Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparison of new Langlitz and Aero Goatskin Jackets

pawineguy

One Too Many
As noted in a previous thread, this is certainly an apples to oranges comparison. One jacket is a purpose built motorcycle jacket and the other, while it is a copy of an older moto design, to me is now really built as a casual jacket. This is not intended to serve as a criticism of either jacket nor will I be reaching any "conclusions." Just an exercise since the two jackets arrived within 24 hours of each other.

Dimensions:

Pit to pit = 23.5 Aero, 24.75 Langlitz
Waist = 20.75 Aero, 20.75 Langlitz
Shoulders = 18.5 Aero, 18.75 Langlitz
Sleeves = 27 Aero, 28.5 Langlitz
Front Length from bottom of collar = 21.75 aero, 21.75 Langlitz
Back Length = 25.75 Aero, 27 Langlitz
Weight = 4.5 pounds Aero, 6 pounds Langlitz

Hide - Based on the feel of both the jackets in my hand, and evidenced from the scale, I believe that the goatskin thickness is almost identical on the two jackets. When you add in the pads, extra pockets (4), larger size of the Langlitz, and the very large wind flap I think that would account for the difference in jacket weights. There are a few places on the jacket where the Langlitz is showing more grain currently, but otherwise the leather is very similar.

IMG_5084.JPG
IMG_5090 3.JPG

Collar - Very similar collar designs, except for the fact that the Aero Board Racer collar tapers a bit from the back to the front. Both have a significant overlap and I deleted the collar snap on the Langlitz for comfort. They are both constructed of a double layer of leather, and seemed to be attached in the same manner.

IMG_5082.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG

Sleeve zippers - Langlitz seems to be one size zipper larger, and they are of the same length, with the Aero zips starting higher up the arm and ending before the end of the sleeve. This particular Aero design exposes the zipper tape, where the Langlitz is more concealed by the leather. Aero is also full gusset while Langlitz has only the strip of leather, which is goat with the suede side down towards the arm. Aero runs the liner to the end of the sleeve, as opposed to the leather being folded over at the end. To me, this is all just personal preference, although certainly having leather at the end of the sleeve should be more durable.

IMG_5087.JPG
IMG_5093 3.JPG

Pockets - Soft moleskin in the Aero vs heavy canvas. Both seems very durable. On a jacket where you were using the pockets as hand warmers I would want the moleskin.

IMG_5086.JPG

Liner - Aero's cotton drill vs Langlitz cotton / poly blend. Approximately the same weight, with the Langlitz blend being more smooth and satiny, cool to the touch.

IMG_5092 3.JPG

Construction / Stitching - Very similar looking thread with the Aero at 6 stitches per inch and the Langlitz at 5. At stress points Langlitz backs up the stitching and adds another layer of stitches. Because of the way the Aero liner covers some of those same seams it's hard to tell if they do this in certain spots also. As on the sleeve, Langlitz folds over the leather on the bottom seam, covering the liner, where Aero brings the liner to the bottom of the jacket.

Langlitz adds a snap at the bottom of the jacket that takes the stress off of the zipper in case of an accident, jacket getting caught in something, etc... it connects the windflap to the other side of the jacket.

The main zipper on the Langlitz is of a larger gauge, and to me that's useful just from having to handle a zipper while wearing motorcycle gloves. I don't find the Aero zippers to be lacking in strength, and a large zipper could look out of place on many of their designs.

In terms of workmanship, both jackets have the occasional wobble, but even with contrast stitching it's the type of thing you'd have to be looking for, and wouldn't otherwise notice. Both are very well made jackets, as they should be at their price point. ($1100 Aero and $1300 Langlitz)

IMG_5085.JPG
IMG_5088.JPG
IMG_5089.JPG

Any specific questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Another fantastic analytical review. I can't think of anything else to say other than thanks so much for taking the time to provide this helpful information. :thumb:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks PAG. I received leather samples from Langlitz this morning. I was surprisingly underwhelmed with their cow hide -- completely flat and lacking character. The goat is definitely the way to go.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's a really good comparison mate. Whilst the Langlutz is very much purpose built for riding, it's very useful to note things like hide weight, craftsmanship, zippers etc. lots of little nuances that make them quite different jackets albeit based on a similar design. Great work, and again, very interesting and informative,

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thanks PAG. I received leather samples from Langlitz this morning. I was surprisingly underwhelmed with their cow hide -- completely flat and lacking character. The goat is definitely the way to go.

I totally agree. To me, Langlitz means goat. When I stray too far from what someone traditionally makes, I ask myself why I'm at a steakhouse if I'm going to order the chicken. (just personal preference, I'm sure that many people get the cowhide and are happy with it)

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Langlitz uses top grain cow hide vs full grain. There may be some wisdom to this for moto jackets. That said, their goat is really good.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
From what I've been told, the Langlitz cow is amazing once broken in. I've met a few guys that swear by it. The medium weight is as heavy/ thick as the Aero 4oz CXL steer.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Langlitz uses top grain cow hide vs full grain. There may be some wisdom to this for moto jackets. That said, their goat is really good.

I would suggest your probably right re the mc leather. From my experience with Langlitz, everything is done for a reason. I think they keep it pretty simple, and operate on a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" policy....they certainly know what they are doing, and it's admirable that they stay focused on the riders market, as opposed to a company like Schott that has veered into fashionista territory, and in my opinion it's at the expense of genuine MC jackets...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
That's about the best comparo of two top tier jackets I've seen in some time. Outstanding, you cover the strengths and features of both very thoroughly. Thanks loads.

Worf

plainsman

Familiar Face
Very informative. Thank you very much for this review. I am thinking my next jacket, most likely in goat, and considering both Langlitz and Aero.

tblay

One of the Regulars
Sorry to throw a defibrillator on this thread, but it's such a great one, and I've sold off all my jackets of late (save one that's still active on eBay and one I'll keep) to get myself down to two. One I'll buy to replace all those I've sold (5) and I'll keep my Aero B3 for extremely cold weather.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide which I'm going to go with for my catch-all replacement. This comparison is immensely helpful because I've narrowed my choices down to three: a JL Cafe Racer, an Aero Sheene or Board Racer in Seal Goat with a biswing back, or a Langlitz Cascade in Dark Brown Goat.

I'm hoping you could answer a couple questions, if you have a moment, pawnie.

Is your Langlitz the dark or light goat?

Which fit type did you choose for the Langlitz (snug, regular, etc.)?

After a year of owning and riding in them, is there one that you prefer, especially for riding?

My Langlitz is in the light brown goatskin. I love it, except for three details: I wish the hide was darker, that I'd not have added the slanted chest pocket, and that I'd added an inch to the front length. In terms of fit, it's neither plastered on nor sloppy and fits really comfortably on the bike. But it looks elephant gray, the slanted chest pocket is way too busy, and the front of the jacket sits way above my true waist, and thus my jeans, making it look (to me) like a women's jacket. It also looks very much like the fitment of the vintage sample photo of the Cascade on the Langlitz site, so I don't think I took the measurement wrong. I think Langlitz and I just disagree about front length. :)

Thanks for any advice you can give. Really fantastic comparison here!

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
The Langlitz is black goat, and I have sold that one off, it was the fit that was never perfect for me. I did have another Langlitz Cascade that fit well and it was the perfect riding jacket. If I was ordering new again from Langlitz I would definitely go for snug, as any of the other fits seem to be really sloppy and oversized to me. I didn't specify, and instead told them what I would layer under it and they way overshot the sizing.

Langlitz definitely likes their jackets short, for riding comfort, so you'd really have to be firm about what type of fit you wanted.

Currently for riding I favor my Vanson jacket, I just like that suit of armor feel.

tblay

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your time with this. I find Langlitz to be great people who make wonderfully customizable jackets, except in fit. They seem really fearful of a slim fit. For instance, their snug is, to me, a little loose. I still may go with them, as their goat is just phenomenal to wear. Again, thanks for the response!

jnovac1

New in Town
yea
Thanks for your time with this. I find Langlitz to be great people who make wonderfully customizable jackets, except in fit. They seem really fearful of a slim fit. For instance, their snug is, to me, a little loose. I still may go with them, as their goat is just phenomenal to wear. Again, thanks for the response!
yeah. i popped in to langlitz wearing my ebay cascade, and learned a bunch during a short visit. i am a retired motorcyclist (bmw) with 100k touring miles. bikes go places. conditions change, sometimes drastically and rapidly. especially when you are hauling a**. inability to layer could render a garment unusable in a few heartbeats. so that explains it. i totally respect their view.

tblay

One of the Regulars
yea

yeah. i popped in to langlitz wearing my ebay cascade, and learned a bunch during a short visit. i am a retired motorcyclist (bmw) with 100k touring miles. bikes go places. conditions change, sometimes drastically and rapidly. especially when you are hauling a**. inability to layer could render a garment unusable in a few heartbeats. so that explains it. i totally respect their view.

I have nothing but respect for everyone on the Langlitz team. And my latest jacket from them nailed every single aspect of the fit. They are definitely wise in terms of making a legitimate, old school (by which I mean no armor/no reflective material, etc.) bike jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112