Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero regrets - details you would have changed

univibe88

One Too Many
I am planning to order my first Aero and have been reading all of the old threads I can find. In reading them I have found a handful of comments about how one wishes he had thought to ask for a certain detail, or regrets choosing one option over another.

For example:
Having a loop sewn into the collar for hanging the jacking on a hook
Not asking to have the inside of the outside flap pockets lined
Chose cotton lining but wishes he had wool because... (or vice versa)
Etc...

I ask that anyone who has purchased an Aero please post about the realizations he made after receiving his jacket - the details he wishes he asked for or the decisions he wishes he made differently.

My hope is that anyone planning on his first (or subsequent) order can learn from these regrets and come closer to the "perfect" jacket.

Thanks!

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
aero

Hi Univibe, if it's a Highwayman, I had extra inside pockets added, something
I find very useful - they don't charge for this either. And if I was really pushed to change something? Maybe a tad longer in the body, but that is more to do with my body shape than the jacket, so I guess Mike K. has already nailed it there with his comment.

I agree about correct measurements. Plus most of my Aero utilitiy jackets have the regular tarnished Talon Zipper...that is usually a bear to zip up. I heard they now are using a different Zip....but the zip pictured below(Shiny brass or gold Talon with long puller) glides smooth up and down like butter.
This HalfBelt was purchased from Aero Sale page...and also has two inside G-1 type(Zippered)pockets which is a nice feature.

100_0412.jpg

HD

rjbaal

New in Town
I agree with making sure your measurement are right. Mark at Aero USA is extremely helpful in this regard.

Also, you should understand how the jacket you are ordering is suppose to fit. For example the 30's halfbelt and cossack have the lower taper in front. Make sure you take these style details into account when ordering.

On my recent purchase I would have added a hanging loop if I had known.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I would have bought a vintage Talon and had it put on instead of the repro Talon that finally broke and was replaced with...a vintage Talon. Also,had I known that I was going to lose (and keep off) 20lbs.,I would have ordered a size 40 instead of a 42.:) Other than that I have no regrets with my Real Deal which has years of hard wear and is looking more and more like the "real deal" all the time.

Rufus

Practically Family
Aero are great to order from and very communicative. I'd definitely recommend 1 if not 2 inside pockets, for wallet and phone. (You don't want them both crammed in one!).

Make sure you get leather samples from them before ordering to determine colour.

Apart from that....Enjoy!

:) Rufus

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
No regrets...

Aero make good product and a lot of it but the "vintage" collar shapes don't quite do it for me. I think a few of their styles could benefit from a more vintage styled collar shape(and maybe some other details). Maybe with some of them, its the weight/thickness/stiffness of the leather that doesn't allow the collar to lay correctly and do its thing.
I see a similar thing with older Eastman Roughwear A-2 collars- size and fall/lay-down.

Interior pockets- I think sometimes it's a shame that after a little wear, the welt of the interior pocket shows through to the outside and the outline of the inside pocket becomes apparent, creates a high spot on the exterior, which wears and reveals the inside pockets.

If I were to order another Aero jacket, I think I would have to be clear over the weight of the leather, for the particular application and tweak their styling a little to meet my criteria. Some of their stock '30s styles could be tweaked generally to make for a more vintage styling. Hardware upgrades, even though perhaps small beans to most consumers, many have expressed their disappointmen- an upgrade would generally make for a superior product.

My opinion and my requirements, from my experiences and listening to others.

B
T

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'm still waiting for my new jacket to arrive, so I don't have any regrets. Well, not just yet...

There are two things that I agree with Belly Tank.

The first is that some of their hardware could be nicer. They were OK with me supplying my own buttons, and I got some nice (and overpriced :() ones from MacCulloch and Wallis.

The second is that I wasn't too keen on one or two details. Again, Aero were happy (at least I hope they were :)) to accommodate my demands. I'm getting a very highly modified Cossack, and Fuad got a one-off style in his Admiral Byrd Jacket, so they can be very flexible.

So if you see something that you don't like, as them. They will be able to change it, and Amanda is amazingly helpful and patient.

From my previous experience, I've found that Alpaca wears out really quickly if you carry any kind of shoulder or backpack. My Hercules has a quilted rayon or satin liner (Aero have discontinued this), which has worn better, and my forthcoming jacket will have cotton drill.

The cotton is also a lot cooler, and means that the jacket should be wearable year round. Previous ones have been too warm to wear in the UK except between October and March or April.

I've gone for Cordovan this time, which has a reputation for bleeding like a stuck pig. Previous jackets have been black, but I wanted a change this time because the black doesn't age in an interesting fashion. Cordovan lightens and darkens in patches with wear, as does cherry.

I'm a big fan of Aero Leathers. This will be my fourth jacket off them over a period of about twelve years.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I would have only done one thing different on my half-belt. It comes standard with Alpaca wool lining and internal knit storm cuffs, which I changed to cotton drill, and plain cuffs, thinking it would be way to warm except in the dead of our Canadian winters. Turns out i should have left well enough alone. Being heavy horsehide, it's a pretty weighty jacket, but not really very warm.

Brian

rjbaal

New in Town
HoosierDaddy said:
It is an Indian head penny framed in a gold colored coin frame....attached to the Talon diamond shaped zip pull.
HD

Thanks The addition is a great touch. Is it something you thought up on your own or did you see it on other (vintage) jackets?

rjbaal said:
Thanks The addition is a great touch. Is it something you thought up on your own or did you see it on other (vintage) jackets?

Thanks
It was something I thought up on my own. I found a IndianHead penny at an antique shop in a tarnished coin holder charm. I thought It looked kinda rustic and interesting...so I hung it on my HighWayMan. I got so many compliments...that I also picked one up off of eBay for my newer HalfBelt. Copper seems to develope a nice patina...where a siver coin turns black. Plus ...I think the IH penny seemed a good size for the pocket.
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
A leather hanging loop is not available, at least for the FQHH jackets, as Will said the jacket would be too heavy and might just tear the loop off.

With FQHH, you want to use a good, strong, wide wood hanger, if possible, to hang the jacket up.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
a ReGret i was able NoT to regret...

i read this thread last night, before finalizing my purchase of my 'luftwaffe' customized highwayman...all the options of the highwayman that would render a near replica of a ww2 luftwaffe jacket are chosen for this...

however, size was still an issue...and while size options are probably NoT what was meant to be discussed in this thread, this bit of info may be something you'd regret if you hadn't known...

the very patient and gracious (southern accent included) mark moye of aero usa had talked to me a number of times where my size seemed to be a 44, then a 46, and then something that needed a bit of both...my 16" neck and 44 3/4" chest were probably a bit small for a size 46...however my shoulders and height of 6'1" went in that direction...so about the fourth time i discussed what size to get with mark, he mentioned an instruction to the coat builders that was "take large turnings" on a size 46...

mark said this was akin to making a size 45, which is non-existent...taking the "large turnings" apparently bring the body/torso of the jacket in about a half size, while keeping the shoulders of the original size...conversely, mark said one could "take small turnings" which would keep the chest/body/torso size, while bringing up the shoulders a bit, or upsize one-half size...so if one wanted the body/torso of a 44 but wanted perhaps a bit more room, and slightly larger shoulders, they could do that...

he went the 'take large turnings' on a 46 with me because i was basically a 46, and a 46 would have fit, but have that slightly oversize or comfortable look...so this refined it down a bit...taking a 'small turnings' on a 44 would have not quite been enough since my chest inch count was on the cusp of going into the 46 size

i had no concept that these type of refinements in sizing existed, and clearly mark moye knows not only how to warmly deal with people, but he knows his leather and coat building...

so, along with the linings and custom zips and stuff you might have regretted not optioning for on your aero, i'd include this sizing refinement option...i hope i didn't open up a floodgate and make mark's life harder when people start bringing this up, but i think it's important to know if you are going to drop $800 on a jacket, and it ends up beautiful, but slightly off in size so that it just doesn't quite satisfy as much as it could have...i know i've spent at least $1000 in jackets learning the variances in sizing on different a-2/g-1 jackets...it's certainly a pleasure to the pocketbook to have a guy like mark know how to help you, so you don't have to learn by paying for mistakes

no regrets johnnyjohnny

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I have had several phone conversations and e-mails back and forth with Mark and he puts alot of effort to ensure YOU get the jacket that YOU want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff