Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero slimfit motorcycle jacket aka Ridley

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first leather crosszip jacket has arrived.

As a teenager, I once had a fabric cross zip, but never leather. At the beginning of the 80s, leather jackets from Erdmann were popular, but they were a) too expensive and b) very motorcycle-like. But I would have liked them.
Anyway, now I'm ready for Crosszip and when I saw an Aero Ridley here in the forum, it was clear that I needed exactly this one.

Aero produces the Ridley model exclusively for Thurston, but offers a slimfit motorcycle jacket for everyone else, which can then be configured as desired.

My choice fell on blackened brown Vicenza with brass hardware (not aged), olive cotton drill and olive contrasting seams. No epaulettes, no belt, no belt loops, no gussets, but the J106 pocket setup.

The size is a 44, because Holly said based on my desired measurements and pictures of my Cafe Racer in 46, the slimfit jacket is small and therefore 44 is the best size. Of course with longer sleeves and body.
Because the leather is so soft, the jacket looks a bit bigger. The only thing that has room for improvement would be 0.5-1 inch less P2P, but the 0.5 is within tolerance and I don't find it dramatic.

Vicenza leather because my Cafe Racer is actually too heavy and too stiff for me for everyday use. The Vicenza is a dream. Soft, but still firm, smells good (even if Shinki smells even better), feels good, drapes good. I'm curious how it will be when I've been wearing the jacket for a while.

This jacket definitely has the potential to become a grab'n'go jacket. So far one of the best jackets I have.

Many thanks to Holly and Chloe from Aero, who once again showed a lot of patience with me and Julie for making this great jacket.

Here are a few better pictures, unfortunately without sun.

D5620ECF-34A7-4A64-BF31-FBC3D38EE589.jpeg
DFE5DCFC-596A-4961-8D59-D6244CAAF626.jpeg
62EF467B-F8D1-434A-B2D7-727E0F79CC86.jpeg
32A1D493-4539-4CEF-88CA-F6002C9A78A4.jpeg
C982AF56-0A8D-4D8A-B91C-E8980187FF59.jpeg
10F85C5E-B1CD-4401-81C8-1C3AE58CD673.jpeg
B685851D-9549-4DB2-81F7-A86D22889111.jpeg
AF658D2E-101C-40B9-AAF5-0946D365CFA7.jpeg
4250DE17-672F-445F-B11D-52482D2DDDF5.jpeg

dannyk

One Too Many
1. Incredible and I love it! And yeah the P2P could be a touch smaller but as you said within normal and fine range.
2. Its amazing what difference the lighting makes. In your original unboxing photos it looked incredibly brown. Here its obviously very black with just a touch of brown. It will be a fun jacket to see how that changes under changing lighting conditions.

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
It's gorgeous. I've been considering a SB biker model and was going to go with brass & brown because I already have 2 Schott black cross zip. But now seeing yours, I might do a black teacore with brass. And seeing the biker style without epaulette also locked in the idea to do the same. Makes it more "formal" and less biker but will still have the attitude with the cross zip, extra zippers/pockets, etc. and will make different than my Schotts.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Perfect, congrats! You've made me check Aero's website to see whether they have something similar on stock in my size :)

MrProper

Thank you very much to all for your kind words. I appreciate that.
I also think that the fit is quite good. I was a little panic before the delivery that my measurements might not fit. Jacket too long or too short, waistband or shoulders too wide or too tight, etc.
But Aero adhered to almost all dimensions without using the 0.5" tolerance. Unfortunately, my Fieldleathers jacket had these tolerances downwards and therefore this is my jacket to wear open.
The Crosszip is so good that I'm afraid I won't wear my Cafe Racer anymore. maybe I'll still sell them ;)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Perfect!! Looks so very nice there, I really like the simpler design of yours. If I were to do my Ridley again, i would likely have omitted the belt and belt loops.

Also - as always great work with the photography! Background works perfectly for those shots.

marker2037

Practically Family
Perfect fit. Can't get much better and the style suits you.

Did you get gunmetal or antique brass snaps instead of straight brass? And did you remove the leather pulls on the pocket zips? I was always curious how non-leather pulls would look on mine.

Anyone know where I can source some diamond chain pulls in antique brass to match the antique brass talon zippers?

MrProper

That looks really fantastic! I have the same exact specs on my Ridley... just don’t look nearly as badass as you though! Congrats on a truly perfect jacket for you. View attachment 275550
Thanks a lot.
You have a cool jacket ;)
probably the only difference is that selfies in the mirror show less of the jacket and I wear the collar differently.

Perfect fit. Can't get much better and the style suits you.

Did you get gunmetal or antique brass snaps instead of straight brass? And did you remove the leather pulls on the pocket zips? I was always curious how non-leather pulls would look on mine.

Anyone know where I can source some diamond chain pulls in antique brass to match the antique brass talon zippers?

The color of the push buttons is called antique at Aero but it actually looks black. Maybe antique nickel.
I removed the leather straps from the pockets, left them on the sleeves and the main zipper. But they can easily be put back on again. I found it too much visually.
The zippers are not antique, but normal brass. I thought it might be a good thing if they age themselves.
Diamond chain pulls would be nice, but unfortunately I didn't pay attention to them when ordering.

@all: thanks again for your kind words :)

marker2037

Practically Family
I un-antiqued my antique brass buttons to show a bit more brass. It can be done FYI, but I do warn you that one of them, the coin pocket, was actually copper underneath. A neat quirk though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm