Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Jerkey Horsehide

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I saw a post here about Arro's Jerkey Horsehide, but I would like to hear from more members with actual hands on experience with this hide.

I am waiting for delivery from Thurston Bro.s of my Aero Stockman with Jerkey Horsehide in Seal. I went with this because I didn't want a real stiff jacket with a long break in period. I also went with the Alpaca lining. This will hopefully be my primary winter jacket. I hope it's durable and tough as I plan to wear it throughout the winter in snow, rain sleet etc..

Thanks

Dave

Damon B

New in Town
I have an aero cafe racer in seal jerky hh, very nice leather, not as stiff as fqhh but plenty thick enough to know u r wearing it! That with the alpaca lining will make for a nice winter jkt, the colours really nice too. Good choice!

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
Had a 50's HB made by AERO in Seal Jerky Brown HH, it was a mid weight hide, easy to wear right from the start, very nice undertones of brown to dark brown, irregular grain and that unforgettable smell !!!
Now i'am waiting for a Pioneer in their Battered Brown Steerhide...
Cheers,
F68

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I don't have experience of the jerky but have read here plenty of times that it feels easier to wear. I used to have a Highwayman with alpaca lining and it was a great choice for warmth. Your choices sound spot on, so you should be pretty happy when you get it.

Windward

Practically Family
I have an aero cafe racer in seal jerky hh, very nice leather, not as stiff as fqhh but plenty thick enough to know u r wearing it! That with the alpaca lining will make for a nice winter jkt, the colours really nice too. Good choice!

I agree - the midweight Horsehide is less stiff compared to Frontquarter Horsehide, it softens quite easily and has a surface from grainy to smooth. With wearing the reddish undertone comes through and develope nice patina - but it takes time. On mine I always missed the waxy feeling which is typical for heavy chrom tanned Horsehide.

For winter jacket with alpaca must be a good choice because it becomes less stiff in the cold since this hide has less oils and waxes during the tanning process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo