Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene Natural CXL

Hh121

Banned
would have a hard time putting the leather in most Schott jackets I've handled above Aero leather, but Schott runs a pretty wide gamut in my opinion. The best Schott leather I've seen looks amazing, but a lot of it is frankly kinda pedestrian, though still above most "fashion" makers.
I mean the horween hide from Schott, not their regular one.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Can't see any stretch marks on that jacket, just some normal grain, no clue what loose grain is supposed to be. It's a natural product, it's not going to look all even and same everywhere, unless it is corrected leather. If you are unhappy with the jacket, that's fine, but don't put it on the maker or material, there's no issue there.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
As a friend of mine said to me about a job choice: 'You're letting the perfect spoil the good' (which I thought was quite profound when we were in the pub, but then realised later that he'd stolen the phrase from Picard in the new Star Trek [which normally I'd never watch, but he insisted, so now I think that he has less profundity and still think that Star Trek is awful] ) - but the point is solid.

Your friend may have gotten it from there, but I think Picard probably got it from some ancient Greek philosopher.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Thanks @zebedee . I do indend to wear the hell out of the jacket, natural CXL looks better as it patinas, changes color and all, and I really look forward to getting that on my jacket
@torfjord wow man your jacket looks awesome, I hope my jacket gets this darker shade of brown sooner than later :)
Thanks @HoosierDaddy, actually mine has few stretch marks at the front bottom of the jacket, and as @torfjord said, they actually look better and give more of a marbling look
@jacketjunkie as I said earlier, I love the jacket and intend to keep it, since it is an expensive purchase for me, I was erring on the side of the caution. The loose grain pictures I posted earlier were NOT from Aero, but it was Natural CXL Steerhide, and I certainly know the guy who received that jacket was mighty unhappy with it, since the parts having loose grain felt significantly thinner than the rest of the jacket. I also know that the maker promptly acknowledged the issue and sent him a new one, so it ended well for all.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
@Guppy, was able to measure the jacket’s weight today, comes at around 4.1lbs. A bit lightweight considering the other two Sheenes of mine in CXL FQHH are exactly 5.3 lbs

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@Guppy, was able to measure the jacket’s weight today, comes at around 4.1lbs. A bit lightweight considering the other two Sheenes of mine in CXL FQHH are exactly 5.3 lbs

Thanks for the report. That does sound light.

I weighed my Sheene at 6.0 lbs (the black heavy steer one). I forget offhand what the cordovan FQHH one weighs, a bit less I imagine, but not a lot less.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Even my Aero CR and Schott P663, both in CXL Steerhide weigh in at around 5.5 lbs. Isn't Aero supposed to specify if the jacket is made of lighter CXL in case the weight is varying to the tune of 35% lighter than usual?

Even my Aero CR and Schott P663, both in CXL Steerhide weigh in at around 5.5 lbs. Isn't Aero supposed to specify if the jacket is made of lighter CXL in case the weight is varying to the tune of 35% lighter than usual?
I’ve had Aero alert me if the hide is lighter than typical. TBH it never swayed me away from a purchase. I always ask for the heaviest available hide, the problem is more that the heaviest hide isn’t always available. For my next Aero I will ask for the heaviest available in either horse or steer. Whichever is heavier at the time of production. I personally don’t value one majestic beast over the other.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Checked with Carrie, she explained that leather is of normal aero thickness & weight. She says FQHH CXL jackets usually vary in weight between 4-5 Lbs. I really never noticed the apparent weight difference till I got a weigh scale and was able to measure
In any case, here is a fit picture of the jacket. Boots are also Natural CXL, albeit in steerhide
EE93EBE6-22A5-4F24-B01C-EBA865B607E8.jpeg

View attachment 235391 As I said before all of this is highly subjective but I don’t see why stretch marks on natural cxl would be undesirable. When I found the hide with these stretch marks (natural veg tan cow) I was super excited to build a brief case out of it. I think it looks amazing!

Don't know if I'd actually call those stretch marks. If they are, they are much more subdued and acceptable than LW's weird 'in your face' stretch marks..IMO.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Don't know if I'd actually call those stretch marks. If they are, they are much more subdued and acceptable than LW's weird 'in your face' stretch marks..IMO.

I would say they are definitely stretch marks, unless there’s a different meaning to the word than I think. English is not my first language.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot