Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Lining: Which Most Durable?

Powerband

Practically Family
The tartans are very stunning, but for durability I think I’ll choose Cotten drills for body and cotton sateen for arms.

Poul

Familiar Face
Guys can you tell me where to buy cotton drill fabric? Is there some quality online store

avique

One of the Regulars
I have a strome weight tartan in my Hudson and after almost four years of daily wear it still looks new. Seems to be very durable while still adding some color/style.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Guys can you tell me where to buy cotton drill fabric? Is there some quality online store

Do a google search there are plenty of suppliers. First you need the right thickness. I think Aero use a 8 oz drill but you would need to check. It it's too thick it's unwearable. The big question is getting a drill that is going to resist wear. Not all cotton drills wear well. I've had some that tore in the folds in the first 1-2 years. You might contact Johnson Leathers to find out where they get theirs so you know its the right stuff.

Poul

Familiar Face
Thank you Seb yeah uncle Google it is mine knowledge better to send email to Aero who knows maybe they have 1.5 metre length

Poul

Familiar Face
Btw Aero or SB whether or uses tartan from locharon is this correct ? They have tartan wool lightening fabric

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
In general, cotton is very strong. I have cotton garments they are between 7 and 8 decades old that I still wear and wash (oh the horror). Granted, most of these garments were purchased in very good to mint condition a decade or so ago. So they haven’t been worn and laundered for 70 to 80 years, but it’s still a testament to how durable cotton in, I think.

- Ian

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Cotton drill. I've had it in several Aero jackets. It is very durable but not very warm. When I wore it on the motorcycle the wind chill ( on a chilly day ) seemed to find it's way through the more open weave lining fabric. So..not for me. I moved them on. I have alpaca in my Aero jackets now which is more suitable for Indiana weather IMO. It is not near as durable..but then I'm not very hard on linings. None of my alpaca linings are worn at all. Even my first Aero Highwayman lining purchased in 2001 is unblemished. However some here have posted linings with rubbed holes even with the cotton drill.
HD
From a fellow midwesterner, at what temp do you find the alpaca too warm? I’m considering it for a 1/2 belt, but am concerned about limiting it’s useful range. It seems maybe better to go cotton and layer.?.

I had one with Alpaca, and it was fine up to 55f. I did notice that it kept me cozy in Seattle when the temps were closer to 45. The sleeves were drill. If you are getting slim-fitting sleeves, I'd go with something slippery (sateen or like). Wool can grab onto sweaters if you wear them with the jacket.

Poul

Familiar Face
From a fellow midwesterner, at what temp do you find the alpaca too warm? I’m considering it for a 1/2 belt, but am concerned about limiting it’s useful range. It seems maybe better to go cotton and layer.?.
Yes dress thin sweater or buy tartan lining 10 Oz thickness and see how it works Well anyway cotton drill is the most durable fabric my pants was made from this material and ohh man its like steel nothing it does not move

You could go either way Bfd70. Alpaca isn't a lining so warm that it can be sweltering. I usually quit wearing a leather jacket when it gets into the 60s and switch to a denim, Carhart or something lighter weight. If it gets in the 40s and down to freezing I may layer with the Alpaca or grab a shearling.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I have a J106 rather similar to the jacket you are considering, and it has a beautiful blue Tartain lining (wool) in the body, with cotton drill in the sleeves. Personally while it looks very nice, I agree with others that I would suggest cotton drill throughout given your intended usage. I have a 30's HB with cotton drill and recommend this for a daily driver of a jacket.

So since you are taking about using this one as a daily driver, here's a couple of other thoughts for the Ridley -

Shoulder straps - consider leaving these off if you wear a backpack often, as they tend to come un-snapped often, kind of a nuisance (I know there's another name for these but forgetting it now).

Add shoulder gussets for freedom of movement

Consider a western simple point V yoke for a little character on the back

Belt or no belt? My J106 has one, I find it moves around a lot taking the jacket on and off. Something else to think about if you want or not.

Hope this all helps, enjoy the process!

DSC_0035.JPG DSC_0027.JPG IMG_4790.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 762

Poul

Familiar Face
Guys who living in US. I have question.
Pergamena tannery in NY Hudson Valley is it worth the money. They produced goatskin cowhide and calf vagetable tanned..If anyone had to deal with them? What about the quality is it the same like Horween here is a website pergamena. net

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You could go either way Bfd70. Alpaca isn't a lining so warm that it can be sweltering. I usually quit wearing a leather jacket when it gets into the 60s and switch to a denim, Carhart or something lighter weight. If it gets in the 40s and down to freezing I may layer with the Alpaca or grab a shearling.

I don't disagree HD but if we stopped wearing leathers in the 60's, we'd almost never wear them at all. 60 degrees is an average winter day. The rest if the year it is 70 to 108.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto