Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero jackets worth it?

oskar

One of the Regulars
Thanks for correcting me. I didnt read the post completly. Mea culpa .

I think asking a high price does not have a downside for them if they dont need to sell it.
Option a is keeping the jacket which is great and option b is selling it for an inflated price which is also nice.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I had more than my share of issues with my new Aero 30s Half Belt - on three separate occasions I had to send mine in for repair...first was a broken zipper pull, second was a split hand-warmer pocket at the seam (never used for anything but my hands) and finally was the zipper split entirely (replaced with a heavier zipper). Each time, Thurston Bros went above and beyond to take care of me. Was it frustrating? Sure. Would I buy another? I wouldn't hesitate.

And now the gratuitous picture post. :D:cool:

F5yhOKlh.jpg

Despot

Familiar Face
So I’ve had a few Aeros, and recently got my hands on my first Flat Head (Delraiser). I’ve also owned a Fine Creek briefly a few years back. So I’m not judging Aero purely as an owner of nothing else if you know what I mean.

I came to Aero via Belstaff. My first proper leather jacket, bought circa 2008, was a Belstaff Panther. I loved that jacket … but eventually it was too small (bought during a skinny phase!) and I picked up a newer Belstaff online from them circa 2015. The jacket arrived and I was shocked by the crappy quality. In the 7 years between purchases everything had changed - cut, pattern, leather - it was awful … and it went straight back.

I can’t remember how I stumbled upon Aero … but my first order was a premier cut 30s Highwayman in their Vinenza veg tanned in dark seal. It’s still my best fitting jacket and one that I always get complements on wearing. My second was a sale purchase - an off-the-rack 30s half belt that I also love.

I’ve heard some don’t like the Aero veg tanned options - I’ve two in Vicenza - one black and one dark seal, and both have great grain and just look pretty good to me.

Comparing the Flat Head to the Aeros … yeah, there’s a jump up in quality. The leather is a bit more grainy and interesting … and the general fit and finish is better, but it’s not orders of magnitude better.

My first aero cost 600-700 euro … the second was around 400 on sale. There’s very little ‘fashion’ branded you’d get for that price point that would be as robust or interesting.

Are they the greatest jackets in the world - nope… but they’re great for the price point in my opinion.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Is an Aero worth it? Well, if you consider that a Savile Row made-to-measure is roughly £1,500 to £2,000, then an Aero represents excellent value: say you want a 30s HB, for that you get to choose your leather, your lining, number of pockets, and your measurements. £700 as a base price, you can go crazy with the leathers if you want, but in return you're getting a handmade jacket, specced to your taste, that will, diet permitting, last you for decades and comes with excellent after sales care.
When it comes to fit, I think it's hard to comment too much as I live close enough to Aero for them to do the measurements and talk through details etc. But I have gone through a very long process with Huntsman in London, where they had a real struggle to get things right, so I'm sympathetic to the challenge of getting it right. However, no matter how much you think you know, I would always say go with the advice that Aero gives on fit.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Is an Aero worth it? Well, if you consider that a Savile Row made-to-measure is roughly £1,500 to £2,000, then an Aero represents excellent value
I'm not sure I'm getting your comparison. Are you comparing fancy (wool) mtm sport coats to robust leather outerwear?

That's like comparing Red Wing to Gaziano & Girling and concluding Red Wing is great value.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the comparison is poor for a different reason, in that MTM suits are generally a poor economy. Huntsman does have excellent RTW and MTM– but for the price of that, you could get bespoke elsewhere, and come out looking far better because everything about the pattern works.

EDIT: To be clear, I am not using 'bespoke' in the sloppy modern internet usage.

Despot

Familiar Face
I think it’s not a direct comparison to consider suits and leather jackets, but I get the argument nonetheless.

The Delraiser that I recently picked up here fits me fairly well - I knew it was going to be a little tight on the waist as that’s the V shaped pattern that The Flat Head uses - and I also bought it as a ‘I’ll fit it in autumn’ jacket as I’ve been losing a ridiculous amount of weight since December. But it’s an off the rack jacket so fit is always going to be a compromise if you’re not the body shape for that pattern.

Same with my Addict AD-01 - a jacket I picked up to replace my Aero actually - it’s still a little tight on the waist. Now … I could have sized up in both but I’m trying to future proof a bit … and I know they’ll work out fine when jacket season rolls around later this year.

But I could have avoided all the guess work by ordering from Aero again in smaller sizes and they’d simply have fit - just like my original orders.

So … why didn’t I? Well … it started with the Delraiser. While Aero do a D pocket jacket (and I’m sure I could have spec’d it to mimic the other jacket), it just wouldn’t have scratched the itch. Same with the AD-01 … it’s very similar to the black highwayman it’s replacing … but I just like it better.

This is how it goes - it’s all a gateway drug to further down the rabbit hole! It starts with Aero, or Schott/Vanson, then leads to the next ‘level’ (maybe ELMC or Addict) and then all the way to the full on niche brands like Flat Head or Freewheelers. Or god help you …. Vintage!

Despot

Familiar Face
Sorry - my point being that when you consider that you can order the pattern of your choice to best fit your sausage body… in the leather of your choice (well - provided you like either CXL or their veg tanned!) and if you’re honest in your measurements you’ll get a jacket that fits pretty well - all for around 700 pounds.

That’s good value compared to taking a flier on an off the rack brand - even one of the high quality ones.

zebedee

One Too Many
It really depends on a lot of factors - particularly, what you are willing to spend and what you expect from an item. Personally, apart from one zip issue that fixed itself, I've not had any problem with any of the Aeros I've bought over 12 or 13 years. One mis-spec was immediately rectified with a new jacket. The 'neck' and 'cut' issues I have never experienced. I'd say that they're more than worth it for me.

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
I finally finished my unboxing for my aero leather jacket..Wasn’t sure where to post this. Saw this thread and thought why not..

I personally I think aero makes a great jacket. If anyone is interested here’s my unboxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk