Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Zippers

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
When I googled "defective Talon zippers" I found this URL. If AL had a bad batch of Talon zippers, I wonder if the bad batch might be counterfeit? That question would require AL to communicate directly with Talon to see if that might be the problem. [huh]

http://www.talonzippers.com/corporate/counterfeit/

I don't have all the info, all i know is that the guys at AL got in touch with Talon after experiencing a very high number of failures.
They were apparently told by Talon that it was a "user issue" and that there was nothing wrong with their zipper.

AL were stuck with i think a couple hundred zippers that they decided not to use, because it's just not worth their time replacing them, and decided to stop offering them, since Talon didn't stand behind their poducts.

They are now offering RIRI zippers, and are experiencing with a vintage style YKK

Thats all the info i got.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't know how companies purchase zips, whether it's direct from manufacturer or if there are third parties, but it sounds to me, at any rate, that Talon weren't convinced that they were their own. The expression "User issue" smacks of 'caveat emptor'. [huh]

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, I'm confused by the "user issue" too. A couple of thousand zippers with a high failure rate is a serious QC problem and would think that a Talon representative would be taking a careful look at that specific inventory. I am unaware of other leather companies (Aero, Goodwear, etc.) that have discontinued use of high end Talon zippers for this reason.

Cocker

Practically Family
Guys, thanks for the informations! I think I'd go with a regukar zipper when time will come, as I don't want to be bothered by a zipper! ^^

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here's a dual-marked Talon & Hookless zipper with closed end as used on a pair of "redskin" USAC A-3 sheepskin trousers from a 1938 contract award. 1938 was the first year that the lacquered core seal was applied to USAC sheepskin garments, which previously were left in a natural, unfinished exterior of off-white suede. These dual-marked zippers could have existed in USAC stocks for a period after they were no longer produced by Talon, but I wouldn't think for too long.

I have a copy of USAC correspondence dated 1940, where the Talon grommeted-base zipper is being requested for a jacket contract and the internal reply states that that specific zipper style was no longer being produced by the manufacturer; apparently, none were also still left in USAC stocks at that time.

a3_redskin_zip1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It wouldn't surprise me for old production ones to hang around for a while. I've found models of zippers in garments made 15 years after a version of zipper was discontinued. The same is true for union labels. That dual-marked hookless Talon would have been about seven years old by the time it was installed. It's unusual to find something like that, but not at all unheard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw