Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero sizes and leather grades

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm sort of on a budget, but I really like the Aero Barnstormer. It seems from previous threads that Aero is well thought of around here, but I'm still left with a couple of questions.
First, does anybody know if they are roomy enough for a guy with a gut? Also, does anybody know how their listed sizes compare with American coat sizes?
Finally, how does the Jerky Horse Hide compare with the Heavy Horse Hide? I ask because I'm not so sure that I can afford the 3H. Can anybody help me?
NB

Barry

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
I'm sort of on a budget, but I really like the Aero Barnstormer. It seems from previous threads that Aero is well thought of around here, but I'm still left with a couple of questions.
First, does anybody know if they are roomy enough for a guy with a gut? Also, does anybody know how their listed sizes compare with American coat sizes?
Finally, how does the Jerky Horse Hide compare with the Heavy Horse Hide? I ask because I'm not so sure that I can afford the 3H. Can anybody help me?
NB

I bought a size 42 Standard Highwayman. At the time I was 15lbs heavier than I am today and I had (ok, still have) a gut. It still fits quite well. If you e-mail Mark or Amanda they should be able to give you some guidance.

I cannot compare the FQHH to the Jerky but I will tell you that the FQHH Highwayman is one tough jacket. It's very heavy and still practically stands up on its own.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought a new horsehide A2. I did a lot of research and Aero was one of my top 2 choices, although in the end I opted for a less expensive competitor and I am VERY pleased! Aero is a great jacket, and as I sit here typing this, I've got the Aero leather samples sitting on my desk!

Of the horsehide samples, I have: Jerky Horsehide Russet, Horsehide Brown, Smooth Horsehide Russet Brown, "Jerky" Horsehide Seal Brown, and Oil Pull Horsehide Brown.

(ETA: I have corrected this part after talking with Mark. The samples they send out are scraps used from the cutoffs or less than perfect areas of a hide. So, it isn't really the true leather you're going to get on a jacket - it is just for color and general feel.) Out of all of those, the Jerky Horsehide Seal Brown is very soft, and feels slightly lighter compared to the others. Granted, it is still a very nice leather, it just doesn't have that typical "super stiff" horsehide feel to it. The Jerky Russet is about a notch above that. Of course, you have to remember these are just from the samples.

The heaviest and stiffest are most definitely the Oil Pull Horsehide Brown and the regular Horsehide Brown. The smooth Horsehide Brown falls in between those and the prior set. I would say it is more of mid-weight and not quite as stiff.

They are all really nice colors! If you email the American Aero rep Mark Moye at aeroleatherusa@aol.com I'm sure he will be glad to mail you the sample packet as well.

Baggers

Practically Family
As long as you give Aero correct measurements and are upfront with them regarding your build, the finished product should fit just fine. Just remember, the more information you can give them the better. The Barnstormer isn't one of their more fitted models (mine is nice and roomy -- check my avatar) and should do you nicely. Just start a conversation with Mark or Amanda, they'll take care of you.

Cheers!

JWG

Familiar Face
I have a seal jerky A2---don't let the samples fool you---it is very thick and rugged!

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Grab all the samples you can get. I have the "Jerky" Horsehide Seal Brown (veg-tanned), "Jerky" Horsehide Russet (veg-tanned, Front Quarter Horsehide Black (Chrome tanned), Front Quarter Horsehide "Cherry" (chrome tanned), Front Quarter Horsehide Brown (chrome-tanned), Front Quarter Horsehide Cordovan (chrome-tanned), Smooth Horsehide Seal Brown (veg-tanned), Oil Pull ("Oily") Horsehide Brown, Oil Pull ("Oily") Steerhide Brown, Goatskin Seal Brown (veg-tanned) and Buffalo Russet.

Why do I recommend that? The heavy stiff leathers have less give when it comes to fit, whereas the lighter weights may be a little more forgiving.

Mark and Amanda will definitely help. As mentioned, give them all the information you have, including a shirt size, the standard chest, sleeve, back measurements and also waist and if your gut is bigger than your waist, toss that in as well. My experience with the Aero jackets is that they tend to run tight, so proper measurements are critical. If you want/need a little room, let them know. They are great at communicating so make sure you are sure of exactly what you want before you toss out the credit card info.

Then do not forget that you can have certain modifications depending on the jacket. You may be able to add interior pockets, add a bi-swing back, change standard sleeves to zip sleeves etc. One regret I have with my jacket - and the ONLY regret - is that I did not add a locker loop on the jacket or a chain. Coat hangers are not always handy. Live and learn as I will be ordering a Jerky Horsehide Highwayman soon, I think...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy