Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero lining suggestions.

Looking for suggestions for a comfortable "spring/mild summer" lining for an upcoming Aero Cossack jacket order.
Debating between the "alpaca" lining, the cotton twill, cotton tartan and gabardine B10.

I'm one of those folks with sensitive skin...can't wear many wool sweaters.
Appreciate recommendations.

The Man at C&A

New in Town
It depends how much you feel the cold, but I find the alpaca (in a halfbelt) too much between mid spring and the onset of autumn. My Cheyenne on the otherhand, which I intended as a winter coat, has a cotton tartan lining and I need a sweater under it.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have a FQHH LHB with the Common Ridding wool lining and the ONLY thing I would change is the lining. I would go with the cotton twill. It's easy to throw on another layer to keep warm.

JanSolo

Practically Family
You will find that Alpaca really might be too warm for Spring or Summer. Alpaca fleece is also notably thicker than cotton or tartans which gives you less room for layering. From my point of view cotton drill or olive Gabardine is the way to go if you are not looking for a specific cold weather jacket. Gabardine is of similar longevity when compared to cotton drill but a much finer and denser weave which in return leads to a very soft and almost shiny surface. In direct comparison cotton drill has a much coarser surface which also tends to grip your clothing. Cotton drill is along with Gabardine the most durable lining material Aero offers. Drill is available in quite a number of colours: Black, brown, brick red, cherry red, bottle green and navy if I remember correctly. Whereas Gabardine is only available in olive drab as it's original purpose was to be used as the B10 jacket outer shell.

Hope that helps.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Jan (or anyone else),

Can Aero replace the lining in a jacket? If so, I may send mine back this summer and have it re-lined. Would there be any downside to that?

Thanks,

JDG

JanSolo

Practically Family
Doublegun, Aero surely offers this service and the finished jacket will not show that the lining has been replaced. The machinists use the original stitching holes when the jacket is relined. A full reline is not overly expensive although I can't give you an exact figure (maybe somebody else can?). The only downside is that you may have to wait a couple of weeks (up to a couple of months) to receive your jacket.

Why not ask Aero to accept your jacket as a trade-in and buy a new one? Normally they offer a very good deal on good condition pre-owned jackets...

Doublegun

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
Why not ask Aero to accept your jacket as a trade-in and buy a new one? Normally they offer a very good deal on good condition pre-owned jackets...

I had not thought about that but my initial thought is that I have spent a lot of time in my jacket over the past 8-months and it is finally starting to feel broken in. I really don't want to have to start over again, but....

Thanks

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
The alpaca will be vastly too warm for Spring or Summer, especially if you're in Hawaii. Alpaca is awesome in winter (in places where we have winter), but you want nothing to do with it in warm weather. I'd stick with one of the cotton options, or you'll never wear it.

Splitcoil said:
The alpaca will be vastly too warm for Spring or Summer, especially if you're in Hawaii. Alpaca is awesome in winter (in places where we have winter), but you want nothing to do with it in warm weather. I'd stick with one of the cotton options, or you'll never wear it.

Actually spend a lot of time on the mainland. Plan to move there soon...so thinking ahead to future jackets. ;)

Doublegun

Practically Family
Amanda is back from holiday and I found out it 80 pounts to have a jacket relined and will take approximatly 8-weeks to complete. Now to figure out which lining I want to proceed with: cotton twill or gabardine. I am leaning toward bottle green or brown twill.

Something to consider before you order: chances are you are really going to fall in love with your Aero and you are not going to want to put it away for a season (i.e. summer). I suggest you plan accordingly so you can get the most use out of it. As I said in a previous post, it's easy to add a layer for insulation IF you are worried about getting cold.

My LHB is headed back to Scotland around June 1st and I am already looking forward to getting it back.

Cheers

Nizdar

New in Town
Doublegun said:
Amanda is back from holiday and I found out it 80 pounts to have a jacket relined and will take approximatly 8-weeks to complete. Now to figure out which lining I want to proceed with: cotton twill or gabardine. I am leaning toward bottle green or brown twill.

Something to consider before you order: chances are you are really going to fall in love with your Aero and you are not going to want to put it away for a season (i.e. summer). I suggest you plan accordingly so you can get the most use out of it. As I said in a previous post, it's easy to add a layer for insulation IF you are worried about getting cold.

My LHB is headed back to Scotland around June 1st and I am already looking forward to getting it back.

Cheers

While the low insulation idea makes some sense, I think it depends where you live in some part. Here in New York City, FQHH is basically useless in the summer, regardless of insulation. We're already getting some daytime weather that is almost too warm for jackets, and FQHH with a cotton liner is still going to be warmer than a really light jacket.

I've found that my FQHH black highwayman with wool lining is good up to 60-65 depending on sun and wind conditions. If it were lined with cotton it might make 65 more comfortable, and stretch out to, say, 70. With the wool, I can wear the jacket over a t-shirt down to 25-30 degrees depending on how long I am going to be outside. A cotton zip up sweatshirt layer makes it fine for as cold as it gets around here.

If you are ok with having to layer more than I do (I prefer to avoid it if I can) than I suppose a cotton lining works. It is also more durable than wool or alpaca, so that's a plus. But if I could change now, I think I keep the wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL