Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero relaunch of Brando On The Waterfront jacket

Plumbline

One Too Many
I don't mind changes to the original where they are improvements and as such I see the adjusted pattern and the one-piece back. You wouldn't want messed up stitching, as the original surely had, either, would you?

If it's a "perfect replica" .. yes. ( and I don't know if the original had messed up stitching .... and if it did then that would be what would be a "Perfect Replica" .. not my words but Aero's from the website). I'm not sure either that the alterations are an improvement (adjusted pattern, one piece back, plaid alignment, lining, material & pattern, zipper, collar size) ... they're just different. I'm not even sure the original fit would be tolerable to many today... it's snug, short and basic.

This isn't a "perfect replica" ... it's a really nice jacket ..... with some pretty obvious differences from the original and it's clearly inspired by the original and a nice reproduction. This may be a bit VLJ-ish but the differences are pretty fundamental.

A number of people have produced reproductions or jackets similar to the Waterfront through the years .... some good, some better .... the Aero reversible was a GREAT jacket ( again with flaws vs the original ) and I never really liked the green check ..... I'm sure this will be a worthy successor .... but a "perfect replica" it's not.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I wonder how this one would look with a natural off white fur collar...

I think pretty good. I have one of the green ones from some years back, which was my first new Aero. Still love it - actually, I prefer the green a bit overf the red. Hummed and ha'edc for al ong time over whether to buy another because I specc'ed it like an A2 (which it sort of it, really - just wool), so not enough space for layering under. I'm thinking seriously of buying one of these red ones a size up with a warm lining so I can wear it in colder weather. A mouton collar would be a good choice if you're prone to chafing your neck on a rough wool collar otherwise.

If I could sell a couple more things, I'd order one, even though the wear-time will be low here. Not concerned about the "perfect replica" piece on this type of jacket - only that it looks good and fits well. As I said before, aligning the patterns on the pockets is my biggest gripe with such jackets and I'm happy to see Aero do it right!

I'd definitely want a light weight lining to max the amount of time I could wear it....
I'd love it if you could get a different lining...the alpaca and wool would bake us boys here. I'm generally not that fond of alpaca linings. I've had two or three of them and it's warm, but not my fave for sure...

Cocker

Practically Family
A mouton collar would be a good choice if you're prone to chafing your neck on a rough wool collar otherwise.

With a mouton collar and the Alpaca wool lining, I guess this could make for a nice fall/winter jacket as we rarely go below -5°C here in Belgium.

@ButteMT61 , maybe worth checking with Aero if they are willing to customize it with another lining?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd love it if you could get a different lining...the alpaca and wool would bake us boys here. I'm generally not that fond of alpaca linings. I've had two or three of them and it's warm, but not my fave for sure...

Looks like AdeeC has just pulled the trigger on one & is getting it with a cotton as opposed to Alpaca lining. I love the look of these & cotton would be far more practical here too generally.

I must not give in to temptation.......

Looks like AdeeC has just pulled the trigger on one & is getting it with a cotton as opposed to Alpaca lining. I love the look of these & cotton would be far more practical here too generally.

I must not give in to temptation.......
I'd like to get the G-1 style lining myself. Since I normally am wearing a flannel shirt, etc. it grabs far less...and would be somewhat cooler...
I could buy one if I sell you my G-1... hmmm. ;)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd like to get the G-1 style lining myself. Since I normally am wearing a flannel shirt, etc. it grabs far less...and would be somewhat cooler...
I could buy one if I sell you my G-1... hmmm. ;)

This jacket business is full of dilemma's......:)

Jejupe

Practically Family
Bumbing an old thread for a Waterfront related question:

How thick is the wool on this jacket?

I have ordered one with cotton drill lining but I am having second thoughts about the lining. I am thinking of going back to regular quilted lining.

Edward

Bartender
Bumbing an old thread for a Waterfront related question:

How thick is the wool on this jacket?

I have ordered one with cotton drill lining but I am having second thoughts about the lining. I am thinking of going back to regular quilted lining.

I think, from memory, it's about 22-24oz, but best bet, as always, is to drop Aero a line - they'll be able to tell you right off what they use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner