Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero on the 'bay

Traut

Familiar Face
I think this is something worth looking at. If I wore a 46 I would keep it my secret. Absoltely no connection to the parties.

What do you think?

Edward

Bartender
I don't follow the reasoning in the OP.... unless the implication is that it should be a matter of embarrassment to require a jacket of that size? [huh]

Looks like a nice jacket. Measurements are interesting - @48" round the chest, that puts it as being of a size with many sized 44 jackets I've seen from other makers. For a trim fit on an A2, though, that's probably about right. I love the colour of the leather, and the grain. Probably wouldn't wear one with the artwork, though - I like it on someone else, just not for me. I do have a hankering for one of Aero's CBI Field Modified jackets, done up as an AVG Flying Tigers jacket (I know they primarily wore USN jackets, but I'm sure I read somewhere that a few of them had managed to acquire and wore various pp jackets in a more A2 style?).... I'd have to be sure I could weather the inevitable 'Nice Top Gun jacket!' comments, though.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I believe this is a repro of a Flying Tigers jacket. If so, that may explain why the leather name tag is missing.

The patch on the front of the jacket is the insignia of the 357th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force based in England. The female character on the back of the jacket is 'Miss Lace' from the comic strip 'Male Call' done by Milton Caniff who also drew 'Terry and the Pirates'. Miss Lace was a very popular pinup in WW2 and decorated many bombers, fighter planes, and probably flight jackets.
misslace.jpg

lacepaint.jpg

The phrase 'Ding Hao' is Chinese. When I first saw the jacket, I thought it was painted in honor of Maj. James Howard, the only American fighter pilot to be awarded the Medal Of Honor in the European Theater. His P-51 was named, "Ding Hao". Maj. Howard was one of the original 'Flying Tigers' aces credited with six kills. After the AVG was disbanded, Howard went to the 9th Air force and assigned to the 354th FG. Except for the generic phrase 'Ding Hao', nothing really points this jacket as a tribute to Maj. James Howard, as the front patch is 357th FG/8th AF, not Howard's 354th FG/9th AF. [huh]
dinghao2PS

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Of passing interest the 357th were based just a short drive from my home now. That fighter group had the nickname of "The Yoxford Boys", due to the close proximity of the village of Yoxford, England.

I have been taken by the "romance" of the A-2 for about 20 years now, but never owned a respected reproduction. (I've have examined a few originals in museums though!) I suppose there are few other factual based legends as amazing as the original AVG tales, hence the ever popular Tiger's themed jackets.

Peacoat

Bartender
There is a sticky on that topic in another section, posted by our Head Bartender, Scotrace. It explains why it was previously not allowed and that things have changed over the years. If he says it is OK, I'm buying it.

[Edit Note] And Dean, why are you still a guest? I noticed that Paddy also carries that distinction.

Edward

Bartender
If memory serves, the policy of no live auction links was the concern that this would unduly draw attention to vintage items, the Lounge being a sufficiently large community-within-an-interest-group to distort market values. They dropped the rule recently in the belief that 'vintage' is now such an in-demand, mainstream thing that we won't make any real difference any more.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, Edward and Peacoat. This is what happens when you leave the radar screen too long. And I have no idea how I'm rated guest! I mean, I know I don't post much anymore, I fedora'd out a while back, but when I get one of Chapman's jackets I'll post pics and so on to beat the band. Really, I'm pretty sure it's a site upgrade thing. I hope.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thank you, Edward and Peacoat. This is what happens when you leave the radar screen too long. And I have no idea how I'm rated guest! I mean, I know I don't post much anymore, I fedora'd out a while back, but when I get one of Chapman's jackets I'll post pics and so on to beat the band. Really, I'm pretty sure it's a site upgrade thing. I hope.

Yes, it happened during the upgrade. And notice that Paddy is a Guest without even a location showing or the number of posts he has. It should all work out eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff