Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Clothing trial update

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Maybe they are on good terms with someone at the GCHQ.

Well, no one here has had the e-mails.
There doesn't seem to be a way for Aero to get AL customers e-mail addresses.
AL hasn't provided a screenshot or screen capture of one of these mails.
So I'm just going to have to believe they are not being truthful. Given the revisionism on their webpage about their connection with WL, they seem to have a problem with telling the truth.
So I think that this is a case of AL slamming Aero publicly to deflect from their bad practice and connections to a convicted criminal.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Well, no one here has had the e-mails.
There doesn't seem to be a way for Aero to get AL customers e-mail addresses.
AL hasn't provided a screenshot or screen capture of one of these mails.
So I'm just going to have to believe they are not being truthful. Given the revisionism on their webpage about their connection with WL, they seem to have a problem with telling the truth.
So I think that this is a case of AL slamming Aero publicly to deflect from their bad practice and connections to a convicted criminal.

Yes, the question about who the brilliant designer is who created all of those patterns from scratch is the one I'd love to see answered, but I'm sure given enough time they will tell us that someone on staff did all of that work. They are clearly deflecting, as they felt a need to make a statement ahead of the sentencing date. They could have used that date as an excuse to keep quiet and devise a strategy, but chose this clumsy route instead.

"clumsy" is a good adjective. They could benefit from a branding make-over, and new jacket styles playing up the Simmons-bilt heritage. Simmons made very cool jackets from the 20s on. Would be great to see some of those styles coming off the line. Aero came through this mess by coming up with fantastic new jacket offerings. The "new" Simmons has an opportunity to do likewise. Get your pencils out designers, it's "Make it work time"!

Last edited:

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Yes, the question about who the brilliant designer is who created all of those patterns from scratch is the one I'd love to see answered, but I'm sure given enough time they will tell us that someone on staff did all of that work. They are clearly deflecting, as they felt a need to make a statement ahead of the sentencing date. They could have used that date as an excuse to keep quiet and devise a strategy, but chose this clumsy route instead.

Doubt we'll ever see that particular question answered by AL and its attorneys as the answer would have to be "The Inimitable Ken Calder."

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, given that AL managed a full rack of new designs from the get-go, I should imagine rustling up a new set should be easy. Or perhaps they'll just manage another modern twist on the donkey jacket...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
"clumsy" is a good adjective. They could benefit from a branding make-over, and new jacket styles playing up the Simmons-bilt heritage. Simmons made very cool jackets from the 20s on. Would be great to see some of those styles coming off the line. Aero came through this mess by coming up with fantastic new jacket offerings. The "new" Simmons has an opportunity to do likewise. Get your pencils out designers, it's "Make it work time"!

They already are doing a 're-branding make over'. That's what all the revisionism and deletions are on their website, and now the name change.
They are erasing any link to Will Lauder, and dumping the Alexander Leathers brand name.
I can only understand them doing this is they think they have been tarnished by the Will Lauder court case. Of course, they say that they have been targeted unfaily by the likes of us, but if it really is 'unfair', then they should have perfectly reasonable explanations to give for everything, and no rebranding would be required.

Instead, under the cover story of being tarred unfairly (and if so, why haven't they already set their lawyer on me, Superfluous, and many others?), they are rebranding.

IMHO they have shot their bolt too soon. Talk about this case and AL (and whatever new name they give themselves) will not even start to die down until after sentencing at the end of the month, so I predict that their premature rebranding policy will leave them with two toxic brand identities. When they realize that, I would expect them to see legal recourse as their only option....but are they willing to risk airing all their dirty laundry (if they have any, which I think they do judging by their website white-washing)?

I think that there will be a lot of huffing and puffing and threats of legal action, and that will be enough to silence the debate. But if anyone was prepared to call their bluff, I reckon they'd go for an out of court settlement in a heart beat.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I think we should start demanding to know who this wonder designer prodigy at AL is!
If I was a customer, an investor, or an outlet, hell, even as a regular customer, wouldn't you want to know?

The fact that they have managed to keep this designers name so secret (after all, which fashion designer doesn't want recognition and adulation?) is a mystery to me?
Doesn't this designer want to build a reputation for themselves? What, is this guy like Batman, doing his good work anonymously, whilst leading a perfectly normal life, unbeknownst by millions?
Who is the Leather Crusader? The Seal Brown Knight?

I repeat, I want to see an interview with this guy and know where he learnt to design, what his philosophy is, and what his inspiration and values are!
Now, I also want to know, why does he shun the limelight befitting such a star, and lead a reclusive life as a man of mystery?

True...and perhaps if they pulled themselves away from such obvious Aero look-a-likes into more their own unique style, that might help get much of the Lauder debacle behind them. LW, Himel, Aero (among others) have maintained their own distinction even while reproducing jackets from vintage style patterns. Add some fresh air of real honesty into the equation and that, too, more than likely, would come across as good advertizing to keep and even gain customers. A 'no brainer'.
HD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I think we should start demanding to know who this wonder designer prodigy at AL is!
If I was a customer, an investor, or an outlet, hell, even as a regular customer, wouldn't you want to know?

The fact that they have managed to keep this designers name so secret (after all, which fashion designer doesn't want recognition and adulation?) is a mystery to me?
Doesn't this designer want to build a reputation for themselves? What, is this guy like Batman, doing his good work anonymously, whilst leading a perfectly normal life, unbeknownst by millions?
Who is the Leather Crusader? The Seal Brown Knight?

I repeat, I want to see an interview with this guy and know where he learnt to design, what his philosophy is, and what his inspiration and values are!
Now, I also want to know, why does he shun the limelight befitting such a star, and lead a reclusive life as a man of mystery?

lol

As far as investing new designs, I seem to recall there were any number of abortive attempts. Remember these?

I can only imagine that whoever did those initial designs must have either left or received a blow to the head and forgot all they knew about jacket design...

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
True...and perhaps if they pulled themselves away from such obvious Aero look-a-likes into more their own unique style, that might help get much of the Lauder debacle behind them. LW, Himel, Aero (among others) have maintained their own distinction even while reproducing jackets from vintage style patterns. Add some fresh air of real honesty into the equation and that, too, more than likely, would come across as good advertizing to keep and even gain customers. A 'no brainer'.
HD

Great point HD. When you look at the companies you named above, while there is some overlap, they each have a distinct identity. AL never forged their own. Maybe it's time to start. The difficulty is that Ken has been so busy cranking out new jackets lately that AL may have been painted into a corner.

Great point HD. When you look at the companies you named above, while there is some overlap, they each have a distinct identity. AL never forged their own. Maybe it's time to start. The difficulty is that Ken has been so busy cranking out new jackets lately that AL may have been painted into a corner.

Well..one thing about Ken Calder that I learned over a decade ago was he is certainly no dummy and has very good business sense. He hunkered down and figured out how to rescue the mess that he was recently left with. Perhaps another good example for AL to intelligently aspire to.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

A very good point. Think also of Eastman, Norshore, Pegasus, and, yes, BK.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
If AL relaunch, after the sentencing, as Simmons Bilt and can come up with their own designs, their own thing - well who knows? There is room for other makers but they all have their own distinct identities. Himel certainly, Goodwear have an unassailable niche, I really like the BK Heracles. However, from those pictures that Sloan posted, it will be an uphill struggle. The first one has the look of Leatherface about it. But, that Fortune Hunter looked very nice.
I wonder why those Cabourn jackets were in such limited numbers?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If AL relaunch, after the sentencing, as Simmons Bilt and can come up with their own designs, their own thing - well who knows? There is room for other makers but they all have their own distinct identities. Himel certainly, Goodwear have an unassailable niche, I really like the BK Heracles. However, from those pictures that Sloan posted, it will be an uphill struggle. The first one has the look of Leatherface about it. But, that Fortune Hunter looked very nice.
I wonder why those Cabourn jackets were in such limited numbers?

Because they'd be hard-pressed to sell even a handful of the monstrosities?

the loco

One of the Regulars
The Roadster and Halfbelt have been inspired or pirated from the Aero Highwayman and 50's Halfbelt. I'm not sure about the other designs. The Detroit, Cafe Racer are somewhat different from the Bootlegger and Aero Cafe Racer. Then there are designs that Aero doesn't make like the Peacoat (which looks like Lost Worlds), the GT jackets that I think its a standardized design too from somewhere else and the leather blazer.

I think that we should hear what both parties have so say. While it's hard to believe Will is only machinist at Alexander, the statement they are making seems reasonable to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points