Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero over lostworlds

dortiz

One of the Regulars
is it Aero's vintage HH?

Not supposed to be. The rest of the Aero has great leather! Even the lower panel shows very different. The front and sleeves are sleek and great but the one rear panel looks bad.

zaman fu

Familiar Face
I think the cracking you describe is simply the grain of the hide showing through. Depending on how the leather is finished, when the whole horsehide is used, the wrinklier parts of the horsehide will show. Unlike with cow or steerhide, horsehide typically comes from much older, wrinklier animals. This shows on aero jackets. I'm not sure if LW only uses the smooth parts of a horsehide, obtains their horsehides from other countries where younger horses are routinely slaughtered, or has their hides finished in such a way that the very grainy parts are somehow concealed. It does look from the photos I've seen that LW does use a heavier finish, which could hide the heavy grain common in many horsehides.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Well if this is normal than someone can have a 42 Aero for 800 shipped and ready to go instead of paying more plus shipping and waiting 6 months to year. The front almost looks better than LW and feels as such but I am not a fan of this cracking in the back.
DSCN0410.jpg

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

Aether

One of the Regulars
That just looks like a nice bit of grain to me? Personally that's what I want from a horsehide jacket.

This is the grain on my FQHH Aero Halfbelt (sorry for the dodgy pic):
P1030542.jpg

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Well HD that last pic of the front under the collar does seem similar minus the big crack I have to have glued down and the other two spots that appear close behind. I guess its normal. The rest of the aging looks good but I dont like that leather rips open. That seems wrong. look at my farthest left finger to the right.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
This cracking looks very much like the "Warhorse" broken grain available on some Eastman jackets, I think it may be due to the way the hide is tanned! I may be crazy but personally I prefer a characterful hide to a very smooth finish!

D

If it's cracking through...or peeling open..then there is definately something very wrong...and Aero should replace the jacket...if it came like that. Out of all the Aero jackets I have owned(many)..I have never had that happen...and certainly would'nt consider gluing down any leather separated from the finish if it was sent to me that way.
HD

too much coffee

Practically Family
And that was my concern as well, HD. When dortiz mentioned "cracking" and "rips open", the red flag went up!

HD has a good point......you might want to send it back to Aero. That LW is gonna serve you well.
Best of luck with it, dortiz.

regards,
coffee

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Based on Amanda recommending gluing it down I went by my leather shop. He said I could not tear that wearing it a couple of times and on the bike and even if so that it would be wrong. He suggested I talk to her more before he messed with it. The first shots I sent were bad. I just figured out not using the flash is better so I resent these pics. They are on vacation so we will see what she says.

frussell

One Too Many
Lots of people incorrectly identify cracking, wear, and wrinkling as "grain." What you show in your photos is not grain. That's cracking, which to me would mean a poorly tanned, old, or over/undertreated piece of leather. Unless you did something to the jacket to make it happen, this is a defect. Normally I would see that kind of damage on old boots, or dried out leather that hasn't been well cared for. I worked with leather as a sideline for many years, and I'm waiting for an Aero right now as well. If that came to my door, I'd send it back. Gluing it will not change the fact that it's a substandard section of hide, and you'll likely run into the same problem again. Again, hard to tell exactly from photos, just my opinion as someone who is familiar with horsehide and old leather in general. Let us know how it turns out. Frank

One of the Regulars
Ortiz... the only wrong statement in this entire thread it's the name that you choose to name it.
I was tempted to answer you since you opened.
Glad that you finally realizes the true.
Wait until you see few of my latest LW gems.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I don't think that's a grain or crease issue either. It reminds me of those cheap biker jackets where the finish is like a thick varnish that cracks and eventually chips away.

Last edited:

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Just figured out that Aero made my collar wrong. I thought it was weird that a Bike jacket would have the collar just flapping aroud.
Dirtrider collar per Aero:

Dirtrider2pkt.jpg

My collar:

mail-1.jpg

Navin323i

Practically Family
Love your Aero jacket and the checkered lining, Dortiz! :)

I see you're in Leesburg... my family drives up there often to the outlets via the ferry (I'm in Gaithersburg).

Nice to meet local Fedoralounge members with Aero leather jackets too. :D

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Howdy and Thanks! You are right around the corner from me. If you know anyone that wants my coat. Its a 42. Better than waiting a 6 months to a year. I had a leather guy add a 3rd black snap so it not noticeable and now holds the collar back.
I just want to sell this one and get one done the way I wanted.
Guess I need to specify add a wind flap behind zipper, make the collar as Aero showed me and request a more plain back like Insurrection shows. If I can get $850 shipped I think I will just buy one from them anyway.

Here is where I addded the snap.

collarb.jpg

CollarA.jpg

Last edited:

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
The Aero cafe racer is a winner every time!

I don't own an LW, but certainly think the ryder is very cool design. However, I do own an Aero Cafe Racer and it's hands down the coolest jacket I have and will probably ever own. Mine has no side but two breast pockets and an elongated throat latch with a plain back. I am sure my kids will love it when I have become to old to sport that kind of cool. I am also quite sure the jacket is up to whatever they will throw at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic