Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero or Eastman B3

Otter

One Too Many
I would like a little advice folks, I just sold my Aviation Leathercraft Irvin jacket as it was getting slightly tight across my shoulders. The replacement will be a B-3 but I want opinions and advice from owners of Eastman and Aero versios on which I should buy..........

John Lever

One Too Many
If you are near to the factory why not visit Aero to try one on ?
Eastman sell several variations of B-3 and probably have the edge on authenticity as Aero are really civi jacket makers. That said Aero will make a very solid jacket and will be prepared to custom make it if you need anything different.

Otter

One Too Many
Thanks John, I am quite near them, about an hour or so to drive. I have not been to the factory for about 15 years since I bought my ANJ-43. I have around 6 Aeros at the moment and usualy a 44 is a good fit for me. Might be a good excuse to drop by and say hello. When I was last there they had a very interesting showroom / museum with lots of WWII aviation bits and bobs including the silk escape maps.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you want communication with the company you choose, go with Aero. With Eastman, there is no communication. Just my experience, and a bad one at that.

SMF144

New in Town
Geez, Louise Peacoat. Your "one" experience has certainly gotten the better of you. I understand but...there's three sides to every story; your side, their side and the truth in the middle. I'm none-too impressed with my ELC Type A-2 purchased in 07/96 that has been slowly falling apart, but I am willing to give'em another try.

Peacoat

Bartender
Geez, Louise Peacoat. Your "one" experience has certainly gotten the better of you. I understand but...there's three sides to every story; your side, their side and the truth in the middle. I'm none-too impressed with my ELC Type A-2 purchased in 07/96 that has been slowly falling apart, but I am willing to give'em another try.

There is no "their side" of the story as they would never respond to my messages.

No experience with Eastman. Just received an Aero B3 last month and it's beautiful. Highly recommended, but only one brand so take for what it's worth.

Edward

Bartender
I've had excellent experiences with both. Aero are easier to get hold of as they have Amanda dealing with that end of things full time, but Gary has always come back to my emails quickly. I did phone him once as I had to send back a B2 cap to exchange for a larger size, and he was extremely helpful. It was clear from the background noise that I was speaking to him in the middle of a busy workshop, which would explain at least a delay in answering emails.

skytop

New in Town
I must respectfully differ. I have had very good communication and responses from Eastman. Just presenting my experience with Eastman.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
My experiences with Eastman and Aero for what they are worth are as follows;
I bought an Eastman A2 many years ago when Eastman were in their infancy(at this time I did not know that/if Aero existed!), from what I recall at the time there was only the A2, B3 and RAF jackets available and the A2 (which was my purchase) was limited to the type of hide you wanted(no manufacturers or special contracts), I went down to their factory and was measured by Gary, the jacket was delivered a couple of weeks later, I was and still am delighted with it! however a couple of years ago I decided I wanted a B6 and e-mailed Gary to ask a few questions I also contacted Aero and I never received a response from Eastman but Aero could not have been more helpful, consequently I went up to be measured for my jacket and again was delighted with the result! this has made me purchase again from Aero again although I accept that the Eastman may be the more accurate reproduction but again Aero tailored the jacket to me (I'm a 46" chest with very long arms, gorillaish!) and my fit is not suited to the 1940 physique, which is also a factor to consider when you order!

D

Jules

New in Town
My vote goes to Eastman only because i prefer the look and feel of their B3(and other sheepskins) but at the end of the day they are both top quality manufacturers so flip a coin.

Otter

One Too Many
Well, seeing as the thread has been revised I thought I would give an update. I bought an Eastman B3, although it was an older one, it was used as an extra's jacket during the filming of Memphis Belle and had then sat in the bottom of a cupboard for almost 20 years. It had hardly been used but had been given an antiqued finish and the Depot Refinnished look. Quality wise it was superb, the horsehide used on the sleeves was some of the best I have seen. The fit for me was a bit less so, probably due to my shape rather than any problem with the garment, I am a 44 chest and taper to a 34 waist so it ended up feeling like a potato sack on me, I just was not happy with it. I recycled it on the 'bay a wee while ago and I am now looking at a an ANJ-4 which might have a more fitted feel around the waist, comments anyone?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats