Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leathers - International pricing?

ckramer

New in Town
I looked in a Jack and Jones store today at the mall here in Logroño. A shirt was listed at 29.95€ and 30£ (they had put the price for every country they sell to on the tag). Just crazy. So yes just more proof that slimy companies will in fact carry the number over. If only Aero did that...

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
If you order from outside the EU by phone, email or the post, then VAT is applicable. If you live outside the EU but order and pick the jacket up in person, and it is for personal use, then VAT can be reclaimed. These are the taxman's rules, not the company's.

SuinBruin

New in Town
If you order from outside the EU by phone, email or the post, then VAT is applicable. If you live outside the EU but order and pick the jacket up in person, and it is for personal use, then VAT can be reclaimed. These are the taxman's rules, not the company's.
That is 100% false. Non-EU sales are not chargeable with VAT irrespective of how they are placed or delivered.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
You are right. I just checked with the U.K. customs.
I was flat out lied to when attempting to place an internet order for a jacket from the U.K.

Edward

Bartender
Whomever told you that may well have been rong, though to be fair it's entirely plausible they were misinformed rather than dishonest. Either way, UK VAT sits at 20% these days; I can certainly understand anyone wanting to avoid paying that.

samo

One of the Regulars
If You buy Aero and You are the citizen of EU but not citizen of UK, You have to pay VAT in UK. But If You are not from EU things become more complicated. I think that in such case You have to pay VAT only in Your country. It worked just fine with our neighbor EU countries till we did not become part of EU. Nevertheless, always when I bought something from US I paid VAT + some customs and I guess I paid VAT twice?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
If You buy Aero and You are the citizen of EU but not citizen of UK, You have to pay VAT in UK. But If You are not from EU things become more complicated. I think that in such case You have to pay VAT only in Your country. It worked just fine with our neighbor EU countries till we did not become part of EU. Nevertheless, when I bought something from US I always have to pay VAT + some customs and I guess I paid VAT twice?

Regarding buying from the US, it all depends on whether you are charged sales tax over there. I can't recall the specific legislation's title, but back in the mid nineties, Congress passed a law exempting online sales from sales tax (at least for out of state buyers), the idea being to stimulate the then emerging online economy. I've got no idea whether this was rescinded later on, though. If it was, then it would depend on whether the US has a specific ruling on sales taxes on sales to those outside the US (I think that would be a Federal rather than a State level issue, though if memory serves the levle at which sales tax is set is a State decision?). I'm sure there's someone on here can clarify that.

Depending on where you are in the EU, though, your local rate of VAT (here in the UK it's 20%) will be much more of a gouge; coupling that with the additional shipping costs can make US purchases via mail rather uneconomic, alas.

tonypaj

Practically Family
If You buy Aero and You are the citizen of EU but not citizen of UK, You have to pay VAT in UK. But If You are not from EU things become more complicated. I think that in such case You have to pay VAT only in Your country. It worked just fine with our neighbor EU countries till we did not become part of EU. Nevertheless, when I bought something from US I always have to pay VAT + some customs and I guess I paid VAT twice?

If you are outside the EU, and you buy from the EU, you will pay VAT, or other similar taxes together with customs duties, if applicable in your country, based on the invoiced price. The invoiced price is agreed between you and the company selling the goods. I'll leave it at that.

GuyLdeB

New in Town
I got some clothes online from oi polloi and end clothing, both UK based companies, and I bought them using an English visa card and got them posted to Australia and they knocked off the VAT automatically. In fact the VAT-free outside the EU price is listed when you view the item. They had free postage as well by 3 day courier so it ended up cheaper than buying them
in the UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy