Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Lining Situation

maikeru81

New in Town
Looking for some advise. I purchased an Original Hercules in Badallassi Leather from Thurston Bros. and received it in Nov. 2021. This is the nicest jacket I have ever had. live in a subtropical climate and only get to wear it about 4 months a year, and that is pushing it. I just noticed notices that the thread seam m on the bottom of the lining is coming loose and a hole has worn through the lining right above. For the quality of this jacket that seems very quick .Please see the attached photos. I love the jacket. I just don't know what to do. Thanks for any suggestions. The
IMG_2382.jpeg
IMG_2383.jpeg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Looks rough yeah. I'd contact Thurston or Aero. But that's a good example why I will go for a kidney panel for liner protection when I finally order a jacket from Aero or SB. Seems like the liner wears out much more quickly at the hem than anywhere else.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, seems pretty quick, not even a year and a half. I would question the lining fabric quality. I know, friction and all that, yet we have 60 year old jackets with linings in better shape. Contact Thurston, they are good, maybe they come up with a solution, like sending you a hundred bucks towards a professional repair job.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks like cotton drill. FWIW, Aero has one of the thickest cotton drills out there. But in this case I don't think thick is necessary the best thing for wear and tear. I bet my thinner nylon rip-stop liner will outlast any thicker cotton drill, but it doesn't have the old world charm.

Just keep wearing it until it's unwearable with frays, and then get a reline job, with thinner rip-stop type fabric. The leather strip is good in theory but in reality it just adds more stiff and bulk around the waist. Good for motorcycle jackets but regular jackets no.

I also wouldn't worry about busted top stitch. It happens. Just push it back in with a needle. It's actually the blind stitch underneath that is holding the seams together. The topstitch is more for show than actual weight bearing. Schott just skips a lot of the top stitching all together and their jackets are solid.

Robson

Familiar Face
With my highwayman I had a simular problem with the cotton drill, it it was completely worn at the waist edge (2 years old). I got in touch with Aero about the problem and the put in a corduroy strip, its good now. (last pictute is now 5years after repair )
DSC03723.JPG
DSC03718.JPG
IMG_20230209_192537689.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've owned six Aero jackets with the full spectrum of linings (cotton, wool, heavy wool and rayon) for more than a decade, and, tbh, I've never had any or tear like this. I'd get in touch with Aero, I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

maikeru81

New in Town
I've owned six Aero jackets with the full spectrum of linings (cotton, wool, heavy wool and rayon) for more than a decade, and, tbh, I've never had any or tear like this. I'd get in touch with Aero, I'm sure they'll be able to help you.
With my highwayman I had a simular problem with the cotton drill, it it was completely worn at the waist edge (2 years old). I got in touch with Aero about the problem and the put in a corduroy strip, its good now. (last pictute is now 5years after repair ) View attachment 488173 View attachment 488174 View attachment 488178
With my highwayman I had a simular problem with the cotton drill, it it was completely worn at the waist edge (2 years old). I got in touch with Aero about the problem and the put in a corduroy strip, its good now. (last pictute is now 5years after repair ) View attachment 488173 View attachment 488174 View attachment 488178
Thanks for sharing pics and your suggestion. I feel a little better now. I will contact Aero and see their reply.

jglf

A-List Customer
I understand the fraying on the bottom hem, but that hole a few inches up is unusual. Do you conceal carry or wear your phone on your belt?

maikeru81

New in Town
I live in Japan, so no concealed carry and don't wear a phone on my belt. The hole is right underneath the seam on the right side where it meets the seam a couple of inches above the bottom hem. I also included a pic with my finger pointed at the outside of the jacket over the hole in the lining. There is no wear in the lining on the other side.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The best solution is good old fashion, Leather. The second choice is corduroy. I will put a nice flight jacket nylon fabric as the third choice. Simple solutions. You can even do it yourself. The previous leather holes are there. For joining the fabrics, I even would use a nylon strap to join them together for a much long wear. It looks professional also. Just do it. Not that hard at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ