Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Long Half-Belt order

andy richards

Practically Family
I am about to order an Aeroleather Long Half-Belt. On the FL are some members who already own such a fine jacket and I would like some information before ordering. Also I would like your opinion about the detail I would like on this jacket:
- Brown FQHH
- Inner "pistol"-type pocket on left panel
- Inner pocket withe name and blood-type on right panel
- 3" panel on lower part of back panel
- American style cuffs
- no knitted wool cufs
- Brown cotton drill cloth
- Maybe a shallow "V" shaped yolk on front and back

What do you think about this?
Also, is the LHB boxy in standard fit? I like a more snug fit, but roomy enough to wear a sweater. My Highwayman is a size 42 and fits me perfect, though my suit size is 44, lenght is 6.1 ft, weight 193 Lbs. What are your experiences with LHB's regarding sizing? Thanks guys!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hi Andy, having just gotten a 30s halfbelt I have a couple of things. Mine has the cotton drill lining. When wearing it with a t-shirt the drill is pretty rough on the skin at the elbow. While this might get better as the horsehide wears in more, I'd suggest lining the arms with nylon. Also, I'm pretty picky about the cuff diameter. I like a cuff to hit my hand at just the right spot and not feel like its too big. If I was custom ordering from Aero I would measure for a minimum circumference needed for the cuff.

Hope it goes well for you and I'm sure you'll love the jacket!

B

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I agree with Buler's suggestion about the sleeve

lining, if only for ease of on-and-off'ing the jacket. And, I'm a little murky about the "3-inch panel on lower part of back panel". Overall, it sounds like a beauty. I, we, will look forward to pics.

andy richards

Practically Family
:eusa_clap Thanks B and Jack,
It sure helps when you guys are evaluating about this subject. In my opinion one has to be very precise in how to custom build such a precious jacket. Your help is definitly appreciated! Thanks guys.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Go with olive drab Gabardine (B10/15 cloth) for the lining. It's as durable as cotton drill but a much finer and denser weave with a very soft and smooth surface.
3364556969_d7e947272d.jpg

If that still isn't soft enough for your skin order a synthetic overlay for the sleeves. It doesn't make the jacket bulkier and the Gabardine bias lining eliminates premature wear.

The LHB should already be less boxy than the Hwmn but if you really want a close fitting jacket order a LHB that's based on the 1930s HB. That one is based on a much narrower pattern which can also be turned into a 3/4 length jacket.

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks Doublegun and Jan for your input. Don't have a pic of the "pistol" type pocket though, but what I want is a deep pocket with vertical entry and snap-closure. Can't tell if anyone has done that with a LHB. That green twill looks great, Jan. Thanks guys!

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
I have those types of pockets on both sides in my LHB. They're very nicely done. If I had to do it over again, the only thing I'd change would be that I'd have the outside chest pocket (with the ball zip) deleted. The jacket fits pretty snugly and I'm sure I'll be using the inside pockets more than that outside pocket, and putting items in both that outside pocket and the inside pocket at the same time would probably result in a lot of bulk.

I'm not sure if "gun pocket" is a proper term for such a pocket. If it is, then it could be a little misleading. The opening really isn't large enough to slip in anything bigger than maybe a little .380!

Regarding the cuffs: I got the standard cuffs and they're perfect for me. Comfortable, easy access to my watch, and so on. But I'm very thin, with pretty narrow forearms and wrists. If you're bulkier in that area, you may want to consider some kind of snap cuff or customized circumference.

For lining I went with cotton drill in the sleeves and a custom tartan lining. They're both great. So far I haven't noticed any problems with the cotton drill being grabby or too coarse. Perhaps it's because of my skinny arms.

Doublegun

Practically Family
andy richards said:
Thanks Doublegun and Jan for your input. Don't have a pic of the "pistol" type pocket though, but what I want is a deep pocket with vertical entry and snap-closure. Can't tell if anyone has done that with a LHB. That green twill looks great, Jan. Thanks guys!

I have one on each side of my LHB probably big enough for a small frame wheel gun of a compact semi-auto.

BTW - was in shopping this afternoon and stopped in a mens store looking for a pair of heavy flannel wool pants. (virtually impossible to find). The men working in the store went nuts over my LHB. Ended up taking it off so they could pour over the details. They had never seen a jacket made with such high quality leather and made so well. When I told them the cost their eyes rolled. The price was more than reasonable.

I love my LHB - perfect coat for what I wanted and it looks good on me. You won't regret ordering one.

STW

Familiar Face
Splitcoil said:
...I'm not sure if "gun pocket" is a proper term for such a pocket. If it is, then it could be a little misleading. The opening really isn't large enough to slip in anything bigger than maybe a little .380!...
Doublegun said:
I have one on each side of my LHB probably big enough for a small frame wheel gun of a compact semi-auto.
Not in a LHB but the inside gun pocket in mine fits a full size Colt 45 auto just barely, and easily fits a Commander sized Colt 45 auto (4.25" barrel). The vertical leather pocket opening is 6.25" tall with a one-snap closure. The pocket interior has a dog-leg shape, or pork chop shape as sometimes described. Not that I carry Colts (or pork chops) in there:)

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks for your input, guys! Next week I will e-mail Amanda about my LHB and specific details. I will go for the OD green lining, Jan! If you guys have some pictures wearing the LHB I would be delighted! Thanks, great job! Andy

Lear

One of the Regulars
My Aero coat should (in theory) be ready soon.

I also went with the olive drab gabardine for the lining. I was told that it's slightly thicker than the standard cotton twill. It's thanks to JanSolo's post that I became aware of this option.

Thanks JanSolo.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Doublegun said:
What do gun pockets look like? Photos please?

I think this is what's being called a "gun pocket".

3705052800_7739ea1b0b.jpg

I used this style pocket on my Cheyenne. I believe JanSolo suggested that it would be a little more durable compared to the horizontal pocket placed in the lining. The horizontal pocket may stress the fabric lining and cause it to tear or sag as the lining fabric stretches.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Guess I have a "gun pocket" on heach side of my LHB. Not sure about carrying my Kimber CDP cocked and locked in one of those pockets. I am pretty sure the gun would fit, but I am not sure about being able to get the gun out quickly if I needed to. I think a small frame .357 would be ideal though.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Ooops a little late here, I just saw this but I'll put my $0.02 in anyway:

LHB looks great in brown fqhh. I'm a little biased since I have one! :)

I have inner (horizontal) pockets on both LHS and RHS. I'd probably opt not to have one on the LHS because of the outer pocket. But it's not bad.

Bottom hem panel is a great idea. An alternative to leather would be quilted liner fabric that matches the liner. I think green quilted would go well with the B-10 gabardine suggested above.

I wasn't going to get the storm cuffs but did anyway. I am glad I did since I wear my LHB a lot in winter and appreciate the extra protection from the wind. If you're the type that gets hot, then definitely omit them.

V-yoke: IMHO I would not do with one on front or back with this jacket. I think it'd give it too much of a western look, unless of course that is what you're after! :)

Bi-swing back: Be careful of the shoulder room you end up with the size you're ordering. I have relatively wide shoulders for my build and that ends up being a critical measurement for me. On my jacket the RHS bi-swing pleat tends to unfold even in a relaxed posture. I think the shoulder area is a little tight. If I had to do it over, I'd omit the bi-swing or go for the smaller configuration just around the arm holes.

The LHB (and the HB on which it's based) is a trimmer, more tapered fit than the Hwyman. I asked about taking in the sides and Aero advised against it since the longer length and side adjustments somewhat obviate the need for altering the bottom contours.

Just a guess but I would surmise that your prefer a trim fit based on your suit size 44 vs Aero 42? Between the LHB and Hwyman, I'd say the difference is in the lower belly and waist area. As stated already the Hwyman is a boxier cut vs a more tapered/trim cut of the LHB/HB. So if have an athletic build (V-shaped) then I'd go with the same size as your Hwyman and you'll end up with a trimmer fitting jacket. If you have waist room issues with your Hwyman, I'd probably go up a size in the LHB.

andy richards said:
I am about to order an Aeroleather Long Half-Belt. On the FL are some members who already own such a fine jacket and I would like some information before ordering. Also I would like your opinion about the detail I would like on this jacket:
- Brown FQHH
- Inner "pistol"-type pocket on left panel
- Inner pocket withe name and blood-type on right panel
- 3" panel on lower part of back panel
- American style cuffs
- no knitted wool cufs
- Brown cotton drill cloth
- Maybe a shallow "V" shaped yolk on front and back

What do you think about this?
Also, is the LHB boxy in standard fit? I like a more snug fit, but roomy enough to wear a sweater. My Highwayman is a size 42 and fits me perfect, though my suit size is 44, lenght is 6.1 ft, weight 193 Lbs. What are your experiences with LHB's regarding sizing? Thanks guys!

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks, that's very helpful information! I gave all my exact measurements to Amanda. And...I skipped the idea of the shallow V yolk. I thinks this would be too much. Thanks!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner