Aero Sheene Natural CXL

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by trainspotter, May 15, 2020.

1. Hh121

Hh121 One Too Many

I mean the horween hide from Schott, not their regular one.

2. Looks great to me. In fact the grainier the leather the better most often. Yet LW's actual 'stretch marks' are not my idea of desirable.

Guppy likes this.
  3. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Can't see any stretch marks on that jacket, just some normal grain, no clue what loose grain is supposed to be. It's a natural product, it's not going to look all even and same everywhere, unless it is corrected leather. If you are unhappy with the jacket, that's fine, but don't put it on the maker or material, there's no issue there.

4. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Your friend may have gotten it from there, but I think Picard probably got it from some ancient Greek philosopher.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  5. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Voltaire, but you can't bring that up after a few pints.

Fonzie, Bfd70, Cornelius and 2 others like this.
  6. trainspotter

trainspotter Familiar Face

Thanks @zebedee . I do indend to wear the hell out of the jacket, natural CXL looks better as it patinas, changes color and all, and I really look forward to getting that on my jacket
    @torfjord wow man your jacket looks awesome, I hope my jacket gets this darker shade of brown sooner than later :)
    Thanks @HoosierDaddy, actually mine has few stretch marks at the front bottom of the jacket, and as @torfjord said, they actually look better and give more of a marbling look
    @jacketjunkie as I said earlier, I love the jacket and intend to keep it, since it is an expensive purchase for me, I was erring on the side of the caution. The loose grain pictures I posted earlier were NOT from Aero, but it was Natural CXL Steerhide, and I certainly know the guy who received that jacket was mighty unhappy with it, since the parts having loose grain felt significantly thinner than the rest of the jacket. I also know that the maker promptly acknowledged the issue and sent him a new one, so it ended well for all.

torfjord likes this.
  7. trainspotter

@Guppy, was able to measure the jacket’s weight today, comes at around 4.1lbs. A bit lightweight considering the other two Sheenes of mine in CXL FQHH are exactly 5.3 lbs

Guppy likes this.
  8. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks for the report. That does sound light.

I weighed my Sheene at 6.0 lbs (the black heavy steer one). I forget offhand what the cordovan FQHH one weighs, a bit less I imagine, but not a lot less.

9. trainspotter

Even my Aero CR and Schott P663, both in CXL Steerhide weigh in at around 5.5 lbs. Isn't Aero supposed to specify if the jacket is made of lighter CXL in case the weight is varying to the tune of 35% lighter than usual?

Guppy likes this.
  10. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I’ve had Aero alert me if the hide is lighter than typical. TBH it never swayed me away from a purchase. I always ask for the heaviest available hide, the problem is more that the heaviest hide isn’t always available. For my next Aero I will ask for the heaviest available in either horse or steer. Whichever is heavier at the time of production. I personally don’t value one majestic beast over the other.

Carlos840 and Guppy like this.
  11. trainspotter

Checked with Carrie, she explained that leather is of normal aero thickness & weight. She says FQHH CXL jackets usually vary in weight between 4-5 Lbs. I really never noticed the apparent weight difference till I got a weigh scale and was able to measure
    In any case, here is a fit picture of the jacket. Boots are also Natural CXL, albeit in steerhide
    EE93EBE6-22A5-4F24-B01C-EBA865B607E8.jpeg

12. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

With a fit that good let everything else go out the window!
    Sometimes I think that the wait for a jacket causes us to build up unreal expectations in our mind and delivery can be anticlimactic.

torfjord and trainspotter like this.
  13. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

Agreed!

14. Don't know if I'd actually call those stretch marks. If they are, they are much more subdued and acceptable than LW's weird 'in your face' stretch marks..IMO.

15. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

I would say they are definitely stretch marks, unless there’s a different meaning to the word than I think. English is not my first language.