Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene Fit

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Thanks Will. I don't think the sleeves are bunching due to the length, I think its probably because they were tight around biceps for the original owner. I hope the bunching will improve after some time and post some love from Obenauf, as the arms are looking a bit dry to me vs the rest of the jacket. Maybe conditioning will help

trainspotter

A-List Customer
thanks @Guppy. I like the color(Brown CXL), contrast stitching as well as the pattern, BR elements on a CR base. I think its a unique jacket(most Aero Customs are)

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the new pics. The jacket looks great, especially the hide vis-á-vis the stiching, and the fit seems to be spot-on for your taste/use. Also the mix of diverse elements add uniqueness to it.

You can get the sleeves fixed if you want, but all in all I think it's a great find.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
from my own feeling it is too long, but I guess from your TV program you might live in asia (india?) if that's the case it is not worthwhile to send a jacket only for minor sleeve alteration across the ocean.
try to wear it over thick sweater sleeve that fill in the sleeve snugly, wet the sleeve a little and sit with your arm folded behind your head, and hold that pose while watching TV until the wetness completely dry, try to make more set in upper sleeve creases, it might help.

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
Thanks @navetsea . I will definitely try that. By the way I am located in British Colombia, Canada

Can forum members recommend any good leather alterations point in Vancouver region?
I am living in Vancouver. BoundAries Leather and The Original Leather Factory. BoundAries shortened my schott b3's sleeve before for 55. The original leather looks like a better place.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Thanks @KissMyMuscle , I will get in touch with them soon. How was the work done by BoundAries on your schott? As per Carrie from Thurston Bros, I shouldn’t get into alterations since it will mess up with the zipper length
But if there is a good alterations shop recommended, I would consider taking my chances

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
Thanks @KissMyMuscle , I will get in touch with them soon. How was the work done by BoundAries on your schott? As per Carrie from Thurston Bros, I shouldn’t get into alterations since it will mess up with the zipper length
But if there is a good alterations shop recommended, I would consider taking my chances
If you care a lot on details , I won't give them the aero. My schott isn't something that delicate and I don't care that much, the results is ok. The wrist opening is kind too large since they didn't narrow it only shorten it. Try contact original to see if they can nail the works. These two are just above average leather shops in Vancouver since you ask for local shops. Other shops won't even shorten sleeve with zippers. If you want the perfect works, try to contact Johnson leathers in US, I heard they are amazing.

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
In my opinion, the sleeve looks fine, I won't risk to ruin the perfect detailed jacket. I shortened my schott because it was too long that make the upper arm shape like a ballon.

lina

Practically Family
They don’t shorten the sleeves at the bottom, but rather remove them and shorten them higher up (at least someone good), so the zippers should not be affected. I have a hand drawn pic of the process somewhere by the person who shortened mine, whose name I am inexplicably forgetting right now! I’ll try to find that info.

FWIW, I would shorten the sleeves if possible. If You can get someone local to do it will save a lot and shipping, and make it much more Do-able.

patrick_b

One of the Regulars
Consider Johnson Leathers in SF, CA for alterations as well. Excellent work.

That jacket fits so well everywhere but the sleeves. For a second hand jacket, well done!

zebedee

One Too Many
Be careful with sleeve alterations- sleeves are better too long than even a little too short. Extra sleeve length can be compensated for by layering, but sleeves that are too short will be bad over a single layer and comical over a sweater or the like. I have rarely has sleeve shortening done successfully - the one guy who I always go to in the UK I have always gone to - and he just won't do things that won't work (luckily), or I'd have ruined coat sleeves over small alterations that I thought they needed.

Mandarin

Practically Family
I agree with those who think alterations are risky .
Better a bit too long than the opposite.
What @navetsea said is a good method: if you do the water treatment, let the jacket dry on you, and make sure the zips are pulled all the way, so the cuffs are as narrow as possible. That way, they shouldn't fall down to your thumbs.

Try using a steamer first. It’s a lot quicker, and you can easily target where you heat. Just wear the jacket, steam up the sleeves, and while they’re still warm push them up to mid-forearm/elbows. As the waxes cool, it will help set the creases. A sweatshirt underneath might soften the “rolls” a little if you like. CXL can handle it without a problem. You can also use the steamer to shape the collar so it doesn’t look so “fresh-from-a-box”...steam the underside, and shape the collar until cooled.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto