Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather's P. Goldsmith AC 31-1897 (The First Type A-2)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I guess the A2 pattern with snaps was maybe cheaper and faster to put together. It's a very nice jacket - that steer looks great - but, historical interest aside, it's not sufficiently different from an A2 for me to get excited. If I wanted something less obvious with knits I would choose an A1.

Technonut

Practically Family
This project gets more interesting around every curve.. While researching, I came-across an early 1930's photo of 'Hap' Arnold and Bebe Daniels. To the left is an (assumed) officer wearing a button pocket-flap leather flight jacket. The dating was narrowed-down to the fall of 1932, which makes it quite likely that the jacket is indeed a Goldsmith. :) (Edit: Ken noticed what appears to be double-stitching around the pocket which would help substantiate this, but as with the entire project, most of this is 'educated speculation'... based on photos, research, and timelines.. ;) )

Most importantly, the photo shows the side, and partial back of the jacket for the 1st time, and eliminates the possibility of the back being constructed of 2 pieces, like the A-1. It also gives credence to the possibility of the jacket incorporating rotated sleeves, as previously thought by a couple of participating forum members (based on the other photos).

As usual, Ken is on the case, and will be busy actually cutting mock-ups to try and solve the mystery since this photo came to light... ;) The first Goldsmith's are scheduled to be cut mid-October, so thankfully, there is still time for refinement. :)

Arnold,-HH_Bebe-Daniels1.jpg

Arnold,-HH_Bebe-Daniels.jpg

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks for that pic Technonut, I was wondering exactly what was meant by rotated sleeves. My A-2 is sitting next to me laying on a chair so I can see clearly what is being discussed.
Looks rotated to me when comparing to mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112