Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene fan thread!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Handymike, it appears your "Seven" has the zip sleeves in the back rather than front which I much prefer. I am also intrigued with the Board Racer pattern that, as I understand, is based on the Buco J-100 design rather than the Cafe Racer. Anyhow, it is great to have the Sheene and Seven jackets shown in this thread too as the concepts of the two jackets is so similar in look. Below is a thread from a couple of years ago comparing the Cafe Racer and Board Racer designs that I found interesting both then and now. It is my understanding that Thurston took both CR and BR patterns , added a HWM collar to each pattern, and then named each one the Sheene and Seven. BTW @AeroFan_07 thanks for starting this Sheene thread too.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-cafe-racer-vs-board-racer-size.83504/

Last edited:

SJC

Suspended
I know this is a popular jacket around here, however I don't see a lot of posts about it. Perhaps many of us are busy just wearing them. So I wanted to start a new thread devoted to these modified Cafe-Racers, which seem to be all purpose jackets overall. Show us photos of your jackets! What options does your have, what leather and lining? What would you different if you ordered again?

I'll start the ball rolling with the FQHH Size 44 shown below. I'm the second owner of this Sheene. If I were to order this one new I would go with Olive drill collon lining only, and perhpas Steerhide but that's a toss up.
View attachment 81334 View attachment 81335 View attachment 81337 View attachment 81338
Wow, that jacket is a beauty. I will have to scour the pages on Thurston Bros rough wear to see if they have it for sale.

Man this thread is a sore reminder of how hard I blew it when I ordered a 30's HB over one of these. Bunch of really cool jackets here.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man this thread is a sore reminder of how hard I blew it when I ordered a 30's HB over one of these. Bunch of really cool jackets here.
Ton, your 30's HB was an awesome jacket with some really cool mods. In the end I just don't think it was cross-zippy enough for you!
I totally agree that there are some very cool jackets showcased in this thread. This is the fit and the look I was hoping for when I bought my first Aero, a stock Highwayman from Thurston Brothers. Looking at all of these great Sheenes makes me want one too.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Tony, I don't think you blew it at all when you ordered a 1930's HB over a Sheene as the two jackets are different enough that you can buy BOTH without duplication. All you have to do is order a Sheene in a different color. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking with it. :rolleyes:

I will say the fit of a Sheene is more exacting with less room for error than a 1930's HB because of the side straps on the latter that doesn't have the sharp taper from the pit to the waist the Sheene has. Fortunately, I was able to fine tune the fit of my Sheene by borrowing a Sheene from a good friend here, and I was able to obtain a perfect fit by having 2" added to the circumference of the waist (1" added to each side panel) and setting the back and sleeves at 27" from a standard size 42 CR pattern. I suspect that a size 44 Board Racer (or Seven) with back and sleeves at 27" might work equally as well, although I'm not completely sure that the tight shoulders would work for me with the BR pattern.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In all honesty, the Sheene should have been my first, maybe second jacket. Its taken me way too long to get one. Now I've got it, its as good as I had hoped. Such a versatile jacket. I love it.

View attachment 81350

Cafe Racer base
Smaller August collar
Seal Vicenza leather
1 interior pocket opposite side to the outer chest zip
Handwarmer zips modified to be in the down position when closed
Removed both interior and Exterior kidney panel
Single V Yoke.
Capercaillie Tartan lining

At a real push, the only thing I would do is add maybe 0.5 inch to the length. I don't think it "needs" it at all, I'm just used to longer jackets.

That's perfect. that's exactly how I imagine it.
do you have a link from the back of the jacket, please? Do you only have v yoke or also gussets?

Shine

New in Town
Natural CXL Seven

Attachments

• 7AD0435C-B0C4-405F-AB26-0286184BBA13.jpeg
    7AD0435C-B0C4-405F-AB26-0286184BBA13.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 860

JacketFit08

New in Town
Love the Sheene so much. Aero FQHH has my heart!

So to confirm, if there is a kidney panel on the back it is a Seven and if the back is one panel of leather it is based on a board racer?

Attachments

• A3EAF591-1F72-4195-BBEC-8C3F422D4F5D.jpeg
    A3EAF591-1F72-4195-BBEC-8C3F422D4F5D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 770
  • 84B61833-64DA-4EAC-BCDA-390DDD732BA6.jpeg
    84B61833-64DA-4EAC-BCDA-390DDD732BA6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 941
  • 1462CBC0-D2E3-42E2-9A0B-BF52CEBC5027.jpeg
    1462CBC0-D2E3-42E2-9A0B-BF52CEBC5027.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 950

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Love the Sheene so much. Aero FQHH has my heart!

So to confirm, if there is a kidney panel on the back it is a Seven and if the back is one panel of leather it is based on a board racer?

The Seven is based on board racer, more straight line shape. Sheene is based on Cafe Racer, more V taper.

My Sheene is one piece back no gusset. But my cafe racer is one piece back with shoulder gussets and kidney panel. I think Aero has a couple different Cafe Racer configurations so that might translate to the Sheenes as well. I think the board racer has a Buco inspired package which probably gives different options to the back over the regular board racer (not 100% sure on this, but pretty sure I've seen the board racers tagged as board racer and as board racer buco)

abone

A-List Customer
I'm about to place an order for a custom Sheene with Carrie. Early in the process, however here are my preliminary specs:

*CXL FQHH, probably in natural
*light creme contrast stitching
*two upper zip pockets
*inside pocket on right side, no closure
*hand warmer pockets...humming and hawing if zipped or not
*zip sleeves facing rear
*no gussets
*V back yoke
*external kidney panel
*tartan lining of some sort...humming and hawing on colour
*wind flap...not sure if its wise, or even avail on a Sheene

I'm 5'10, 180-185, 42" chest with longish arms. I wear 33" or 34" waist jeans, depending on the cut.
I'm 65 years old so my best days are still ahead!
I do ride but I've got other jackets for that. However it would be good to jump on for a day ride in this jacket too, work on the patina.

From reading FL I do know the external kidney panel isn't universally loved, but I like that look.

I mention CXL FQHH in natural, but am open to other suggestions. Heavy hides don't bother me. My Vanson Oxford Whidbey is 6 lbs + and I don't find it a bother at all. It's brown, so I want something different with this.

Any comments or recommendations on what I might be missing?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Sounds like a great build. Going with Carrie is 100% the right idea every time.

I would have you consider cotton drill as a liner for the whole jacket - more durable and honestly very nice to look at as well. Could go olive drill as the color if not black or brown.

I would skip the windflap personally.

I would also consider the inner kidney panel too, as it helps cut back on lining wear & tear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner