Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Custom Order Help

johnny4strings

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I want to say beforehand that in my time of searching the boards I have learned much about Aero. So much that I am ready for my first one! Aero seems like a good company, and their work shouts quality. The recent shake up has me a little timid, but I can handle that, I suppose.
Onto the me and the coat situation:

I currently stand at 5'11", I wear a 15.5 34/35 shirt, 42" chest, 38" waist, and 42" hips in the most clothes Id wear under it. I want something slim/tailored fitting but was told by Holly that Id be a "standard 42". Ive read here that Aero's sizes are a bit generous-so I'm a little confused. Think Id like the 40" perhaps?

I'm looking at the cafe racer, medium FQHH with the Alpaca lining-with maybe a little extra length depending on how long they are.

I took the liberty to email Aero and not much was asked of me as far asmy stats-just my height, chest, waist, and hips measurements.

I am asking for the forum's help with a custom order, because I emailed Aero (Holly) who told me just to "add it to the cart" with no other instruction-where you cannot do any customization whatsoever. Is there anything special that I should do to get a custom order? I asked her if there was a catalog or a special order form I should use-to which she responded no.

I hate to say it but if I'm going to drop that kind of coin and I cant get a custom coat, I'll likely go somewhere else.
I keep seeing all the different amazing incantations that members of this forum have built and I believe it can be done-but I don't know how to go about ordering.

This rookie can DEFINITELY use help.
Thanks!
John

JLStorm

Practically Family
It seems as though Aero is shying away from custom work, as it doesnt fit their business model. I have 2 one-off jackets from Aero that were little to no charge above stock to buy, but those days have since passed. I cannot comment on whether they will do minor customization like you ask, but I'm sure someone else on here can.

The good news is there are several other vendors who will. A few of whom are in the US where your dollar will go a lot farther. Anyway, my intention is not to talk you out of Aero, I love my Aero's. Just don't settle for anything other than what you want, otherwise, youll just want another jacket to fill the gaps.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I agree w JLStorm that there are many alternatives to Aero here in the US (John Chapman/Goodwear, Johnson Leathers, etc.) but if you have your heart set on an Aero, I would suggest you buy it through Insurrection in Seattle. I have purchased a few jackets from them over the years and they know what they are doing. And because Insurrection is buying a set number of jackets from Aero per month, they have far more leverage with Aero than you or I (and because Insurrection needs to sell all those jackets that they have committed to buy from Aero, they are motivated to help customers - you know, that enlightened self-interest thing; capitalism, what a concept).

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
There used to be a box which appeared when you ordered where you could put special instructions. I think it's still there. I hope so anyway as I'm ordering a HB very soon and I want an extra inch or so of length.

I think they are just trying to keep things simple at the moment as they have such a backlog of orders due to the current dollar exchange rate, and then the Aero USA mess, plus the mis-sold HH one both in the same year. I can't imagine a simple adjustment in body or sleeve length is a problem though.

It's the mishmash of styles which are more difficult to make, can result in odd looking jackets, and which if returned due to fit issues have to be discounted that they are trying to avoid I think.

They will always accept returns and make a new jacket if it doesn't fit properly. I've had to send one back under the old regime when Amanda persuaded me against my better judgment to size up.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero are still doing custom work, I know of at least one FL-er who's having, I think, a Barnstormer made fitted with Stockman sleeves. I suspect it's where the design work is so radical that it obliterates the original design - from a branding point of view this makes sense: why produce jackets with your label on them, that you yourself don't like? - but I doubt erasing or adding a pocket, and adding a few inches is off the table.

*Edit* I think the short emails are just Holly's effort to get through as many as possible in the day rather than intentionally curt or off-hand. I've seen the welter that she gets (by the hour) first hand, and personally I'd be giving just one or two word replies!

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Regarding the fit of the cafe racer, it is slim fit by design I think. So Holly's advice to in effect stick to you suit size seems sound to me. You should still be able to adjust the sleeve and body lengths.

I expect you have been getting fairly terse emails which might not give the whole picture. They are running a few days behind on them too, when in simpler times you would get a reply in hours. I spoke to Mrs Calder the other day and I think it's very hectic with the backlog and things. Plus what they are finding now they are back in control.

Edward

Bartender
Aero are still doing custom work, I know of at least one FL-er who's having, I think, a Barnstormer made fitted with Stockman sleeves. I suspect it's where the design work is so radical that it obliterates the original design - from a branding point of view this makes sense: why produce jackets with your label on them, that you yourself don't like? - but I doubt erasing or adding a pocket, and adding a few inches is off the table.

That's the impression I had from Holly's posts on here. I do think they're keen to move to a more stock approach where they can - much easier on production etc. I imagine a well trained machinist can turn out a dozen Highwaymen in the time it might take to produce half that number with a whole heap of additional variations. I'd like to hope they'll offer some level of customisation in future. Most of my jackets are stock, but my Bootlegger I did add a throat latch, two internal G1 style pockets, and button cuffs. I'd be happy with those sort of little bits and pieces, myself. I imagine mostly what they are trying to discourage is people ordering a Highwayman with a cafe-racer style neat fit - a cut the jacket was never designed to have.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Our stats are similar except I am 2-3 inches taller than you and wear a 16 X 36-37 shirt. I see no reason why you would be anything other than a standard 42. In my case, I must have a couple of inches added to the sleeves. Rather than alpaca wool, you might want to pay a bit more and go with a tartan instead and maybe an inside vertical pocket or two, and should be able to do that under the "remarks" section. If not, just e-mail Holly or Christine, referencing your order number

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"I imagine mostly what they are trying to discourage is people ordering a Highwayman with a cafe-racer style neat fit - a cut the jacket was never designed to have."

Exactly! :D

johnny4strings

New in Town
Thanks to all who replied!!!
I certainly do not want to worsen a situation that I can imagine is "hectic".
Holly has been responsive, and I can imagine I'd be the same way if it were I in the same boat.
I'm going to see whats up with the ordering from Aero direct. I'll try your suggestions and seek out insurrection should Aero direct not be able to help.
In regards to the Alpaca, I do like the feel of a "wool", however is it the most "durable" lining? I think those tartans are amazing, and I have seen the Locharron of Scotland selection.
I'm just not too sure how well they will hold up after the years. Like many of you, Id like to keep my jacket for some time to come, and I don't want piling, premature wear or holes. Plus there is the weather factor; I live in Washington DC and we have decently cold weather. I don't ride, so this will be a "walking around town jacket", for use Oct-March in 30-50 degree weather.
Thanks again for helping a rookie out and for making me feel at home!
John

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am told that the tartan is a strong fabric that holds up well. I have heard reports from some on the FL that the alpaca is itchy and others say not. I have read reports here that says that the alpaca does not hold up well. A corduroy lining might be the most durable of all. You can also layer with a heavy Filson wool vest which I do with my Highwayman lined with cotton drill. You are fortunate in that you should be able to wear a stock 42 size. You might find something on the Aero sale pages.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Alpaca is itchy. Tartans are not. Nothing objective in that opinion...

I was in DC 1995-98, and there was a "big snow storm", 96 I think. The locals got upset with the cold and a bit of snow (I got upset July & August with the heat...). Anyway, for myself, I would never consider Alpaca there, it's just not needed, other linings get you easier through the colder months. In that climate I'd go with cotton drill for practical purposes, layer if needed. Alpaca is for 1-2 months a year there. And also, if you like leaving your jacket on the chair at a restaurant, and getting admiring comments, get a nice tartan :) I'd do that...

persnick

Banned
What are good alternatives to Aero leather in the US or Canada?

I really like that reddish brown leather colour that the Aero jackets seem to have...is that doable by other companies or particular to Aero?

Doublegun

Practically Family
When I ordered my Cafe (through Amanda back in August) she suggested I order the same size as my suit coat instead of one size down.

Edward

Bartender
When I ordered my Cafe (through Amanda back in August) she suggested I order the same size as my suit coat instead of one size down.

I'm inclined to the view that for a lot of folks it would be a big mistake to go one size down. I vary between a 42 and a 44 in suits, depending upon cut, and I'm the same in an Aero. I fit into a 42 30s halfbelt with only a shirt under it (all I want to wear under it, I don't care to layer under one of those, and I don't think it a sensible choice of a jacket for colder weather however sized / lined anyhow), but in some designs (most notably the basic Perfecto style MC jacket, which is a couple of inches neater in the waist than the Thirties halfbelt), I'd have to go up to a 44. Could probably get away with a 44 in the 30s as well, but the 42 is just on the right side of neatest I can wear.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Leather jackets, we'll say aren't as efficient at keeping you warm like a modern down jacket or the likes. Your going for the style or cool factor therefore my vote is the tartans.
I had cotton drill in my first highwayman and wear holes developed after about the first year of not very hard wear. So far the dense weave of the tartan on my second highwayman shows no signs (albeit not as much use). I do think the tighter weave will hold up better over time, looks much nicer and is a bit warmer, though I still layer when the temps dip sub freezing.

johnny4strings

New in Town
Thanks again for the help!
After some deliberation, I think I'm going to go for one of the tartans, most likely in a medium weight or a heavy weight. Finding a clan which suits me is going to keep me busy for the next few weeks or possibly longer :)

For ease of getting the jacket on and off, Ill probably go for a neutral colored drill or even a satin in the sleves, provided its long wearing. I'm going to email Holly to see what the lengths are of the 42 cafe racers before I ask for more length. This is coming together nicely, and what id it for me was the "placing the jacket over the chair in the restaurant" comment. That kind of thing would really get my attention, too.

Thanks for all the help with the suggestions, as soon as I take delivery, I will post some pictures.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24