Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Vintage horsehide

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Hi All,
I could do with a bit of advice from Aero jacket owners please.

I've had several FQHH jackets from Aero but always ended up selling them on as they were too heavy and very inflexible when cold. I also found them cold in winter. Maybe due to the wax in the hide conducting the cold too efficiently.

I want to order a Trailrider in the brown vintage horsehide. Put a pocket like on a B-2 flight jacket on it, tapered plain cuffs, no internal fuffs and possibley lined in cotton like an A-2. (I'm trying to get a jacket that is wearable for more of the year).

First thing is has anyone got a Trailrider ? And if so, what do you think of it and can you post some photos please of one that has been worn ?

Secondly, what are opinions of the vintage horsehide ? From the sample Amanda sent me it look sgreat and a lot lighter than the FQHH ?

Cheers,

Dave

Here's a pic of my HalfBelt in Brown Vintage Horsehide. Mine is almost as heavy as the normal FQHH...but much more grainy..not as shiny...and softer right out of the box. Much more comfortable to wear.
I don't own a TrailRider...but be aware that they tend to be a shorter jacket than the normal HalfBelt or Highwayman...unless length is added by request.
HD

100_0412.jpg

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Ta !

Thanks for that info' HD. I like the look of your jacket and the slanted top pocket.

I'll have to have a word with Amanda about length but as I'm only 5'9 I may not need to change much.

Dave

ins0ma

New in Town
I have a black Highwayman in "vintage" HH, and the leather is very comfortable to wear. I've even slept in it on a couple flights recently. I don't have any HH without the vintage treatment to compare it to, but judging from a lot of the posts here about the regular HH, its a lot softer, not at all stiff or uncomfortable to wear. In fact if you look you'll probably find photos people have sent in of their jackets standing upright on the floor. . . mine doesn't do that, I just tried and it collapses immediately onto itself.

For my part I'm glad I ordered the vintage treatment. The leather on my jacket isn't so stiff or coarse that its uncomfortable, but still feels amazingly thick and substantial, and already its breaking in and developing more character every time I wear it. Mine is lined with tartan wool, and so far when I've worn it in the cold I was surprised how warm and weatherproof it seemed.

I am having some issues with the cinch straps, but I discuss that in another thread already. . .

JanSolo

Practically Family
I have to agree with HoosierDaddy. Vintage FQ HH is not lighter in weight than standard FQ HH but it's considerably more flexible right out of the box and molds itself better to the body. As you already pointed out correctly, due to the high wax content of FQ HH it gets very stiff in cold weather conditions. And because of the heavy weight/ high density of the hide, insulation is basically crap. However the Vintage HH Cafe Racer I used to have was also very comfortable to wear in cold weather conditions as it didn't get stiff. But I think it's fair to say that most thicker cloth jackets are warmer than an Aero with cotton drill lining, therefore you should opt for a warmer body lining, i.e. Alpaca, Harris or Donegal tweed, or a blanket lining if you want your Aero to be really warm. Always choose a lining that will hold up against your choice of leather in terms of longevity. FQ HH is too thick and too heavy for the thin mustard A-2 lining, you should really consider the thicker and more durable cotton drill. Just my 2cents...

Here's a picture of me wearing a brandnew modified ANJ-3 in vintage brown FQ HH. As you can see the leather is less shiny than the standard brown FQ and wears like a much thinner leather because of the better pliability.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2966052551_f7421213c5.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2966061669_b44391f9b4.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2966906008_aae0065f52.jpg?v=0

Cheers,

Jan

Adam in Canada

New in Town
ins0ma said:
I have a black Highwayman in "vintage" HH, and the leather is very comfortable to wear. I've even slept in it on a couple flights recently. I don't have any HH without the vintage treatment to compare it to, but judging from a lot of the posts here about the regular HH, its a lot softer, not at all stiff or uncomfortable to wear. In fact if you look you'll probably find photos people have sent in of their jackets standing upright on the floor. . . mine doesn't do that, I just tried and it collapses immediately onto itself.

For my part I'm glad I ordered the vintage treatment. The leather on my jacket isn't so stiff or coarse that its uncomfortable, but still feels amazingly thick and substantial, and already its breaking in and developing more character every time I wear it. Mine is lined with tartan wool, and so far when I've worn it in the cold I was surprised how warm and weatherproof it seemed.

I am having some issues with the cinch straps, but I discuss that in another thread already. . .

Would you kindly post some photos, including some detail photos of the leather? I'm about to pull the trigger on an Aero in this hide and I'm curious how it looks.

Thanks much,

Adam

tonypaj

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:
Thanks for that info' HD. I like the look of your jacket and the slanted top pocket.

I'll have to have a word with Amanda about length but as I'm only 5'9 I may not need to change much.

Dave

Well Dudders,

Seems that you've gotten a couple of inches taller since I last saw you :) Did you get your jacket or still hesitating? I ordered a LHB in vintage cordovan, should get here before mid December. The wait is a bother, but it is always interesting seeing what the end result is. And btw, thank you, you were the one that first let me know about Aero products... And another btw, Pierrette says hi, she's these days my personal assistant full time, how about them apples...

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Hi Payj

:)
Hi J,
A true survivor ! If my introducing you to aero was the only good thing to come of our working together, then it was worth it after all :p

Haven't ordered the jacket yet. The waiting list would mean I won't get it until after Christmas. I think that the falling pound has meant that a lot of orders are flooding in from overseas - particularly the States. Oh, I also bought an RMNZ B-3 from John Lever too so watching pennies for a few weeks and keeping head below parapet vis-a-vis missus. I know you can empathise on that one !

Please say a big 'Hi' to Pierrette (sigh). Lovely girl, just lovely. I've come over all nostalgic:cry:

One of these days I'll be back for a visit. The first beer is my shout.

Take care buddy,

Dudders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24