Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero - Pinnacle HH in Cognac, Badalassi in Russet or Light CXL?

Cordo

New in Town
So I'm close to pulling the trigger on ordering a Premiere Highwayman jacket made from Pinnacle Horsehide in their Cognac shade. The problem is that every photo I've seen online (and on this forum too) shows widely varying degrees of the cognac color, ranging from something closer to the Russet color in Badalassi Steerhide to something like a classic shade of brown.

Truth be told, I'm also on the fence, because the Badalassi Steerhide looks incredible in the Russet color and the photos seem more consistent as far as the color is concerned. But I've always wanted a horsehide leather jacket, and the Pinnacle does sound great.

Would love to hear any experience the forum members have here with either Pinnalce HH in Cognac or Badalassi in Russet.

And while it doesn't seem like Aero carries any Light CXL in a color similar to Cognac, I'm wondering how Light CXL compares to the other two leathers. Any strong preferences here?

Last edited:

mvilla

A-List Customer
Do you mind squeaky squeaky noises? Badalassi is gorgeous and breaks in wonderfully, but you need to get used to sound like an old leather couch on a cousins meeting at grandma's

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Temper, softest to stiffest
Pinnacle, Badalassi, CXL

Thickness, thinnest to thickest
Pinnacle, Badalassi, CXL (Thin CXL is thinner but there is no guarantees)

Sound, quietest to loudest
Pinnacle, CXL, Badalassi
The sounds of Badalassi is only noticeable in cars, elevators...etc. anywhere there is small space and people aren't talking. Out and about you're just fine as most would not continue to wear jackets in inside space. Cars, trains, planes..etc.

Finishing (I am looking at it from a luxury item point of view)
Badalassi has an slight edge over the Pinnacle and CXL. But when you get a good batch of CXL nothing can beat it. But unfortunately no thin CXL in lighter browns.

Inside pot lighting, Cherry CXL on the far left, Russet Badalassi is the middle one, and Cognac Pinnacle is the one on the right.
IMG_1554.JPG

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Cognac Pinnacle or Russet Badalassi. The latter sings in small spaces but its pros far outweighs its one and only con, and Aero is a good place to get a taste of the Badalassi without breaking the bank.

If you are in the US, I would actually suggest to go through TB so you can test drive a fit jacket first, preferably in one of the two leathers, and definitely in the PHwyman design. Also at this point I would strongly suggest a half belt design like the Speedway over the PHwyman design. Both looks similar from the front, but the half belt back is much more versatile and flattering look when use the side cinches.

Cordo

New in Town
Temper, softest to stiffest
Pinnacle, Badalassi, CXL

Thickness, thinnest to thickest
Pinnacle, Badalassi, CXL (Thin CXL is thinner but there is no guarantees)

Sound, quietest to loudest
Pinnacle, CXL, Badalassi
The sounds of Badalassi is only noticeable in cars, elevators...etc. anywhere there is small space and people aren't talking. Out and about you're just fine as most would not continue to wear jackets in inside space. Cars, trains, planes..etc.

Finishing (I am looking at it from a luxury item point of view)
Badalassi has an slight edge over the Pinnacle and CXL. But when you get a good batch of CXL nothing can beat it. But unfortunately no thin CXL in lighter browns.

Inside pot lighting, Cherry CXL on the far left, Russet Badalassi is the middle one, and Cognac Pinnacle is the one on the right.
View attachment 579573

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Cognac Pinnacle or Russet Badalassi. The latter sings in small spaces but its pros far outweighs its one and only con, and Aero is a good place to get a taste of the Badalassi without breaking the bank.

If you are in the US, I would actually suggest to go through TB so you can test drive a fit jacket first, preferably in one of the two leathers, and definitely in the PHwyman design. Also at this point I would strongly suggest a half belt design like the Speedway over the PHwyman design. Both looks similar from the front, but the half belt back is much more versatile and flattering look when use the side cinches.

Really appreciate the detailed response and photos. In your experience, what results in the best patina over time? CXL, Badalassi or Pinnacle? I'm guessing it might be too early to say on Pinnacle, considering how new it is, but would you say there more depth and subtlety in CXL over the other two leathers?

I was seriously considering the Speedway but couldn't find enough photos online of anyone wearing it to compare the fit of Speedway to Premiere HWM. Do you have any photos of your Speedway that might be helpful?

Also is Cherry CXL the same color as Cordovan CXL or are those different shades of CXL?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Really appreciate the detailed response and photos. In your experience, what results in the best patina over time? CXL, Badalassi or Pinnacle? I'm guessing it might be too early to say on Pinnacle, considering how new it is, but would you say there more depth and subtlety in CXL over the other two leathers?

I was seriously considering the Speedway but couldn't find enough photos online of anyone wearing it to compare the fit of Speedway to Premiere HWM. Do you have any photos of your Speedway that might be helpful?

Also is Cherry CXL the same color as Cordovan CXL or are those different shades of CXL?
Most CXL will fade / top finishing rubbing off to show the veg tan core. Only natural CXL will darken and burnish and turn into brown ish CXL.

Badalassi is suppose to have the most potential for best patina because it has been stuffed with so much fat that they're known for. But there is also a squeaky top coat so that sort of slows things down.

Pinnacle is too new now. I don't know which way it's gonna go.

Speedway has the half belt back so the fit is much more forgiving than the Premier Highwayman which has its belts on the bottom:
Speedway
speedway.jpg

Premier Highwayman
1705188290126.jpeg

The Speedway also has more "premium" features than the premier Highwayman imo. It's got the unibody collar that naturally spreads, it has the lining that goes all the way to the zipper (very pre war fancy jackets design), it has the oval shaped bottom opening that really follows the body curve better than the flat straight premier Highwayman hem. It also has nicer riders curve sleeves. Its truly the hidden gem that got lost in the Aero catalogue. I think people shy from it because of the back length. But 24" is plenty on the Speedway, it measures short but fits long because of the oval bottom opening. I am getting another crack at it in a bigger size the next time Aero runs the sale, in Pinnacle or CXL hides, not sure yet.

Cherry CXL is basically one shade lighter than the color 8. Both awesome colors. I think cherry is actually color 4, my best guess, not sure exactly.
Cherry vs Cordovan (color 8), cherry has no navy hue, and is a shade lighter than the cordovan color 8
IMG_1556.JPG

Cordo

New in Town
Most CXL will fade / top finishing rubbing off to show the veg tan core. Only natural CXL will darken and burnish and turn into brown ish CXL.

Badalassi is suppose to have the most potential for best patina because it has been stuffed with so much fat that they're known for. But there is also a squeaky top coat so that sort of slows things down.

Pinnacle is too new now. I don't know which way it's gonna go.

Speedway has the half belt back so the fit is much more forgiving than the Premier Highwayman which has its belts on the bottom:
Speedway
View attachment 579976
Premier Highwayman
View attachment 579977

The Speedway also has more "premium" features than the premier Highwayman imo. It's got the unibody collar that naturally spreads, it has the lining that goes all the way to the zipper (very pre war fancy jackets design), it has the oval shaped bottom opening that really follows the body curve better than the flat straight premier Highwayman hem. It also has nicer riders curve sleeves. Its truly the hidden gem that got lost in the Aero catalogue. I think people shy from it because of the back length. But 24" is plenty on the Speedway, it measures short but fits long because of the oval bottom opening. I am getting another crack at it in a bigger size the next time Aero runs the sale, in Pinnacle or CXL hides, not sure yet.

Cherry CXL is basically one shade lighter than the color 8. Both awesome colors. I think cherry is actually color 4, my best guess, not sure exactly.
Cherry vs Cordovan (color 8), cherry has no navy hue, and is a shade lighter than the cordovan color 8
View attachment 579978

Woah these jackets look great on you. Sorry would have responded earlier but it's been near impossible to get a page to load on this forum.

I'm curious, based on your experience with a new Pinnacle and new Badalassi jacket, which one do you think has more "color depth" (I don't know if that's a real term)? By color depth I mean greater depth in patina and shades against different lighting conditions. Sometimes you'll look at a new leather jacket and it just appears as one solid block of a color with little variation and doesn't really look all that different in different lighting conditions. And then other leather jackets, even when new, have variation and depth and differences in patina across the jacket.

All that to say, how would you describe the differences between cognac pinnacle and russet badalassi in the existing texture and color itself rather than its potential?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Brand new leather comparison Badalassi has slight more depth, probably because it’s a bit thicker than the Pinnacle.
I wouldn’t count the Pinnacle out though. It is more naked than the Badalassi so it has potential to pick up patina fast. And horsehide can have surprising grain development.
It will come down to color and temper, Pinnacle has more red, and is even softer than Badalassi which is already quite pliable.
If you’re deciding between the two I would suggest to get a small sample and you’ll know for sure.

Commisar

New in Town
So I'm close to pulling the trigger on ordering a Premiere Highwayman jacket made from Pinnacle Horsehide in their Cognac shade. The problem is that every photo I've seen online (and on this forum too) shows widely varying degrees of the cognac color, ranging from something closer to the Russet color in Badalassi Steerhide to something like a classic shade of brown.

Truth be told, I'm also on the fence, because the Badalassi Steerhide looks incredible in the Russet color and the photos seem more consistent as far as the color is concerned. But I've always wanted a horsehide leather jacket, and the Pinnacle does sound great.

Would love to hear any experience the forum members have here with either Pinnalce HH in Cognac or Badalassi in Russet.

And while it doesn't seem like Aero carries any Light CXL in a color similar to Cognac, I'm wondering how Light CXL compares to the other two leathers. Any strong preferences here?
I went pinnacle horsehide and love it. Note that currently Pinnacle is offered in Congnac, Black and Brown only.

My fit jacket was Badalassi and it was heavy duty and smelled and looked absolutely heavenly.

Flip a coin and you'll be set.

Commisar

New in Town
Do you mind squeaky squeaky noises? Badalassi is gorgeous and breaks in wonderfully, but you need to get used to sound like an old leather couch on a cousins meeting at grandma's
That noise eventually stops

Takes a good amount of wear but you'll eventually break in and wear the leather

Cordo

New in Town
I went pinnacle horsehide and love it. Note that currently Pinnacle is offered in Congnac, Black and Brown only.

My fit jacket was Badalassi and it was heavy duty and smelled and looked absolutely heavenly.

Flip a coin and you'll be set.

Neat. Would you mind sharing some photos of your pinnacle jacket?

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Nice but we want to see pics 'in the wild', on you to get a sense of real life fit, drape, etc.

Commisar

New in Town
Nice but we want to see pics 'in the wild', on you to get a sense of real life fit, drape, etc.

There we go.

That was the jacket's 4th wear ever.

Break in was easy. It fit better and better and it's draping better.

Sadly with Texas weather and 24/7 WFH till June I probably only have.... One more chance or really give it a good wearing until November or December.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner