Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Speedway

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok,

Here are the fit pics of the original LVC version of the speedway in the Blue Black Goat.

It is only 20.5 inches long at the back, just hits around the belt level which means the half belt is really high on the back...doesn't look as bad as i thought it would with that short a measurement. I spoke with Holly and their standard lengths are designed for someone 5'10/11" which I am so this IS the correct length for me in this style.

I like the goat leather but the whole blue black isn't as big a deal as I thought it might be. You can see here some of the distressed areas showing some blue.

I do really like it, the blue doesn't stand out as much as I thought it might....but thinking about it, its probably better that way. While I was disappointed I couldn't order a new one with the same leather from Aero, after seeing it in person, that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I'm happy with this one so unless anyone thinks there is a glaring fit issue, I'll keep this...the wife thinks it looks fine but she doesn't get the whole "leather jacket thing" ;)

As for the lining, yes its crap...3 big tears and will have to be replaced, just trying to see if there is a decent local option as sending to Scotland will triple the price!

Last edited:

Mr Badger

Practically Family
That looks really good, chap! I would, however, think about investing in some jeans with a higher rise, to complement the cut of the jacket – don't forget, fellas wore their pants much higher back when that jacket pattern was popular ... nowt too high, but a mid-rise, relatively narrow leg model such as the LVC 1944s or Edwin Nashville jeans would look much more in keeping!

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hello Gents... just wanted to update this old thread and say that I'm the proud new owner of ProteinNerd's 1 of 1000 LVC/Aero Blue-Black Goat Hide "Speedway" jacket (or as LVC officially called the jacket, the "Blue-Black Jacket". Speedway is a better name though in my opinion, lol.

ProteinNerd actually sold the jacket earlier this year to a gentleman in Australia who gave the jacket as a gift for his dad, but he didn't like the jacket so the son put the jacket back up for sale on eBay and I snatched it up, sent payment today, and should receive the jacket hopefully soon. I'm excited to own my very first goat hide leather jacket, and the blue-black goat hide as well as the fact that this was a limited run for LVC/Aero appeals to the "uniqueness factor" that I prefer. Will post up pics as soon as the jacket arrives.

I also learned (and confirmed from Ken at Aero) that some of these jackets were made of buffalo hide but that these were most likely made in Turkey after the initial run of 1000 goat hide jackets that Aero made.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Congrats! I know how you feel about uniqueness- I scored a super rare Vanson Enfield HH in cordovan here on the forum and a I feel like a rock star when wearing it! Ha ha

Navin323i

Practically Family
Congrats! I know how you feel about uniqueness- I scored a super rare Vanson Enfield HH in cordovan here on the forum and a I feel like a rock star when wearing it! Ha ha

Nice to meet you, Morrison and congrats!! The Enfield HH is one of my dream jackets I hope to own someday. Keep me in mind if you decide to sell it and if it's at least a size 44 or larger. :)

Post up a pic of the jacket if you haven't already. :)

ProteinNerd

I can fill you in as I haven't seen Navin post in a while. My "old" jacket that Navin ended up with turned out to be a bit too small for him and he somehow talked Aero into a straight exchange for a really nice looking Route 66 in his size from their sales page. I believe Aero were happy to get one of the LVC Speedways back for their display/museum.

If you are interested in the speedway in particular, a few of us here have had a try with them but they are a REALLY short jacket and they seem to get sold on. The back measurement for a size L is only 21.75 inches. I really loved the style myself but it was just too short in the body and at least 1-1.5 inches too short in the sleeves as well.

In an attempt to "replicate" one I'm waiting on an order of a premium half belt at more normal length with the speedway back design in Thurston Bros Vicenza leather. I wasn't sure if Aero would go for it but it didn't seem to be a problem.

jonbuilder

I appreciate the up date ProteinNerd. I working with Johnson Leather on a Levi reproduction having trouble locating pictures or original 30s and 40s Levi jackets. I have requested a 24" back and 3' front drop on my canvas test jacket due this week. I am 5'8" with the short legs modern size 42
Here are pictures of I levi reproduction jacket my new jacket will be based on.
front.jpg back.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart