Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero in Blackend Brown vincinza?

Doublegun

Practically Family
In the process of finalizing the details for an Aero Mariner. Not a black leather guy but the blackened brown is intriguing. If anyone has photos of a jacket in that leather would you please post them? From talking with Carrie at Thurston it sounds like the brown starts to show through as the jacket ages.

Thanks,

JDG

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Thanks for raising this. I have been anxiously waiting to see a review Aero's new blackened brown. I love Johnson's overdye but my understanding is its not available any more.

It sounds very similar to the CXL overdye. I have a jacket from JL in it. It's my favorite just for the very reason you're interested in the hide. Here's a pic of the overdye. I suspect The Aero hide will behave in the same way.
IMG_2153.JPG

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
Thanks for raising this. I have been anxiously waiting to see a review Aero's new blackened brown. I love Johnson's overdye but my understanding is its not available any more.
Just stopped in at Johnson Leathers today- and Alan (of Johnson Leathers) mentioned he just had a batch of the overdye black Horween leather come through. So it does still turn up now and then...

technovox

One Too Many
I just took delivery of an Aero Sheene in the new Blackened Brown Vicenza. I'm trying to put some miles on it...just as soon as it starts to show some substantial wear, I'll post some pics.
BTW- I've owned both the Horween overdyed Black, and now the Blackened Brown Vicenza. They are both beautiful leathers...but very different- in texture, in weight, in finish, and in suppleness.

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
Going with cotton drill or a tartan instead of alpaca because I want to be able to wear a heavy sweater under the jacket and not feel too warm.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I just took delivery of an Aero Sheene in the new Blackened Brown Vicenza. I'm trying to put some miles on it...just as soon as it starts to show some substantial wear, I'll post some pics.
BTW- I've owned both the Horween overdyed Black, and now the Blackened Brown Vicenza. They are both beautiful leathers...but very different- in texture, in weight, in finish, and in suppleness.

I'm not a black jacket kind of guy but the blackened brown is interesting. Can you see any hint of brown coming through? I'll probably go with dark seal which I really like.

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Actually Technovox I blame you for my love of the Howreen overdyed :mad:. You did a review of a M200-J a few years back now...any chance you still have that and could post some pictures of what it looks like with some age on it?

technovox

One Too Many
Actually Technovox I blame you for my love of the Howreen overdyed :mad:. You did a review of a M200-J a few years back now...any chance you still have that and could post some pictures of what it looks like with some age on it?
I sold off my M200-J a year or two back. The leather was just too heavy (at around 4-4.5 ounces) for this climate. Then I had a Speedway made up with the black overdye Horween...but this time I had the Horween skinned down to a manageable 3.5 ounces. For some reason I just never wore the jacket, so I sold it to a member here. That overdye is beautiful leather...but it just never worked out quite right for me. Personally, I think Ton's motorcycle jacket is the perfect match up for that kind of leather finish and weight. I hope I didn't lead you astray ;-)

Last edited:

ai00344

One of the Regulars
I sold off my M200-J a year or two back. The leather was just too heavy (at around 4-4.5 ounces) for this climate. Then I had a Speedway made up with the black overdye Horween...but this time I had the Horween skinned down to a manageable 3.5 ounces. For some reason I just never wore the jacket, so I sold it to a member here. That overdye is beautiful leather...but it just never worked out quite right for me. Personally, I think Ton's motorcycle jacket is the perfect match up for that kind of leather finish and weight. I hope I didn't lead you astray ;-)
"Led astray" LOL, no I cant blame you for that, I'm still a big fan. My only regret is not getting a shot at either of those two jackets...I will have to do a better job of keeping an eye on the classifieds. Look forward to seeing the Sheene when the time is right!

Doublegun

Practically Family
The jacket arrived today and I went with the Dark Seal Vin. WOW! It's beautiful and I believe Carrie posted photos of it today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff