Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Classic 60's Bike Trousers Review

Monitor, those are an awesome pair of jeans. There is something about proper leather motorcycle pants that feels very "Engineered" when you wear them. I love the dog leg hip pockets and have a couple of pairs of Lewis Leather pants like that myself. I've also seen this design detail on old leathers from Highwayman, Interstate etc. It makes me wonder if there is any user advantage to this detail or if it is just a neat bit of styling. I've also seen this detailing on the wonderfully named Buckler "Sexy B-----d" denim jeans.

Thank you! But yeah, engineered is precisely a perfect word to describe these 'cause that's exactly how they feel. As I said earlier, with the jackets, I could always think of a few things that I'd change/upgrade but these just become a second skin. I've bought and sold a lot of leather pants recently but none felt quite like this pair.
Lol, dog leg is a cool name for the pocket styling. That's also why I'm happier Aero happened to have these in my size when I asked, rather than the regular jeans type. Something unique about 'em, without detracting from the overall look. As for practicality, TBH I haven't yet managed to even use the pockets as the leather is just too relentless. But I'm getting there...

In the 80's in Britain it wasn't completely unknown to see an "Ordinary guy" wearing leather jeans instead of denim jeans but we had colder winters in those days! By the time I started riding the leather pants gene pool had shrunk to bikers only and now I'm the only rider in my area who I'm aware of who rocks leather pants. I think a lot of riders grudgingly wore them for safety until breathable abrasion resident fabric became widely available.
For a long time I think there was a perception that leather jeans were "Uniform" for rockstars, bikers and gay BDSM practitioners; surely all cool activities but not exactly mainstream.

Same story here. Tho, throughout the years I do seem to recall a few attempts to re-introduce leather trousers into general fashion but so far, without much success and I've no idea why. Talking about men's fashion, of course. "Leather" pants are all the rage with women these days tho it's difficult to comprehend how can anyone refer to it as leather.
But anyway, people wear much more questionable things on a daily basis and nobody seems to mind but leather trousers are such a big deal. I personally can't think of any other material I prefer more than leather for pants (even tho I may not be wearing it as often as I'd like).

I should have thought that if they were selling them as fast as they could make them, they might be making something along those lines. Maybe not a sixties design (Ken's very strict on the 'nothing after 1959' rule), though I believe the plain is for the Godiva label to do sixties stuff. Maybe if there's a big rocker revival... Can't imagine myself wearing leather trousers out and about, but a pair of those with knee and hip pad pockets would be great for anyone riding. Much nicer cut than just making a pair of regular jeans in leather. Actually had a pair of the latter years ago (not Aero, mind!) - found them well cheap somewhere, wore 'em maybe once with a Halloween costume. Didn't much like them, but then I'm not much keen on any kind of trouser other than denim in a jean cut. I do seem to recall thinking they'd be very practical in the rain. Not sure whether I cleared them out yet or if they're hiding in a box somewhere waiting, though given they were a 34" waist which I will never be again....

AFAIK, regular 5 pocket jeans model was selling like crazy in Japan, but not the 60's, no. You can still find a lot of 'em floating around on Japanese websites, some for crazy good money, but judging by the measurements they put up, I'm not sure Aero used the same UK/US pattern for Japan. Japanese size 34 seems to have a 70-something cm waist which is 30 at best.
Anyhow, I guess nowadays not many people still order these and the resale value seems to be lousy, too. Leather pants are very cheap on eBay. Even good ones. But most are really bad...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner