Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero long half belt - goat skin and shearling

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I've always wanted a trenchcoat in goat, though I suspect we'll have to wait for a genetically engineered goat the size of a cow before that's practical... ;)
I like the sound of a “trenchgoat” - I wonder if such a beast exists among the FL members…? It would be the perfect hide for the drape. I have a goat A1 that I cannibalised (cut off the bottom knits and rehemmed by hand) that I think has the best drape of all my jackets - it looked awful in its original incarnation, with the dreadful “free spare tyre” effect around the waist - but with the knits gone it looks miles better….though clearly not “period correct” now!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@JohnS33931 Nice combination goatskin and shearling. It will handle the cooler days much better than CXL and a lot more comfortable to wear. I wonder why I haven’t thought of that before.
Also the zippers sometimes needs some wax to glide smoother. I just rub a candlestick back and forth along the zips, especially at the start. It does the trick in wet and cold mornings.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
@JohnS33931 Nice combination goatskin and shearling. It will handle the cooler days much better than CXL and a lot more comfortable to wear. I wonder why I haven’t thought of that before.
Also the zippers sometimes needs some wax to glide smoother. I just rub a candlestick back and forth along the zips, especially at the start. It does the trick in wet and cold mornings.
Yes - I think CXL is good in the wet but gets too stiff when it starts to get really cold, so goat seems the better bet for dealing with the rain with shearling lining for the warmth.

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
I wish I'd thought of goat for my shearling lined LHB. Having asked for the thickest shearling and thickest FQHH available I ended up with a steel suit.

If I hadn’t read your post about your long half belt and shearling liner, I wouldn’t have thought to go for the goatskin. So, many thanks to you and all the other members who replied to your thread. This is a great place for info and I hope I can be of help as well!

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
If I hadn’t read your post about your long half belt and shearling liner, I wouldn’t have thought to go for the goatskin. So, many thanks to you and all the other members who replied to your thread. This is a great place for info and I hope I can be of help as well!
I have posted this new arrival on the What Jacket Are You Wearing….thread, but thought it should also be added here to follow on the conversation. This is the black badalassi Wayfarer, with dark brown mouton collar and body lining, with padded wool rayon sleeves and storm cuffs. It is a custom order with shortening in body and sleeves by a couple of inches too. I had asked for no wrist straps but this got missed in production - I can live with them but would have preferred them left off to give a cleaner look. It is a great jacket and perfect for the colder weather before the ANJ4 gets wheeled out - it is not overly bulky, v warm and with a nice thick and tough leather that does not stiffen up like CXL in the cold. V happy with this experiment and it fills a gap I had been struggling with for a while - the original plan was to go for goatskin for greater water resistance, and I might revisit that plan for a follow up, but the badalassi is really amazing and the best leather Aero offer now in my view. So, if going again I would look into these options and go for a brown outer and then with the oair I should be totally set for winter months!
AE02A42E-1976-44C3-9564-3E6FBB827943.jpeg
75F7CE20-8D27-4279-B25F-A80C813A0A05.jpeg
A81BBD8B-173B-4FF4-B0E8-272D4313605A.jpeg
06A70845-D6F8-49EF-B002-FFDC3D0A3448.jpeg
72C5C993-8A47-4620-B304-E9F6114F2C11.jpeg
C1197A3D-D66B-458A-82D0-A87E0508F898.jpeg
E5591E38-1864-4DDF-9A40-E50D6F56D4B5.jpeg
257958D2-4446-4078-A62A-D90A5245F55C.jpeg
The only other tweaks I am thinking of would be to add a throat latch (like the M422a) and to ditch both the wrist and side straps….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL