really, though, you do need to bear in mind that the HWM is by design a boxy jacket. If you want a slim, close fitting style, you're better off looking at one of the jackets that is slim by design, not trying to buy a smaller hwm to wear in a way it's just not designed for. Have a look at photos round here, though... I don't want to overstress the boxy thing. I avoided the style for years as I thought it would be oversized, but it's not modern type baggy.

As to hide, mine is steer, though not the heavy steer. Mine is the same thickness as my fqhh jackets, but as new was mucb softer. Generally I really like stiff hides, but this is one style that to my eye looks great with more drape to it. My steer is exactly the same sort of hand as the best of the surviving vintage originals I've handled. I have no direct experience of the heavy steer if it's that stuff. I imagine if it's well broken in and the stiffness out it'll drape just fine, depends how comfortable you are getting it there. I like a heavy jacket I can feel I'm wearing all day, some don't. You pays your money...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm just going to echo whats been said already.
Cordovan is an amazing colour, that shouldn't stop you from getting the jacket.
I've never felt a steerhide jacket from Aero, but I know for me, the HH is heavy enough.
If you're a slimmer guy like me (you are 1 inch taller with the same chest measurement and weight) the boxy cut of the HWM just doesn't look as good as the slimmer 30's half belt based jackets IMO....or maybe the new premium HWM but thats going to cost significantly more...

ShaneB

New in Town
Maybe the 1930s would be better - I'm pretty lean, though I'm not skinny, so maybe the slimmer cuts would be more flattering? I don't know - I'd need to try it on. Aero have just uploaded some stock jackets on their sale page so I might just err on the side of caution and see what they're all about - at least I could return it then.

This jacket was 3kg anyway - I don't know if that's particularly heavy for steerhide?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The fit should be spot on. I'm just under 6ft, weigh about 12 stone 6 pounds, my chest is about 39.5" / coming on to 40" - a regular medium, in other words. I've got an Aero A-2 in horsehide that's a 40, and that measures 22" across the chest and 18" in the shoulders (from memory) - so a bog standard medium really.

This jacket I'm eyeing up is between a 36 / 38 and measures exactly the same as my Aero, i.e. 22 across the chest and 18 in the shoulders so it should be fine. I get the impression that apart from Aero's A2s, their other jackets come up pretty big - I've seen other size 40 HWM on ebay that were 25" across the chest!!

So the jacket should fit okay - I was just reading other people's comments here in other threads and they seemed to have reservations about the steerhide - Aero have got a 36 for sale at the moment in horsehide, maybe that'd be better, albeit probably a bit more expensive?

I have right about a 39.5" chest too. I'm a 40 in most jackets. Here is a size 38 HWM. I think a 36 would have been perfect.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff